Poker and Chess

B

badia232323

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a chess master, I can tell you that there is to many common points between poker and chess, that's way many of chess players became a professional poker players, and they got a big success.
In chess you need too much skills to win a little money, while in poker you need just a few skills to win a big money! but there are some skills that you need in both games:
1. Concentration: in chess you can concentrate easily because it's forbitten to talk or to smoke inside the playing hall. It's also forbitten to bring a phone or any electronic devices... In poker it's not easy to concentrate because all these thinks are allowed.
2. Knowledges: You need to read books and to follow the best players in the word, and try to understand how they are thinking.
3. The analyzing skills: This is the most important skill in both games, you need to analyze everything logically and perfectly.
4. control of nerves : There is always some pressure, you need to have a steel nerves if you want to become a strong player.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree. I would like to add that poker and chess fit in one concept - intellectual games. For players sharpness of mind is a priority over physical strength.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that chess and poker share some of the same characteristics needed for a player to become victorious. However in poker luck plays a key role, even if you play the hand correctly there is a good chance that the cards still may not fall your way as in chess more often than not if you play the game right you will win the game.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
As a chess master, I can tell you that there is to many common points between poker and chess, that's way many of chess players became a professional poker players, and they got a big success.
In chess you need too much skills to win a little money, while in poker you need just a few skills to win a big money! but there are some skills that you need in both games:
1. Concentration: in chess you can concentrate easily because it's forbitten to talk or to smoke inside the playing hall. It's also forbitten to bring a phone or any electronic devices... In poker it's not easy to concentrate because all these thinks are allowed.
2. Knowledges: You need to read books and to follow the best players in the word, and try to understand how they are thinking.
3. The analyzing skills: This is the most important skill in both games, you need to analyze everything logically and perfectly.
4. control of nerves : There is always some pressure, you need to have a steel nerves if you want to become a strong player.

What is your ELO badia and what were some tournaments you have played in against other masters?:cool:

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One key difference is that there is no uncertainty or luck/randomness in chess. You can see exactly what your opponent is doing. Also, every move is certain thing. Compare that to poker. Let's say you have AA on a rainbow flop of K94. There is a strong chance you have the best hand, but if your opponent is showing lots of aggression back at you, you have to consider that they may have hit 2 pair or a set. You have no idea what your opponent is holding. All you can do is put your opponent on a range of hands based on his/her actions and how you have observed him/her playing. Now let's say your opponent actually has a hand like KQ and you decide to call his/her bet for the rest of your chips. Even though your move was the correct one, they could still very easily hit another K or Q on the remaining cards and beat you. There's no doubt that both games are challenging, but the uncertainty and luck part of poker take it to another level.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in poker, a lot depends on luck, and in chess on skill.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in poker, a lot depends on luck, and in chess on skill.

I disagree. In poker making the correct decision based upon mathematical fundamentals will not you success in the long run. Your money in as a massive favorite over and over again - keep doing this - and in the long haul you will be a winning player.

Chess is a little different where it is entirely skill based. An amateur who started playing last week probably cannot defeat a grand master of over 12 years - where in poker an amateur who started last week can beat any top level pro by getting lucky once in a while. This doesn't mean they are better than the pro - their approach to the game will have them losing money over the long haul where as the pro will stay the course and continue to book wins.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Poker and chess are different games that should not be compared. Obviously, for both of these games, the most important components are concentration, knowledge, analysis skills and controlling emotions, but these components are also an important component of each individual's life.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I also used to play chess in the past , but I didn't know advanced moves and I was almost always losing , hope this doesn't mean anything about my poker abilities lul:rolleyes::eek:

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
totally agree with you
discipline the ability to analyze the development of strategy skills, the necessary knowledge and continuous training is the key to success in these types of intellectual games[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji123][emoji123][emoji123]

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer poker over chess ... although chess is a game that I play since I was little ... I think poker has and needs other skills that are developed through the same game

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi.
Poker and chess are different games that should not be compared. Obviously, for both of these games, the most important components are concentration, knowledge, analysis skills and controlling emotions, but these components are also an important component of each individual's life.

That is true, those components are important for any important decision to make

honorwar

honorwar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer poker.Poker gives me more money than chess.I like chess but I love poker.

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, chess dont have a luck percent

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not know how to play chess, but in any case, I think that chess is more complicated than poker.

A

aasdehaas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
knowledge, analysis, emotions and serenity are basic attributes that can applied to anything to have a better result. knowledge from chess or poker are very different and besides personal attributes applied, they are played very different also.

We could say both use strategies but so do armies and companies.

Whatever game someone played does not matter, what matters is that persons individual skill and ability to learn what is needed to succeed.

A

aasdehaas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not know how to play chess, but in any case, I think that chess is more complicated than poker.

Chess is a great game with a deep complexity to it, but you can read and see everything on the board and with enough knowledge you can predict what your opponent wants to do or what his possiblities are.. You play the board and react to it Its all you basically do after applied skill and attributes because you dont need anything else. What you see is what you get.

In poker its different, you dont just play the board, you play against characters/personalities, Cards/pieces you cant see, against chips/stacksize, you play against sense and mathematical calculations but also lady luck. You even play against your own mind and because you dont know what the other person has or why hes doing what hes doing.

Badrohary

Badrohary

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is interesting and it is a fact. The fact that many chess players have become good poker players is understandable. But few poker players who have become good chess players

K

Klim007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I fully agree with you dear friend. Chess and poker, they are very compatible with themselves.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I am an International Master , Elo 2404. I am a champion of Morocco and champion of north Africa

Thank you. Have you played GO?
If you have, what is your opinion regarding Poker, Chess and GO ?

Last edited:
Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I am convinced that chess is a more complex game than poker. Luck is an integral element of poker. Chess is a strategy game and therefore it is inadmissible to count on luck.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Comparisons have always been drawn between chess and poker and for good reason.

At the highest levels there are lots of comparisons, one of the biggest is being aware of your opponent(s), understanding how they play, what they might do on their next move or what betting 1/4 of the pot on the turn and then betting full pot on the river might mean.