Poker: Game Theory, Mathematics, or Psychology?

pirucasjc

pirucasjc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Poker: Game Theory, Mathematics, or Psychology?​

ficticius

ficticius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
EC
Chips
The good thing about poker is that it understands a little bit of all three parts you have to be good at all three to be good at poker

S

s0ftdumps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you mean "or" ... it's "all".

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Very difficult for me, but I have an opinion (at the moment) the result of all calculations is final only after the river and after showing the cards.The 1% chance seems a bit high to me🤔.
Psychology is essential for everyone, but it can be full of holes and gaps. You have to choose in such a way that you are satisfied with the action. 😴

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker is a combination of many factors. It includes game theory and mathematics and psychology and even a little luck. In order to be a good player, you must understand all these areas. Each person must understand for himself that in poker everything depends on how he assesses the situation and what decision he makes. At first glance, this is just a card game, but in fact, everything is much deeper, and people who have been playing poker for many years, I think, will agree with me. Thanks to this game, you can develop many personal qualities and skills.

Belliswolf

Belliswolf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DK
Chips
Be patient and wait in right the decision thats the key...

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The three are intertwined, however, the most important part is the psychological! Always try to improve it, with good psychology, it is easy to put the theory and mathematics of the game into practice.

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
All three.

I'd probably argue that mathematics and game theory are kind of the same thing. You can't have game theory without mathematics. It's what it's based on.

Psychology obviously comes into play. Bluffs, slow playing , big stack bullying everyone in a tournament etc.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mostly luck I believe. Very little skill in the game. If you win it’s because you got the cards, the game plays itself. Like buying a lotto ticket. If you win you have been fortunate. A huge percentage of hands won are with a theoretical weaker hand. This negates the skill element of the game.

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Mostly luck I believe. Very little skill in the game. If you win it’s because you got the cards, the game plays itself. Like buying a lotto ticket. If you win you have been fortunate. A huge percentage of hands won are with a theoretical weaker hand. This negates the skill element of the game.

I disagree with this up to a point. Of course there's a lot of variance, and luck/fortune plays a part but over the long run I feel the skill difference will show.

Not saying you're 100% wrong. Your opinion is as valid as mine.

If I felt the same as you I personally wouldn't play. I don't like games of chance. If I ever end up agreeeing with your point of view then I'll quit! I'd think that I might as well just play roulette, bingo, slot machines if it's all the same. I don't actually like to play those because of the sheer luck factor.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think all 3 are important.
The mathematical and possibilities options are the main ones.
Skill is also very important.
Luck happens in that by having a hand x that you go there and see the cards of your opponent who has more possibilities than you, you can win it with an inferior hand.
Luck is essential, especially to win a tournament.
I recently won a $2 entry tournament in GG poker, in which in 2 very important moments of the MTT I had 2 fairly lucky hands.
One was to enter ITM and I had 8 BB left and in SB I wanted to steal with A5o and I went all in and my opponent had AJs, he beat me preflop but in my favor the 5 came out on the flop and I won the hand.
And being 15 of 23 players in BN I make a reraise with QQ, the BB that beat me in the blinds goes there and the UTG that I had opened also called there. The decision was mine to call or not call, and I thought that the pot was too big not to call and that it could take me to the final table. I called and BB had AA and UTG had AKs and I hit the QQQ set on the turn.
So I reached the final table where after a great monster hand I placed myself in 1st place until last.
With that I want to tell you that the luck factor is also very important, it is not all skill, strategy and other virtues, because otherwise it would become a game like chess.
Greetings:):):)

T

THFC

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
All three are important but I think a bit of luck as well with the cards

Bummy

Bummy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
I would say that it is psychology, the ability to read people, mathematics and calculating %, and luck

Ingryd

Ingryd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Psychology is really the key, but theory and mathematics are essential

freddsl

freddsl

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Add to these 3 a percentage of luck, and I think they would be the 4 legs of poker, without one of them you can even play, I think they are all part of it, some with a lower % than the others.

D

darkgonz

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PE
Chips
In fact poker had this perfect storm of strategy, numbers, and mind games that makes poker such a captivating game for me. Whether I'm playing casually with friends or competing in a high-stakes tournament, there's always something new to learn and explore.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion, psychology is what most differentiates who will stay alive in the deck.

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Poker is a combination of the 3 ; theory, mathematics and psychology + skills and some luck.

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
All three are important I use all of them to make decisions in poker and then I let my gut feeling make the final desicion.

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker is three in one: math, psychology, and probability theory.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
All three. If you say it’s all just luck then you are just misinformed.

Top 10 Games