D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think most smart players get beyond the point of dissecting this too much -there really is no point. Any decent player will know what they should be doing at the table - and by this I mean decent players must number a few hundred thousand around the world, possibly a lot more.

But, you could have Phil Galfond's skill set, and if you run bad you will lose a session or a tourney -there is only so much creative play/bluffing any individual could get away with.

So, for a player to prosper in a session he or she needs goods hands to play. That is luck. The player then needs to capitalize on such luck and maximize profit. Luck and skill are inseparable in poker. People often attempt to state poker is all skill- that of course is so much nonsense. However, it obviously does take skill to navigate around all the pitfalls.

People can say its skill vs luck 50/50, 60/40, 70/30...but I simply do not really bother with such breakdowns anymore. Just watch a tournament through to conclusion and invariably the winner, a world class player, will note first and foremost that they ran well...

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Poker is a game of skillful, disciplined players. Luck, of course, has an impact on results, but in general, our luck also has an impact on everything else in our lives.
Good luck.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have had a problem for some time because I believe less and less that poker is a game of skill. Once, when I won a tournament, I told myself that I was good and my morals rose, but when I lost, it was the opposite. Now, even when I win, I tell myself that I didn't play well at all, just "I got aces at the right moment" or something. Did you have a problem with this? If so, how do you handle it? I have a friend who was a very good player but gave up the game because he stopped believing that skills are the most important.

Yes you needed to get aces at the "right time". But more importantly is how you played them. You needed to bet size successfully and also to know your opponents' behavior.

Yes even you can get lucky in a couple of hands in a tournament but then you NEED to "work your luck" ! You can't stay pat in a tournament...the blinds keep increasing.

Then you need to have some understanding of how to play at different stages of a tournament. Anybody can luckbox their way to a final table once. But do it consistently?

Good luck buddy !

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I couldn't agree with you more. Poker, as with anything in life that requires skill and ability to succeed, always attracts people blaming losses on luck, conspiracy, other external factors ... the strong hold steady and hopefully reach the dream. Like anything else worth doing, it won't come easy, but the feeling of achievement is incredible, and it's unmistakable once you've reached it.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
The ability to play poker well is 50% success. The rest depends on good luck. There are many disappointments, but the hope to shoot and take a big jackpot at one moment will help to forget about all the failures.:pcguru:😎

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Previously, the strategy in poker was a little different and relied more on a good card. Now the players began to use the small card in the game. The strategy has changed a bit. Therefore, now in the game luck matters more.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think that poker - a game in which you need a bankroll management skills, but mainly a practical joker luck.

B

BrazilBrazil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is fascinating because it involves so many things, luck, aptitude, strategy, observation and caution, it is not enough for you to know the moves if you do not know how to take advantage of them ...

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easy to fall into that trap playing online,I judge my playing by my live results,I use online for pure pleasure

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Skill "should" win out over the long run, but in any given hand, luck determines everything at micro stakes. At high stakes you can outplay ppl, not in micros.

T

torito22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me yes, but luck also influences because if not the same players would always win.

xxxSSSxxx

xxxSSSxxx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at the end of the year if you are positive with the bankroll you are a good player if u are not, then you are a bad player.

bmess92

bmess92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill will definitely reward you in the long term. And bad luck is also rewarding, if you analyse what you did wrong. There are certain times when you're purely unlucky, but most of the times you could've done things better. Analyse, analyse, analyse, and don't repeat the mistakes. I personally play the opponents, not the cards. I've won tournaments being dealt predominantly bad cards, because I mostly outplayed the opponents.

B

BrunoIngrassia

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think like the whole game the luck factor exists but if you are allied to the knowledge factor you can win without relying on the cards sometimes

hutzpaf

hutzpaf

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can be lucky for 1 month but after that the importance of the skill/study becomes more and more apparent - Cash Games -

W

wwwasilewski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Skills are especially important bluffs

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck has a lot to do with it yes. I believe the break down would be 40% luck and 60% skill on the whole. Different days yield different results. If you can play table and get to read the people you are playing with skill will beat luck. You may loose more posts than you win, but the key is to maximize the post you do win thereby coming out ahead money wise.

G

ggteam2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone is facing this thing and you have to be strong to overcome that or leave poker. No other options.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it is all relative. Poker is a game that requires skill, experience and of course the player's luck. These three factors are decisive for any player.

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whatever degree of skill exists in poker is far outweighed by sheer lunacy.

J

jrsilvamg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No poker ao vivo, é importante conhecer seu oponente, ter um jogo agressivo a ser importante contra oponentes e pouca sorte para que tudo corra como planejado

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you play a tournament more than 10k players, I think luck is needed to reach the final table, but when few players are more skilled player will have more chances.

Erik moraes

Erik moraes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the most important skill in poker is knowing how to handle luck when it comes or when it is missing

weezy1312

weezy1312

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
Luck is a huge part of the equation i might even say it is the most important :p then after comes the skill , the skill is how to extract the most value from those lucky moments and how to minimise your loss when geting unlucky. skills makes you run deeper when your lucky but without luck skill alone wont work , you might pull few bluffs and snatch some blinds to last a lil longer but at the end if your card dead there is not much you can do as if you lucky and not skilled you can still run deep ) i once had dc problems and connected every 15 minutes to play 2 hands and won 80$ that was pure luck everytime internet was back i had a monster i just shoved... thats why i think luck is the bigger part of the equation but it tends to be the other way in peoples mind , i guess they like the idea that they have some kind of control over the outcome and try to take the gambling part out of poker !!! as long as it is not a 100% sure bets it is gambling and again luck is heavily involved in poker even tho most people refuses to see it that way.

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Skill in poker is sure profit.

Good morning everyone.
Poker is undoubtedly a game of skill, luck plays a very important role, however skillful a player is and he needs to be lucky to win when he is in all-in situations, which is very common in an Mtt.
Proof that poker is a game of skill is the player who uses the nickname of girafganger7, I did a search on sharkscope, and this player has a capacity of 99, being 100 is top, excellent players who fild the high limes has an average capacity of 86.
The profit of this player and millions of dollars, poker is a game of skill.
What made me curious, is why this player's capability is far above average what does he do that other professional players don't?

Top 10 Games