Playing professional poker and family. Is it possible?

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My wife is against poker, but I'm not a professional player, I think it depends on how you allocate your time. If you consistently earn good poker, then why not? Many professionals have families. But we must not confuse professionalism and illness with the game. Professionals have a cold mind, for them it’s just money, but for sick people it’s a terrible gambling thing. Therefore, if you can distinguish the line between gambling and earnings by poker, then anything is possible.

ROman77

ROman77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not married, but I can tell you it's impossible. I used to live with a girl, with children ..poker caused only discord and spoiled my game statistics..
One of my friends after work,if he wants to play ,goes to his second apartment..
Even if you are working ,not drinking ,not cheating,your family is opposed to you playing..

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Normally poker professionals ... have a discipline and a schedule ... as well as a job ... that's why they are professionals ... for this reason I do not see any problem with the family ... clear as long as no you play and you lose the money of the expenses of the family ..!

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not married, but I can tell you it's impossible. I used to live with a girl, with children ..poker caused only discord and spoiled my game statistics..
One of my friends after work,if he wants to play ,goes to his second apartment..
Even if you are working ,not drinking ,not cheating,your family is opposed to you playing..

I have a wife and a four-year-old daughter. I only play when my daughter is asleep, because when she does not sleep, she runs up to me and says, "Dad, come and play." If I refuse, he cries loudly and goes to mother and my mindset is broken.

I have a deal with my wife - she takes half the winnings.

I think the best solution, if you want to be a professional poker player, is to make a career between 18 and 35 years of age and then set up a family.

S

Souza322

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's possible. You can take poker like a job, and have a schedule to play.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is up to the individual to allocate time to play poker and spend time with the family.If the family are against the time spent playing poker then find another hobby or another family.:):):)

Dmytro Lysyuk

Dmytro Lysyuk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I think it's possible. I'm not married, but I know a lot of professional players. In essence, for professional players, poker is a profession, so I do not see any obstacles.

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jobs like Poker Pro, Rock Star, Business, you are married to that and taking on a partner than making a family is were one starts to suffer. Its like I cant stand here rock stars saying they want a family life, well looking MFer you got to be a rock star, people want it all, youre married to a family or youre married to your career but both usually doesnt work.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that if you have big gains everything is possible haha. You can go on a trip taking your family for a walk and enjoy them once the tournament finishes or at each break. The downside is if all the money in the family depends on you and poker. A bad streak can leave you losing everything. regards

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course yes!! there are several, This is taken as work, just like any other! has schedule to start the tournaments and time to finish !! With planning everything is possible !! Players Brazilian Andre Aakkari is an example, João Simão another example, Bruno Foster who lives live, has several !!

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think its very possible, you just need to make time for both. If that is the only family income their could be some extra stress, but it can be done.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is certainly possible the player Joao Simao do Brazil is an example of reconciling wife and children with high-yield poker

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to establish guidelines with your family members to make sure they take your job seriously as you do. If they can't support you then you need to reconsider your job/hobby or if the people you love love you back

A

Aca0012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it is possible to spot these two. The biggest poker players dealing with professional poker are considered by their families to have their poker business. Everything is in the head, and if you are ground-breaking, normal and disciplined in poker and you have limitations, you can definitely find a partner who will understand everything and live with it. If you have such a problem, do not worry, you'll find the right one when it's time for it. There is no need to rush, so the choice will be better, all the best! Greeting!

diadiavalik

diadiavalik

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is certainly possible, I have been playing poker for more than five years, and my wife does not mind !!!
The main thing is to devote time to wife and children. I play poker after 9 pm and this does not interfere with my family.
And it is also important to win at least a little bit and show it to your wife, then there will not be any problems in the family!

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is possible. I have a friend of mine who has woman and child and his only income since at least 10 years is poker so i consider him as a professional. He considers poker just as normal job playing several hours per day and in fact he has more time for his family compared with somebody that works 9am to 6pm every business day.

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think so, because it would not be possible to reconcile both! Several professionals have family and live poker.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the reasons why the game is a problem is that it will consume massive amount of time and effort. When you are invested in and the inevitable downswing occurs it will ruin your life,mood,and relationships. Keep poker a lucrative hobby and don't quit your real job/source of income.

Y

yago23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi. I do not think that is very compatible with playing cards that have family but I do not think it's impossible. I'll think about it!!!

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
surely my friend, just like anyone who wants to graduate has to study and work, I believe that the sim to be a professional player and have time for your family, after all to be a professional does not have to become a slave to the game. It is the question of you if you program that you can reconcile the two easy!

DanyDGD

DanyDGD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its like I cant stand here rock stars saying they want a family life

X

xbursonicx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you know any professional poker player who has his own family (wife and children)?
Well, Bryan Paris is one of them (you can watch his streams on https://www.twitch.tv/bparispoker).

Overall I don't think any wife/girlfriend would complain much if you consistently bring lots of money with poker, i.e. it would be just a job.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Balancing these two aspects of life are a definite challenge. I am not a professional poker player, but I can see the difficulty.

In all things, you must have a solid set of priorities. This doesn't mean that priority #1 doesn't sometimes get out prioritized by priority #2, but you must know which is on top. Your family should be #1. All your decisions are then bounced against whether it is good for your family or not.

Personally, my wife is not a real big fan of my poker play, but she knows i enjoy it so she supports my play, up to a point. So we have agreed upon a certain set of boundaries and these work well. Unfortunately, she is much more amiable when i am winning, but it is hard to convey why i can't win everytime i play a tournament. When i try and explain that cashing 20% of the time is actually quite good, it is hard for her to grasp that because she does not understand poker well enough.

Be aware of the warning signs of real uncontrolled addiction and you should be OK.

Bambini7777

Bambini7777

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, there are many such, for example, Ivan Demidov Russian professional:)