Can poker be a stable source of income or career?

absolutista2021

absolutista2021

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
I think was yes, in the long time.. is more security what standard works...
Sorry for my level of english, I am from Argentine, with the time and with more practise, i can speak with more propierty, gramathicly speaking.. or in order of gramatic, i think last option is more right.. hehe, successes and gl in the tables!

GarotoMaroto

GarotoMaroto

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The strongest i dont know,but if you win a lot of money regullarly then its a great one XD

C

Cooking

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends of how much you win in your regular job, but I think poker is a good option to increase your investment. Like if I had invested all the money I've won since I started playing (17 years ago), it wouldn't be a big amount of money, but it definitely would help to retire earlier of my regular job. But unfortunately I didn't invested, because when I was 18-20s I didn't really thought about things like that.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Swede Tooth
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think was yes, in the long time.. is more security what standard works...
Sorry for my level of ability with the English language... I am from Argentine. I believe with some time and practice I will be speaking properly (grammatically speaking) *I think last option is better.
FYP for you

And as far as your question goes...
I think poker is NOT a stable source of income.

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
the game of poker is tricky, for example if I pay $100 to enter a tournament, you can never be sure that you will make it to the finals

nakiesQUensyyy

nakiesQUensyyy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Yes, the stability of your actions and work on mistakes, as well as the distance is the most important thing in poker

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Online is it very hard to earn more than a regular job (unless you live in a 3rd world/developing country).

Live is easier but depends on your ability to travel to juicy games.

And a "normal" job has very little variance so it is almost always more stable and secure than poker.

Achrarock

Achrarock

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
MA
Chips
The stability of a career depends on various factors, including individual skills, market demand, and economic conditions. While poker can provide financial stability for some skilled players, it also involves risk and uncertainty. Traditional careers with steady income may be more reliable for overall stability.

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
@absolutista2021 . I changed the title of this thread so that it is more understandable and will hopefully get better responses. If I have misunderstood what you meant, please let me know!

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Very difficult for it be stable from just playing. Daniel Negreanu lost over $2m last year.

Luckily for him he'd won enough in the past and has lots of other things going on to get by just fine I'm sure. Would assume he's staked for a start so it wouldn't all have come directly from his pocket, plus there's endorsements such as his tie-in with GG Poker, book deals, coaching courses etc. I saw him on a non-poker podcast recently where I would assume he got paid a fee for appearing. Lots of things to cushion the blow.

Last edited:
A

alonsorizo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CR
Chips
I know that it is very difficult to make a living from poker but not impossible, I am inspired by professional players, I hope and am working to achieve it soon.

jose_saleh

jose_saleh

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Of course it can, but it depends on your life style, for example, if you dont spent to much money, you could have poker as your main income source by having moderate success.

Ingryd

Ingryd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You have to have a very strong psychology, and also good financial management

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker can be a stable source of money, but my opinion is that you have to be dedicated only to poker to be like that.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Examples are.. So all you need îs for you to try, but Dont quit your job just yet, wait to be stabile a coupe of years and the if you do that good... Good luck on passing Daniel Negreanu 😁.. All the best!!!

W

Wega85

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
you only see the successful poker players online. there are also a lot of people who did not make it too. not saying its not possible but not easy to do it too.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that having poker as a stable source of income is impossible because of the variance of this sport.
But having a successful career with considerable gains in the long term is entirely possible.

Rosylly

Rosylly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Source of income? Absolutely, especially in developing countries where you don't need thousands of dollars per month.

Stable? Definetely not. Poker is probably most unstable source of income one can imagine.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi I think is possible but you need to compromise with this goal, and improving your skills everyday, managing your bankroll and your life be in balance, learn a lot, practice, selfcontrol when you face a lot of badbeats.
Good luck.

broncho

broncho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
EC
Chips
Absolutely, I firmly believe that poker can be a stable source of income and a viable career. It's not just about luck; it's a game of skill, strategy, and psychology. Many professional players have demonstrated that with dedication, discipline, and continuous improvement, poker can provide a consistent source of income.
However, it's essential to approach it with a professional mindset. Proper bankroll management, continuous learning, and adaptability to the ever-changing dynamics of the game are crucial. Treating poker as a serious profession involves understanding the risks and being prepared for the inevitable ups and downs.
It's not for the faint-hearted, but for those who are passionate, committed, and willing to put in the work, poker can certainly be a fulfilling and stable career choice. The key is finding the right balance between the love for the game and the strategic approach needed to succeed in the long run.

Bummy

Bummy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
I think so, because when you study all the time and get a lot of experience, when the game becomes your passion and you play not for recreation - then of course yes. but its hard

focus13

focus13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
I just want to try it. I started on January 1, I will tell you about the result in December😏