pocket aa's before the flop

TopJimmy99

TopJimmy99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have once or twice I'm sure when the tourney was right at the bubble and I just wanted to make sure I made my buy-in back. I might fold in the beginning of a tourney if there were like 5 all-ins ahead of me.

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have once or twice I'm sure when the tourney was right at the bubble and I just wanted to make sure I made my buy-in back. I might fold in the beginning of a tourney if there were like 5 all-ins ahead of me.

Silly stuff.

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha what folding aces on the bubble shortstacked or when a table goes all in first hand?

Folding aces on the bubble and when a table goes all-in first hand.

I insta shove on both occasions.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The look on mercier's face was priceless. That's a bad fold i don't care what laak hit. Also certain times in satellites where you fold AA in fear of being busted before a short stack.

Actually it might not be such a 'bad fold' if you're familiar with the show. The "loose cannon" is shooting for a top prize vs. the other 'loose cannons' who are also competing (whoever has won most profit wins a pkg -> NAPT passport) At this point he was at 240k which was far ahead of his opponents so 'going for it' at this point might not have been worth it (in the big picture).

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The look on mercier's face was priceless. That's a bad fold i don't care what laak hit. Also certain times in satellites where you fold AA in fear of being busted before a short stack.

Think about it. You just won $140,000 - More money than if you went on Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune. He is not a professional poker player, his life bankroll, never mind poker bankroll is less than what he has in front of him.

I give this guy mad props for putting his family's future ahead of his ego or greed. The fact he would have gotten crushed is irrelevelent.

E

engman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On Thursday, in a double or nothing sng, a guy folded aces when a guy w/ only 300 chips left was in 4th and I as a big stack had shoved before and the guy folded cause he didn't want to risk getting koed on the bubble.

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol...my friend does that...she says that she knows she's gonna lose :/...i think she's crazy :/ :D

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
lol...my friend does that...she says that she knows she's gonna lose :/...i think she's crazy :/ :D

Does your friend read palms, crystal balls, and talk to the dead, too? :)

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The guy who folded AA also folded KK pre, and he would have had an amazingly profitable situation postflop had he played it: AQ out on Q-high flop.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To point out something else about Big Game - it's pot limit preflop, so he couldn't just shove.

And lol at ever folding AA first hand with however many all ins before you. In the long run getting AA in, even with only 40% equity, is ++++++EV

Y

yotalover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've folded AA pre-flop. But that was with guaranteed place in sat. Other than that, not sure I could do it under normal tournament circumstances. Go for the win with AA at that point IMO.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The guy who folded AA also folded KK pre, and he would have had an amazingly profitable situation postflop had he played it: AQ out on Q-high flop.

If he's folding AA and KK pre... then I'm interested to know; what does he play?

Only suited connectors?

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's explained on the other page why he folded ;)

N

noname65

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure... when you have pocket aces, the equity in the hand drops %10 every time there is another player in the hand...so if there are 5 other players in the hand, your equity is below %50, since it is about a 85/15 favorite playing heads up.

It's just easy to imagine in this situation that if somebody else has pocket pairs , at some point they are going to hit a set, or suited connecters will get 2 pair, flushes, straights,etc.

250 play chip 90 men sng's are about the dumbest online tournaments you can possibly imagine. If u fold ur 1st 3 hands, about a 1/3 of the other players will have already been eliminated. I've actually been able to fold all the way to the final table.

Thank you for helping me find a hole in my PP game.

Before I read your post, I was never sure whether to shove or just call with playable PP. Now I realize it's a matter of position, because good position lets me know potentially how many callers to a shove there will be. So the wisdom seems to be either call or fold from early/middle and shove in late position provided that enough other players before me have folded down.

I'll let you know whether my results improve given this new wisdom you've given me. :)

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure... when you have pocket aces, the equity in the hand drops %10 every time there is another player in the hand...so if there are 5 other players in the hand, your equity is below %50, since it is about a 85/15 favorite playing heads up.

It's just easy to imagine in this situation that if somebody else has pocket pairs , at some point they are going to hit a set, or suited connecters will get 2 pair, flushes, straights,etc.

250 play chip 90 men sng's are about the dumbest online tournaments you can possibly imagine. If u fold ur 1st 3 hands, about a 1/3 of the other players will have already been eliminated. I've actually been able to fold all the way to the final table.

LMAO post of the year right there...

So taking 40% equity for the chance of 5x-ing your stack is bad??

pricecube

pricecube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember reading somewhere about how it's okay to fold AA in certain situations in satellites. Of course, I thought it was a load of rubbish. But then I found myself well placed in a satellite, was dealt AA and the large stack shoved. Even though I felt ill folding, it proved to be the right decision as I qualified for the bigger tourney.

The rest of the time, I can't see why you'd fold AA pre-flop.

blackmax

blackmax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes i have folded AA preflop under these same circumstances....a few times as a matter of fact....sattys where im pretty much guarenteed to make the cut even if i dont play another hand...i figure why would i even take a chance of being beat for a pot that could leave me in danger of making nothing
under the same set of circumstances regarding the position of a cash tourny i myself have folded AA preflop more than once.However i must point out that i was short stacked with about 5k with the big blind being about 1600.I do belive there were only 27 places paid and i was on the bubble with about 29 players left.I also must point out that at that table i was in late position so i assumed i might be in a good spot to let someone else get blinded out.Anyway it worked for me under those circumstances but i really couldn't see folding AA in any other preflop situation.

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thank you for helping me find a hole in my PP game.

Before I read your post, I was never sure whether to shove or just call with playable PP. Now I realize it's a matter of position, because good position lets me know potentially how many callers to a shove there will be. So the wisdom seems to be either call or fold from early/middle and shove in late position provided that enough other players before me have folded down.

I'll let you know whether my results improve given this new wisdom you've given me. :)

You might want to read some other's responses to his 'words of wisdom' because quite frankly they are REAL BAD (as far as considering folding AA goes no matter how many are allin ahead of you).

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
under the same set of circumstances regarding the position of a cash tourny i myself have folded AA preflop more than once.However i must point out that i was short stacked with about 5k with the big blind being about 1600.I do belive there were only 27 places paid and i was on the bubble with about 29 players left.I also must point out that at that table i was in late position so i assumed i might be in a good spot to let someone else get blinded out.Anyway it worked for me under those circumstances but i really couldn't see folding AA in any other preflop situation.

This is not a reason to fold AA.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I remember reading somewhere about how it's okay to fold AA in certain situations in satellites. Of course, I thought it was a load of rubbish. But then I found myself well placed in a satellite, was dealt AA and the large stack shoved. Even though I felt ill folding, it proved to be the right decision as I qualified for the bigger tourney.

The rest of the time, I can't see why you'd fold AA pre-flop.

Alright.. I can see folding AA preflop here in this situation.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well... It might not be what the OP had in mind, but its certainly easy to see folding A-A pre in DoN SNGs. Easy to come up with several scenarios. You're bigstack and a couple of shorties left near the bubble. No reason to play any hands at all. Let the two shorties battle it out for the final ITM spot. Then again, DoNs are almost not poker.... But, I digress.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did it once... Just to see how it feels

dosequis_interesting.jpg

... just kidding

Last edited:
B

-----bryce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes i have 4 way all in preflop just didnt want to gamble against 4 other guys n ended up that i wouldve lost by 3 out of the 4 hahaha good fold