Poker as a career

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many believe that they can dedicate themselves totally to poker, I prefer to play as a sport, but in the future I intend to devote more to this wonderful game

Slider23

Slider23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The average poker pro makes 30k a year. All poker pros at some time in their career go broke. One reason the good ones go broke is they are trying to increase earnings by moving up to the next level. Each higher level is a learning process and it takes its toll on the BR.

Put your college degree to work by getting a day job.

While working your day job build your poker BR to 25K, and save enough money to live on for 6 months. Now your ready to give playing poker for a living a shot. There is a lot of stress on your game if earnings at the table are necessary to pay the bills.

R

RUMACASTILLO

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
apparently only you lack responsibility with your bankroll, and that although it is psychological if you want to live poker you can make it easy to overcome it

walluyo

walluyo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you can earn 25k a year from work i would priority the job, then playing poker only in spare time.

N

Napkins420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More than anything else you must be very tough mentally.

I have spent many nights looking in the mirror asking myself wtf is wrong with me for wanting to play this game...

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What about an extra year of poker as a training with the focus on getting more and more professional?Get a job with the option to reduce it to a half-time job or a half-time job right away if that covers your spenses.
Work on your "sensing" skill by having your tracker database up-to-date and giving you correct numbers.
When it comes out next Xmas that you are a winning player over the "long run", you can still ask your question again, you are sooooo young.

Good luck in whatever your decision might be.

N

Napkins420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What about an extra year of poker as a training with the focus on getting more and more professional?Get a job with the option to reduce it to a half-time job or a half-time job right away if that covers your spenses.
Work on your "sensing" skill by having your tracker database up-to-date and giving you correct numbers.
When it comes out next Xmas that you are a winning player over the "long run", you can still ask your question again, you are sooooo young.

Good luck in whatever your decision might be.
Solid advise

If I was OP I would have a part time job and play poker part time

Playing poker for a living is not easy at all

F

fezjones

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like you are just running good. Think about going pro again after a 100 buy in down swing playing sng. I'm not hating, it's just that these very good results over a short period is a standard heater.

G

Galka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My goal is to become the best ladies in poker. And so I will strive to ensure that poker became my main job.

ebellari

ebellari

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i know its crazy to tell someone to focus on poker and not they career, if you are doing well why not? but sooner or later you have to do something in your life without poker, i mean if you really win big why not start your own project aside and keep playing poker??
anyway good luck with anything you choose

vitalii029

vitalii029

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that poker has become as a career you need to have very strong skills and professionalism in poker, and, of course, to have tremendous patience and luck then you can consider poker as a career

TravelerLloyd

TravelerLloyd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice to have poker skills. I guess I am one of the fish.

I would do both, work with you associate's and play poker like you do.

I would like some opinions on my decision. I am 22 years old and recently graduated with an associates in science from a community college. I have been playing poker since 17 and consistently since 18. I have played millions of hands and thousands of hours. The past few months I decided to take a big step and actually play proper bankroll management. I started with $700 and played avg stake of $15 dollar turbos as <30bb stacks are my specialty. I can easily sense my skill over these opponents and results show I was able to consistently profit around $100 a day I turned the $700 into $3k but finals came up and I had to take a break I also took $600 and took a shot at live 1-3 which I felt I had a huge edge in the game most tables were 2-3 regs with the rest being older people or just fish I like to go on the weekends ended up losing but got it in good. I know I can make 25k a year with my associates but I have a strong feeling that my poker game can make me more. As long as I follow proper br management.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You are probably better off using your degree.

T

tayday79

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like some opinions on my decision. I am 22 years old and recently graduated with an associates in science from a community college. I have been playing poker since 17 and consistently since 18. I have played millions of hands and thousands of hours. The past few months I decided to take a big step and actually play proper bankroll management. I started with $700 and played avg stake of $15 dollar turbos as <30bb stacks are my specialty. I can easily sense my skill over these opponents and results show I was able to consistently profit around $100 a day I turned the $700 into $3k but finals came up and I had to take a break I also took $600 and took a shot at live 1-3 which I felt I had a huge edge in the game most tables were 2-3 regs with the rest being older people or just fish I like to go on the weekends ended up losing but got it in good. I know I can make 25k a year with my associates but I have a strong feeling that my poker game can make me more. As long as I follow proper br management.
i think you should try it. if you fail at least you have a degree to fall back on

J

jofieloviedo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go for it

I like the idea to follow your dreams and what you really want to do. I feel like I understand you because I am 19 years old and I also study and play poker with the idea to become a pro and live from my poker game. I study hard to be one of the best poker players and try to improve everyday and make my best.

keep playing and follow your dreams just study hard, do your best and earn much money from poker.

X

xxgsaint5501xx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

As someone who did what you are thinking of doing, my advice is don't, at least not until you have built up a proper sized bankroll playing part time. Use your degree and get a job, play poker on the side approximately 18-20 hours per week. If variance cooperates, and you truly are a winning player you will be able to build a sufficient bankroll in 12-18 months. From my own experience, if you are planning on playing 1-3 live, you will need a professional poker only bankroll of about 20k, This all under the assumption that you are a winning player for the stakes you will be playing. Good luck, but really give my advice some thought. You will always need more than you think you will, and yes, you can run that bad in the short run.