Poker guilt anyone?

MoCoSolo

MoCoSolo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I posted yesterday about making a foolish "mistake" after making it deep in a $1,000 freeroll, but the reality was that I was suffering from poker guilt and went all-in with the intent of busting as my wife was sitting across from me.

I pretty much neglected my wife and two small kids to play in the many poker freerolls during Thanksgiving and I was definitely feeling a sense of guilt by the end of the night.

Anyone else have experiences of suffering guilt from playing poker?

Win or lose in terms of a winning session, do you ever feel like it's a losing session because of POKER GUILT?

Some personal openness shared here, so no need to try to make me feel worse. I took the kids to Six Flags today and gave my wife a break for the whole day to make up for it but they didn't really say anything.

007Leon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Until now, no, I never feel that

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Sounds like you may have some family issues at home. In the end every player is converting time into entertainment and hopefully some positive return on any time and money put into the game. But when you're playing freerolls and in doing so missing out on quality time with family, you may be losing more than just the time you put in. Maybe consider taking some time to sit down with your wife and children and see how you can improve your situation at home. Spend more quality time with them..

MoCoSolo

MoCoSolo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like you may have some family issues at home. In the end every player is converting time into entertainment and hopefully some positive return on any time and money put into the game. But when you're playing freerolls and in doing so missing out on quality time with family, you may be losing more than just the time you put in. Maybe consider taking some time to sit down with your wife and children and see how you can improve your situation at home. Spend more quality time with them..

Maybe more personal issues, our family is fine overall and it was just the one day.

Just hard to fit in any poker time with a family while full time working. Was just trying to play extra during this week off.

Thanks for your thoughts though. Definitely a conversation that should still be had.

Goku55

Goku55

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah it definitely happens

I’ve gotten to a point where I’ll play poker all day long and even gotten myself into situations where I lost money that was for bills. It definitely gets to you weather it’s someone at home texting you when you’re at the tables to feeling like you have to play real fast and aggressive because you almost want to bust so you don’t have to say you quit. But sometimes it’s better to play free rolls while they’re there and try to work them into your schedule if possible but if not just get the next one or just set a day once every 3 months to go play at a table. But sometimes I can’t even take my own advice, I will tell you that family is important and should always be #1.

Z

Zeke67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ditto

Yes. I did the same thing. Spent all day on Thanksgiving playing in all the freerolls. Accomplished my goal of cashing on one(free ticket).

Z

Stay Safe

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
The main thing is to win more often and buy gifts for the family. You get pleasure and a guarantee that there will be no problems:icon_bigs

ivanlt18

ivanlt18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Considering you have a family and you aren't a professional poker player, I would say to focus first on what comes first, family.
Poker might be your best entertainment yeah, playing football is my best entertainment, but I don't play football for 6 hours a day. So it seems like you need to define a schedule if your best entertainment takes away that amount of time and puts you away from your number one priority (should be).
Maybe you can give a heads up about you taking a day off to play poker.
Poker guilt?: thats seems to be completely subjective since they might not take your poker session as a crime.
We have a saying here, translated would be like: "People understand each other by speaking"

Have a nice day!

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never feel guilty, though, I'm also married and have two daughters, but my poker game is pre-planned and all my family knows about it.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never felt guilt in poker, my advice would be that you plan better the time and hours to play poker and that it does not interfere with your family time

EmiTou

EmiTou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know, sometimes what you say happens to me, fault of playing poker, then I lose by wanting to speed up some movements, the time and I end up making mistakes for wanting to finish the game soon.

R

Ron112355

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Next time please just sit out, pushing all in with crap cards is unfair to the remaining players.
Instead just say sorry have to go and sit out, that way your chips are equally up for grabs instead of being an advantage to just one player.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is time for everything to play and to share with our family, you must have a schedule to play and days off to share with the family, online poker will always be there with good tournaments to register when we want, but family moments and special days we have to enjoy them with our relatives.

MoCoSolo

MoCoSolo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Next time please just sit out, pushing all in with crap cards is unfair to the remaining players.
Instead just say sorry have to go and sit out, that way your chips are equally up for grabs instead of being an advantage to just one player.

By that logic, you're technically giving an advantage to one table over other tables.

Technically, every player had the chance to call the all-in and win the pot.

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just play when my family is sleeping already

A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everything in life can be organized and fit, poker has to play 24 hours a day 7 days a week, why not try to find a time for the game and another for your family?
when they are sleeping? take a few hours for the game.
but i assure you your family is more important than anything, including poker.

Kenad_MNE

Kenad_MNE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker guilt only when you lose the money you hardly earned on stupid games like spin and gos and grand tour, like playing bingo

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I posted yesterday about making a foolish "mistake" after making it deep in a $1,000 freeroll, but the reality was that I was suffering from poker guilt and went all-in with the intent of busting as my wife was sitting across from me.

I pretty much neglected my wife and two small kids to play in the many poker freerolls during Thanksgiving and I was definitely feeling a sense of guilt by the end of the night.

Anyone else have experiences of suffering guilt from playing poker?

Win or lose in terms of a winning session, do you ever feel like it's a losing session because of POKER GUILT?

Some personal openness shared here, so no need to try to make me feel worse. I took the kids to Six Flags today and gave my wife a break for the whole day to make up for it but they didn't really say anything.

Well, the best what you can do is to learn out of it. Select the time for your poker sessions properly. Nothing shall distract you, especially guilt because of you neglecting something important in your life to play poker. It's a bad idea in general playing poker with any negative thoughts or feelings - tilt is pre-programmed.

Take poker as your side business, which takes a lot of concentration, which it basically is. Plan it carefully when you play and when you're having time with your family. Bring some order to your life and you will see much better results in your poker game and your family will be happier too.

And tell to your family, that when you're playing poker, nobody shall disturb you. It's very important. Poker is not just like playing video games - it's a serious mental work. Only if you approach it seriously you will have good results. Otherwise you're just wasting time & money gambling.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to spend too much time playing poker and my loved ones were offended by me, now I try to pay more attention to my family, I believe that the family is more valuable than poker.:)

funnyhook3

funnyhook3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is best not to spend money on poker or other gambling if you cannot afford to spend that money. Set aside a small part for yourself and if you can spend them, then play)

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is true that poker tends to take up a large part of our time. which forces us to spend less time with the family. I always try to manage this state of affairs as best as possible and not to neglect my social life. when we don't have clear ideas and negative thoughts prevent us from playing our A game. it's not a good time to play poker and it's better to postpone our session until later.

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you need to be with your family. Is it really worth spending 6 hours to cash maybe $70? I think poker guilt was probably good for you in this instance, but really, if this is a common occurrence for you, you should consider cutting down the time you play poker. As a hobbyist it is best to play very casual hours, hence why I stay away from large MTTs unless I have the time to run deep.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't get away from family responsibilities. We all have to plan our personal free time for poker. I am already an elderly person and it is easier for me. Children live separately.