Playing professional poker and family. Is it possible?

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Two high-level professional colleagues of mine that I know only live with their girlfriend because their family didn't really believe in poker, but when they started winning big tournaments they preferred to distance themselves!
Whoever is not on the side of defeat does not deserve to be on the side of Victory!:unsure:

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is quite strange to think that such things do not go together. I can't understand how people can combine unemployment with having a family, a wife, and especially children. And I know quite a few of them. Do you think poker is more difficult to combine with family life than, say, unemployment?

M

Misanthrop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
I am sure it's possible and that there are many pros with families out there

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you know any professional poker player who has his own family (wife and children)?

Is it possible to reconcile these two matters ?
I think Lex Veldhuis is married and has children.
He managed to make a middle term move to new zealand before his children have to go to school.
So I think it is possible.

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Totally possible like if it is any other job.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Well yeah that's totally possible... although personally I don't know how people with a family ever get anything done😅👍

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Personally, I am not familiar with professional players. But it is obvious to me that it is quite possible to combine the professional qualities of a poker player, his work schedule and activities in general with family life. I don't understand at all what the problem could be :)

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
Anything is possible in life if you focus and make a plan that is realistic. Obviously it is easier if you start your professional poker career, single and after a couple of years you manage to earn more than 10K per month consistently... rest assured that you will not lack options to get married. lol

Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Really hadn't thought about it. It's certainly possible, but it's also true that it must be very challenging, and I doubt you'd have the same results as if you could dedicate all the time you wanted to poker. Being able to manage time with the responsibilities that come with having a family is quite complicated. But like any job, if you can separate things and be disciplined with your time, I see it as more than viable. Although your family also has to be able to respect it and adapt a bit.

jproy444

jproy444

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's tough. If you want to live from poker, you must play alot (like a job). Must be easier to be a professional first and meet someone/ have a family after.

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I dont know anyone but I believe in this to have a good life including poker, 8 hours rest,8 hours work(poker),8 hours play( family)

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Do you think professional players are doomed to loneliness? :) .... that's definitely not the case. If a person is a professional player, then most likely this person earns quite well. Someone who earns well is a good candidate for starting a family :)

Rosylly

Rosylly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Of course.

Professional means you make money out of it, right? I don't think many people would have problems with that type of poker player.

Playing professinaly is definetely better than be a gambler that just loses his money, which is the majority of poker players.

kanogott

kanogott

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Its all about controlling the game. And if you have the success you have more support from your family. Then could bring time back with nice time. Its hard to build a bankroll from a bottom to live from the playing. Your family must be very tolerant. And also you need a constant success to could pay the daily bills.

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, it is possible if you set schedules and discipline them, as the family is always the most important thing, but if you can manage your schedules with your family without any problems as there are several people who live like this.

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's very difficult because sometimes there are family commitments, for me it's difficult to play for now

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is no different from any profession. It is how you manage and balance your life is what matters. Those that fail to do so, most likely end up with failed relationships. Those can can balance successfully will good relationships.

R.Melnyk77

R.Melnyk77

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you're a professional player, make money playing poker, and you're willing to use that money to pay your bills, then of course you can have a family. But if you think you're a professional player, but poker doesn't make you money, and yet you keep playing poker all day, then you're probably better off alone :)

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello friend, I don't know any professional player, but I think that if you can reconcile your family and play poker professionally, I mean you would be like any professional who is earning money to be able to support his family, I think there is no problem with that, he The problem seems to me to be when you are not being profitable and spend more money than allowed to play.