Poker has to be one of the most frustrating game ever invented.

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I mean this is totally unreal what I see EVERY day. Nobody could have ever prepared me for that much chaos.

Insane calls being rewarded big time, over and over again! Total donks winning tournaments. You name it this game has got it.

Sometimes, I would so like to say to the donk who calls my allin with junk: "That will teach you donk!". But nooooooooooooo, it is me that is hitting the rail with my premium hand.

Like I said in another post, it is like living in the Twilight Zone. All the laws of physics seems to be suspended while playing poker.

The edges are so thin that variance can put you on a cloud when running good and throw you into the abyss when running bad.

Ok that being said, let's ship a huge tournament now!

Then I buy pink glasses; problem solved.

T

tootbook

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel ya, believe me. i hate investing hours into a game getting it all in good ( not just good but dominating ) just to have a 3 outer pop out and ruin your night. But just try to keep a chin up. stupid things happen it gets frusterating and thats a bad time to play. Take a break smoke a cigarette maybe watch some tv then go back with your head on straight.

losing money will put anyone in a bad mood if it keeps happening

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to be very lucky to win a tourney.. Don't forget when you sit down with the other 1000 runners your odd's of winning are 1000/1. Those are not great odd's. Your AK suited will lose 30% of the time pre flop against 72 off if all 5 cards are dealt out. So variance plays a massive part in tourneys and the only way to really profit and beat the variance is to put in more volume.

JaxA

JaxA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Variance should be used as a curse word! Lol

etherghost

etherghost

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some solid rules to making it very far in a large field tourney are:

1. Play tight aggressive.
2. Try to avoid pre flop all-ins.
3. Be prepared to fold monster hands in certain situations.
4. ALWAYS watch your position.

There are many others, but these are key rules to making it far in a tourney.

H

hrix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO, you never know what is going to happen. Not only in poker, but also in football, tennis, chess, tic-tac-toe etc
You think that you are on one step closer to the win, but your opponent can be nasty and win you when you can't expect that.
That's a life.

H

houtlijm

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
relax dude :) on the long term you definetely will defeat the variance. from my own experience it can last very long and you can go broke few times but when you really hit the strike you'll know what i mean

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That rule is hard to follow, especially when you know you are ahead of his range.

That rule my friend I think is one of the most important, because that I coinflip even if you got AA you have 1/4 chance to lose it , so this is 25% , which is not that small.:rolleyes:

R

rumsey182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try trading stocks, investing, sports betting, blackjack,... all of them share similar variance to poker. The key to anything that can be approached as a game is to try and use decent fundamental game theory and focus on what you actually can control. You cant control if a 1 outer happens, but you can minimize loses on bad days and maximize profit on good days

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your AK suited will lose 30% of the time pre flop against 72 off if all 5 cards are dealt out.
I'm not talking about just the hand, I'm talking about all of the conditions that must be met to lead to that fatal hand.

1) How come the donk has made it this far in the tournament by playing this bad?
2) Even if he is a donk, he still has a range that he will fold, but not this time: why?
3) I could still win the hand, after all I'm ahead most of the time.

There are many other Metagame conditions that have to be met to make it a perfect donk storm. So the probability of such an odd event happening should be quite low.

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The use of the word Donk is not correct in the situation you describe. A donk is somebody who leads out after the flop without being the pre flop aggressor. But hey whatever, in MTT's the variance is the highest and bad plays win all the time. Once you have put enough volume you will see this, but one day your cards will stand up and you will have your day.

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not only in poker,chess but also in football, tennis,

false chess, football and tennis rely on a lot more skill than poker in both the short and long term...you don't get lucky in chess at all, in football maybe you can get lucky but that doesn't mean your rec team can beat fc barcelona like ever in 1000 games or even tie, and in tennis well there is like 0 to little luck actually

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are different degrees of luck in poker, chess, football, tennis et al. In poker, there's enough that a recreational player running very well can win a tournament against the best in the world.

In chess, football, tennis et al, the luck factor isn't enough to overcome that degree of skill advantage. But there is still a luck element that allows players or teams to beat opponents who are better than they are if the skill differential is small enough. .

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not really a good idea, playing with the sharks will probably not be profitable for my bankroll...
It doesn't take a whole lot to at least break even at entry-level stakes. Basically, all you need to do is give back less through your questionable plays than opponents hand you through theirs. If your game isn't good enough to advance beyond freerolling yet, and/or if the prospect of losing a few bucks is enough to deter you from real money play, you have much more important things to focus your attention on than what you wrote about in the initial post.

ImprovedPuppy

ImprovedPuppy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I mean this is totally unreal what I see EVERY day. Nobody could have ever prepared me for that much chaos.

Insane calls being rewarded big time, over and over again! Total donks winning tournaments. You name it this game has got it.

Sometimes, I would so like to say to the donk who calls my allin with junk: "That will teach you donk!". But nooooooooooooo, it is me that is hitting the rail with my premium hand.

Like I said in another post, it is like living in the Twilight Zone. All the laws of physics seems to be suspended while playing poker.

The edges are so thin that variance can put you on a cloud when running good and throw you into the abyss when running bad.

Ok that being said, let's ship a huge tournament now!

Then I buy pink glasses; problem solved.

My freind, just enjoy playing poker if every time you play AA you win our Aks you win what is the fun of that!? the thing of poker 1 thing you have to lurn is FOLD, in doubt you Fold, when you know how to do that, you start raising and reraising cause you know whem you reraise and have to fold next, the problem is whem you dont know how to fold AA KK QQ JJ TT AKs AQs AJs and the other problem is whem you have few blids left and you have to go All in MP with any pair our any decent suited conector ou A6+ and you fold.
Stop cry improve your game put some exemples here for we help you.;)

trolaAa

trolaAa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you sit down at the table to play with real money earned with hard work and sweat for them to invest in poker you will not meet those idiots who pay any cards :)

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker can be very frustating if you are on a downswing, however when you are running good and making good plays it can be very rewarding. You have to understand that unlike games like chess or go, luck is an important factor and to evaluate how good you are, you need to play lots of tourneys,stt or cash games,
if you are a long term player in the long run you will end up winning money.
Its the luck and skill factor in addition to how easy is to learn the game what makes poker such an exciting and popular game.

N

Nickwastaken

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe the writer of this post has confused poker with golf :)

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The use of the word Donk is not correct in the situation you describe. A donk is somebody who leads out after the flop without being the pre flop aggressor.
You are referring to the Verb "donk" while I'm referring to the Noun "donk"

Taken from PokerTerms.com

Donk

word type: noun
1.An unskilled player, often one who plays extremely loosely, yet passively.
2.Donkey; fish.
3.To call a raise and then lead out with a bet on the following street. (verb)

Popular Uses

Generally a "Donk" is someone who doesn't have a lot of experience, but thinks they're "King Shit of Terd Island". -Blogger "BTD"

I was cruising as one of the chip leaders until I donked off all my chips and missed the money. -Unknown

You Should Also Know...

While "donk" or "donk bet" technically refer to a specific type of bet, they are more commonly used to refer to any sort of terrible bet. A donk bet can actually be a good move, depending on the situation. Some donk bets are premeditated stop-and-go bets.

Top 10 Games