Please help me create a nice home game set-up

KingwithAxe1

KingwithAxe1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The other thing I forgot is beacuse the blinds are 30 mins for the first 2 rounds, I don't start so low like in hillbilly chart. I start at level 3 and then 4 which was 50/100 and then go to 100/200. You have the chips and with 5 players there will be some hands that build big pots. even with this you will have guys knocked out in the first hour when starting with 5 dudes.

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WVH has it down if a SnG is what you wanna play.

Im gonna go ahead and say if you guys talk a lot and its very casual a cash game is best. My home games are the same way. These days everyone prefers the cash games even though we started out with SnGs. SnGs are nice for a change every once in a while though. Good luck.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WVH has it down if a SnG is what you wanna play.

Im gonna go ahead and say if you guys talk a lot and its very casual a cash game is best. My home games are the same way. These days everyone prefers the cash games even though we started out with SnGs. SnGs are nice for a change every once in a while though. Good luck.
Yeah, I agree. Our group started with tourneys but all we play any more is cash. If OP does play cash though he needs to just make it at 10nl game with players getting chips actually equal to $10. This crazy stuff of each chip being worth double it's cash value and then playing a 50nl game is ridiculous.

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I agree. Our group started with tourneys but all we play any more is cash. If OP does play cash though he needs to just make it at 10nl game with players getting chips actually equal to $10. This crazy stuff of each chip being worth double it's cash value and then playing a 50nl game is ridiculous.

I couldn't agree more. After this week of the tourney, I will explain it to my friends.

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm heading out for the sit n go in less than an hour!!!!

so pumped!:D

any last second tips on how to win it all.

I plan to play very conservative early on, and then open up in the middle and late stages.

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been following this thread and have had nothing to add until now--good luck and let us all know how it goes! :)

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been following this thread and have had nothing to add until now--good luck and let us all know how it goes! :)

Thank You:D

I will definitely let you guys know how it went!

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely Fantastic...I just got back.

Lemme first start out by saying that I lost both of the $5 tourneys we did...but that doesn't matter.

The final, heads-up battle was sweet (two unlikely players to be there made it lol)

We had both of them sit at the ends of the table, and put the actual cash on the table like in the wsop!

6 people showed up, so the winner got $25, and 2nd got $5 (their money back) this is how the overall profit/losses went:

2 people lost $5 (made it to final 2 one time and lost)
2 people lost $10 (one was me, I will explain my problem below)
2 people won $15 (won one tourney, and did not make it to final 2 in the other)

This is a nice variety I think, because it seems pretty balanced.

The overall tourney lasted for the perfect amount of time.

We started at about 7:40 and ended at about 11:30.

We took a little break in between to give people their chips back again, which is why it took a little extra time.

The first tourney, I made it to the final 3, but the blinds ate me up and I was forced to go all in with :10c4::5c4: :(.

The second tourney really hurt though. I am sure you guys can pick apart my mistakes, (and please do so, so I can learn from them)

I limped in with A4 off suit.

Flop came A-4- and some low card that I forget.

I bet, he re-raised (heads up at this point)

I re-raised again, he called.

The turn was a K. I bet, he called.

River was another blank.

He goes all-in, and I call with two pair A and 4.

He shows AK, two pair.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I should have folded, but it was so hard to lay it down.

Please feel free to rip my decision, because I want to become a better player( who doesn't lol:D)

In conclusion, I had a blast...so much better than the usual.

I want to especially thank WVHILLBILLY for posting the chart with the blinds and all the other info.

Thanks to all who contributed!!!:D

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Glad the tourney worked out and glad to hear I still got the knack for getting the estimated length down. :)

As for the hand you posted limping was a bad play. As was calling AK's raise after you limped (I'll just assume he raised). After the flop it's standard.

Glad to hear you guys had a good time. Did the rest of the crew like the tourney as well?

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Glad the tourney worked out and glad to hear I still got the knack for getting the estimated length down. :)

As for the hand you posted limping was a bad play. As was calling AK's raise after you limped (I'll just assume he raised). After the flop it's standard.

Glad to hear you guys had a good time. Did the rest of the crew like the tourney as well?

The timing was perfect, I brought the sheet with the blinds, and lengths you posted, and everyone just followed that.

Yea, everyone enjoyed the tourney, it made it so much more interesting and fun.

Even after me, and another friend got knocked out early in the 2nd tourney, we threw the football outside for a little bit, and then came back in and dealt for everybody. Also, the 2 deck system worked very well, as did rounding up when exchanging the chips.

As for my A4 hand, I think it was the only hand I limped in on all night. I should have known that even if I hit an Ace on the flop, I would be out-kicked. My problem was that once I flopped a two pair, I thought I would win. I put my opponent on an Ace, so I though he would think his top pair would be good. Then when the turn came a King, I should have read him better, I had no idea he had AK.

To make a long story short, I will be folding A4 off-suit from now on, pre-flop

KingwithAxe1

KingwithAxe1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am also glad it all worked out for you. Again at those stakes it is also about having fun, having a beer and spending time with friends.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5 people or less in a sit n go Please don't fold A4 pre.Glad yall had fun.

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cash games FTW in home games.

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Yikes, you don't want to go to that extreme. :D While A4o is certainly not a stellar holding, so much depends on your current situation: position, relative stack sizes, the play of others at the table, and as JoeBob mentioned, how many players are in, etc.

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friends loved the tourney, so were gonna do it again this weekend.

If I go by WVHillbilly's post with all the blinds etc, will that system work for more than 5 people?

Last week we had 6, and it worked out great. This week we will probably have around 7, or maybe 8.

Will the time still be the same? Or should we lower the time incraments for each level?

Thanks guys.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friends loved the tourney, so were gonna do it again this weekend.

If I go by WVHillbilly's post with all the blinds etc, will that system work for more than 5 people?

Last week we had 6, and it worked out great. This week we will probably have around 7, or maybe 8.

Will the time still be the same? Or should we lower the time incraments for each level?

Thanks guys.
What blind level did the tourney end on last time? Once you get to 9 you can expect it to end somewhere around the 9th or 10th level. If you need to shorten it I'd do it on the last couple of levels when play will be short-handed and most hands will either be AIPF or raise/folds and you can devote a dealer.

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think both tourneys ended at 1000/2000 or 2000/4000...i forget tbh lol

We always have someone deal, 2 people actually with the 2 decks, so it speeds the game up at the end.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should be fine with the tourney I laid out up to the point where you need more than 1 table.

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should be fine with the tourney I laid out up to the point where you need more than 1 table.

OK sweet, we will never have more than 8 so we can always go off of that sheet you created.

Thanks again for the set-up, my friends loved it.

Now I just gotta work on my game, so I can win lol:D

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games