Can poker be considered a sport?

Jimmyg121

Jimmyg121

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Poker is 100% a sport... being fit 100% gives you an edge for the mental side and the physical side of long sessions and keeping your co concentration.

markdias

markdias

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think yes, poker is certainly a mental game, but also depending on the time you spend playing it becomes physically tiring, spending hours and hours at a table or sitting in your chair in front of the computer is also tiring...

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I would consider it a game at most, definitely not a "sport" though. By definition I'm pretty sure a sport is supposed to involve physical exertion, People who play poker are players not athletes.

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Personally, I don't think it is a sport, but that doesn't stop me from loving it.

R.Melnyk77

R.Melnyk77

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Can poker be considered a sport? Like chess, for example...
In my opinion, poker is a game of chance and poker has nothing to do with sports. I am surprised by people who sincerely believe that poker is a sport and they themselves are athletes :)

R

Rmi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Yes it is, because beyond betting and winning money, it is still a game.

D

Doctrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There was an effort to get Match Poker into the Olympics! In Match Poker, players play the same hand as an opponent at another table and then points are given according to who played the hand the best. I think that would be pretty cool to see in the Olympics, but I guess they lost their bid. There's an App trying to increase the popularity of Match Poker.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I'm sure that poker can be considered a sport. The main criterion by which I classify poker as a sport is that here players play against each other, just like in any other sport. The chances of success here are greater for those who have more experience, who better understand the psychology of people and who are better able to control their emotions. In poker, discipline, willpower, attentiveness and other personal qualities are very important. Poker is a noble game for real gentlemen, and that’s why I love poker.

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, poker is a mental sport like chess. Hopefully one day it will be considered a sport, one day it could even be an Olympic game.

elchonga

elchonga

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think it should be considered a sport.
It takes a lot of skill apart from luck.
like any sport

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
In recent years, there has been a shift in perception, with some people arguing that poker, especially in its competitive form, can be considered a mental sport or a game of skill. Poker tournaments require strategy, mathematical skills, psychological skills and quick decision making, aspects they share with chess.

In some places, poker has been officially recognized as a game of skill, which has influenced its legal status.

G

godollar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
PH
Chips
No, baseball professional wont make u go broke even if u suck

sidd4rt4

sidd4rt4

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
for sure if you have to play consider hour of game

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes, just like chess, checkers, and Pokémon-style card games...

W

Wega85

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
poker probably not a sport but poke-her is certainly is ;)