Poker and Chess

Igorek1313

Igorek1313

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
different games!!! in poker, luck is still very important, unlike chess.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chess is a great game with a deep complexity to it, but you can read and see everything on the board and with enough knowledge you can predict what your opponent wants to do or what his possiblities are.. You play the board and react to it Its all you basically do after applied skill and attributes because you dont need anything else. What you see is what you get.

In poker its different, you dont just play the board, you play against characters/personalities, Cards/pieces you cant see, against chips/stacksize, you play against sense and mathematical calculations but also lady luck. You even play against your own mind and because you dont know what the other person has or why hes doing what hes doing.

I agree with you. Chess is a great game and I would like to learn how to play it, but unfortunately I have very little time even to play poker. And I still think chess is more complicated than poker.

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i agree. i'm not a great chess player, but i think the common threads between poker and chess are that in both games there's calculation involved as well as thinking a step or 5 ahead. you can't just focus on the moment you're in now but you have to think about what your opponent(s) is or might do in the next move or next few

BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice comment... I have played a lot of chess... not competitively, mainly because of the rarity of those competitions in canada, and Trinidad...and my family's fixation and pleasurability on competitive card games.
It is also very hard to continually improve you chess skills due to the need to continually player higher skilled players than yourself... and poker players are easy to get.
The main difference in the two games is "group enjoyability", because lets face it, neither is a spectator sport, and with poker/cards, the action is faster, more variable and more radical.
Its harder to bluff an attack on your opponent in chess...and in chess...when you lose, you lose... in poker, you can bluff now, and still play the next hand.

BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
knowledge, analysis, emotions and serenity are basic attributes that can applied to anything to have a better result. knowledge from chess or poker are very different and besides personal attributes applied, they are played very different also.

We could say both use strategies but so do armies and companies.

Whatever game someone played does not matter, what matters is that persons individual skill and ability to learn what is needed to succeed.
These statements are Gems in the "Theory of Gaming".
They apply to Life in General, and everything associated... from rock throwing, to Landing a Craft on a Comet.

Sokolik

Sokolik

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These are two great games. I think they have something in common.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Poker and Chess ... I have no doubt that they are games with many things in common ... Concentration, reading your opponents ... and the strategy to use ... are some of the things they have in common ... !

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
CCGs and Poker go naturally together quite well.

Never really considered chess and poker as very much alike. Despite everything said in this thread, really do not see much then broad generalized commonalities between the two games. In poker variance is a huge part of the game as is the human element. Not present in chess.

mondo3

mondo3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is pretty much a non faction chess and a large factor in poker. Both do require quite a bit of intelligence to play well.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,I´ve played chess sometimes.It is a nice strategy and mental game but I like poker more.Maybe it is because the adrenaline and $$$ I guess.

M

mengarda

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Both games can be classified as sport of the mind. Chess is already a well-established sport of mind, while poker is still a field of contention and there are still many people who see it as a game of chance.

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like both games, and hate them at the same time..

Poker because its unfair sometimes, and chess because i suck.. i have 1700 ELO and its not good enought

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i really like chess, but its not poker, the exitment is only for poker

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is anything common between chess and poker, it is psychology.
Chess is a very wise and difficult game to learn to play which is not easy. Many people think that they see everything but the wisdom of the game is not to see, but to understand what is happening.
For example: the understanding of a particular position in chess by a first-class player and a master is seriously different.
But the psychology of the players of these games have in common.
So in poker one more characteristic of aggressive play another passive wait-and-see. Some play only strictly defined hands others more relaxed style. So in chess, some play in a sharply attacking style (combinational), others in a strictly positional
For example, the brightest players attack Tal, Bronstein, and opposite them positional style Botvinnik, Petrosyan.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, introspection is strong, I'm learning from it. Today I punched rating on Lichess 1700.