Poker, Fun or Occupation?

S

seghill

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fun players - just fish.

Like anything you hope to make cash at - it's hard work and a job - if not treated that way you will lose in the long run.

But for entertainment well it can be fun and what does it cost to go to the pictures or a show and how long does that last.

garfield89

garfield89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I went for fun and boredom, but I'm looking to be able to earn, when one merges the fun and profits then it is a real gain

N

nyolcas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't imagine to play only for fun. I always play to win more and more, and after a while I try to use as a good opportunity to have some extra income.

Dany_Style

Dany_Style

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
really fun and interesting to play poker, maybe this is the only game that I can play for hours, but can honestly say I want to win this and money.

fortopyan

fortopyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would like to earn money with poker but still probably lacks skills .while play for fun

jscales

jscales

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fun or Job

I play poker as a second income. This is for two reasons... One, I love my "real job". Two, there isn't as much pressure at the tables when it is not my only income source. That said, I have all of my poker money separate from all other money and it is used exclusively to fund my poker trips. So I am always looking at positive ROI situations to spend that money on.

Bogdan Pyts

Bogdan Pyts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker it'sfun but I want see poker as soon as job

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It started as a hobby for me, just fun with family.

I only got serious 7 years ago.
Now its a part of my life I cant seem to live without.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first you beggining as funn,new interesting game later when you have expiriance you thing to play on a higher level and you take serious game than....

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
8 Children, 19 Grandchildren .. life should not be a gamble

Sorry if I offend some of you but if you have a wife, or children, or dependents or anyone who counts on you for support then I hope you consider having a job that has a guarantee of monetary returns before you choose to gamble with your life and theirs. Poker is definitely more enjoyable if you aren't counting on winning. Exception: you are independently wealthy and have enough control not to lose too much

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its easy... Somebody have playing for money, somebody for fun.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I say both for me. Started out for fun, then was kind of just entertainment. Came back around to it after a few restarts and in past few months it became a challenge, a way to better myself through learning discipline, better decision making, mindfulness, math, mental fortitude, hard work. A bit cliche but thats what happened. Now it's finally become a bit of a "job" in a way. Not looking to make a living but definitely after my biggest cash to date recently I've been working harder on being able to withdraw a few bucks for me and have poker sustain itself while paying me.

I had such a huge shift after talking to a colleague who is a long term online winner and i had a huge moment of clarity. So fun, but also work. And as others said it's become a part of me and my life. Yeah it was I think initially just a way to relax, blow off steam, screw around . But after you start changing things and start winning more than you lose , poker, esp online I think has to be taken seriously if you want it to pay you. I figure I have video games if I want to relax and blow off steam at home. But of course now I want to play poker a lot more than game lol.

Can't put it into words but i love poker. It's taken a long time to get everything in place to actually become a decent player and I want to stay that way.

Z

zefs83

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me poker is a hobby, without a serious investment. But seek that hobby turned into something more. Not always a pleasure work. And want to combine passion and work.... now clearly the level and skill is not enough...

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it starts for fun , and you end up playing for money

F

fabioveigaf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
can be both, first it has to be fun , something you enjoy doing and do well done , doing well done can be rather a profession, after all who would not want to become a millionaire or billionaire through poker , become a Negreanu or Monemayker , just playing

Kavaleits

Kavaleits

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the moment i play poker for fun, because i play low limits or even freerolls!

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I play poker for fun, but the cash money I get on the freerolls I do protected from big losses so I invested in games I can at least break even like Seat and Go fifty where you only need to defeat half the players so 50% of the Table wins. Is not much but we get less variance. The cash money I get from the Freerolls I use bank roll management, so I guess that part is a semi. :rolleyes:

R

rickymass1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
fun at first

When I first started playing poker it was totally for fun. Then i played strictly for money. After my first big tourney win, I thought I could play for a living. I quickly found out that Poker for a living, was a pipe dream.

blef mashine

blef mashine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
now my poker game

now my poker game , but I wish I were successful enough to be able to say that it's my job to get a lot of money from poker:)

ismagul

ismagul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is my job and it's fun when winning

A

alexis8888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mostly I lose so it's fun so far.

B

boxcarjoe1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"I have fun playing poker like its my job" put that in your favorite quote section here lol. it was fun for me when my grandfather was alive and taught me. I don't play it enough in the big tournaments to say its my job though. and I only play in freerolls or buy in if I've cahsed in a freeroll. horse racing is a big passion of mine. so much so I bought some virtual ones with the money I won in a online tournament playing poker. I've made more money in horse racing tournaments. just cashing for say $400 and I'd be happy shoot give me 10-20 bucks I'm cool with that to haha. I finished in 5th the other day which was the bubble :( so I'm still a little upset with myself for that. but today is a new day and all in fun and a good time because life is too short.

lolgato

lolgato

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me poker is a fun game I may later take it up fully but definitely not now: ). It is very enjoyable as of right now and I can take it to it's fullest.

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was fun but I played too much. Definitely not a job for me.