Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello,
Can Poker, boht version live and online be considered a sport? if yes why
Can chess be considered a sport? Poker is essentially very similar to chess, where almost everything is decided by skill, and those who constantly train and learn win. Also, poker has an element of competition and competition as in most sports, players can play in many tournaments and win first places for which they get medals, cups and solid money, just like in professional sports. I would only classify poker as a mental sport.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
In some definitions, sports have to involve physical activity, and in some not - so it becomes a question of semantics. It's a game with skill components and a mind-sport.

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
In chess (also math cmpetitions or e-sports) you need only skills, no luck, while in pokers, beside all skills, the factor luck is playing a roll. So in my oponion poker should not be considered as a sport.

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Like the commentators above, the analogy with chess is the first one that comes to mind. So I think yes, poker could be a sport if the community has the right desire to make it one.

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Think like this: should other card games be considered sports? Like Magic, Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, etc? I don't think so.
Poker clearly has a strong mental aspect, but in my opinion sports require both mental and physical activity, specially phisical.
Poker is a game, like chess, backgammon, checkers, and other card games.

chicbulls2

chicbulls2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Don't think it can, it is a game of skill, nerves and patience, on top of that also a bit of luck

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hello,
I have probably seen stranger games in the Olympics, It seems every time they hold an event something new has been introduced by the host Country.
Poker is not what I would call a physically exhausting game, Mentally yes very exhausting! But there are some events in the Olympics that are not dependant on Physical prowess, Only Skill based like Archery, or Clay Pigeon shooting. So why not Poker?
If Snooker is considered a Sport, where most of the time the competitors sit around waiting to come to the table, Poker is similar, only you sit at a table to compete, and of course usually at some big Tournaments they also have Teams from different Countries competing in Poker Tournaments.

ShaDoWGuarD

ShaDoWGuarD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker is a sport I often hear in TV commercials, but I don't think so. First of all, this is a game of chance, where knowledge alone is not enough to win, a lot depends on luck, especially in tournament poker. This is where you risk losing your money, so what kind of sport is this then? When you want to sit down at a poker table, whether online or live, you must understand and not be under the illusion that you are engaged in intellectual sports. Because you can lose everything you bet here at any time!

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello,
Of course! Poker is about tactics. Every sport has tactical plans by which the players play the game. Also in poker, each player follows his own tactics for the game. I would compare poker to chess. Both involve the brain. I look forward to poker being officially added to the Olympic Games. :cool::ninja:

G

gilbertot007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It falls into sports of the mind similar to chess that will be it.

fryderyk

fryderyk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Any form of competition can be called a sport. The difference is only in the type and name, there are sports that require physical and intellectual fitness, so the answer is simple, yes.

888NOX888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that live poker can probably be attributed to sports, despite the fact that it is a gambling game. A large number of people play poker, tournaments are held, various competitions are held. During a sports competition, you can replace money with chips, and give out medals for winning.

E

Easylu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Of course, it can be considered a sport of intelligence, skill and different abilities that you can develop and apply when playing poker. It's like you're playing chess, which is also considered a sport.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello,
In my opinion, poker is first and foremost a game of chance. Of course, as in sports, in poker a lot depends on our patience, discipline and skill, but still, poker is a game of chance where luck is essentially the most important factor.

ScoobyNL

ScoobyNL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NL
Chips
In Spain it is a sport because from 8 augustus you will have to pay 19% tax on winning in tournaments !!!

In Spain you are a pro sportsmen....

lala123

lala123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is a competition so yes it can be called a sport. I think it's similar to darts and chess

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Yes I suppose like ESports be considered like sport.

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion, yes, because it meets all the requirements to be a sport!

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Of course it can, the world in general & poker in particular is full of delusional folks.

Y

Youvraj365

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MU
Chips
Hello,
No for me.
It will always be considered as a gambling game for me.
I consider this as a game with or without money.

Pityesz1974

Pityesz1974

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Nem tekinthető sportnak, mert akkor minden logikai kártyajáték sportnak számítana.Ez egy szerencsejáték.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
poker can't be considered a sport because poker has a luck factor so they hope for luck here. That's why poker can't be called a sport it's just a game that brings fun and money so just play and have fun and most importantly remember that it's a game