Is playing Poker an investment?

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been playing poker for fur for 5 years, now that I have a job I think about raising stakes and invest some money in poker, is that a good idea?
I think that it will be very disappointing to lose the money that you got with hard work. And I think that this can interfere with making optimal decisions.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been playing poker for fur for 5 years, now that I have a job I think about raising stakes and invest some money in poker, is that a good idea?
Hello, louuu19! I think, this will, as Game in Coin!.. Because now You are working on another Job... If You want to invest the Money in Poker,
this means, by my opinion, Poker need to be your Job again! Because in Poker is very important stable practice!.. But anyway I wish You Good Luck!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you need to ask this question, the answer is 'No' (at least 'NO' as far as 'invest some money into yourself playing poker'). Staking other proven players might be something to consider but tbh, it's not an easy way to make money either.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
This is a good idea if you have good enough results. It can be a good idea if you have enough free time, if you are patient and disciplined. And it is a good idea if the money you invest will not be of critical importance to you.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
For poker to be a true investment one must put a value on their time, imo. I know that when I'm going to spend a $100 or more on a trny buy-in I look around for the trny that's going to yield the best results in an X Y Z kind of way.
X: I'm looking for the best GTD payout for the $. Around here the best trny is a $15K GTD for $30. There's rebuys and an add-on, or you can buy a double add-on at 1st break, but for the $ that's going to the top 5 players it's pretty cool. There's a $4K GTD freezeout on Fridays that I'm pretty loyal to for $120. It always hits over $10K.
Y: I'm also looking for blinds of at least 20 mins or better. 30-minute blind trnys are right there in my wheelhouse.
Z: Finally, the cost of the trny itself. If I'm getting at least 10 to 1 to make 1st, then that's worth it to me.
I'm still working on a live ring-game bankroll.

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker is not typically considered a form of traditional investing. While both poker and investing involve managing risks and making decisions based on probabilities, they are distinct activities with different goals and approaches. Here are a few key points to consider:

1. Risk and Reward: Investing typically involves allocating capital with the expectation of generating long-term returns and building wealth. While there are risks associated with investing, it is generally approached with the intention of generating a positive return on investment over time. In contrast, poker involves gambling with the potential to win or lose money in the short term. The outcomes in poker are highly dependent on factors like luck, skill, and the actions of other players.
  2. Time Horizon: Investing often has a longer time horizon, where investments are held over months, years, or even decades. The goal is to generate returns and grow wealth gradually over time. Poker, on the other hand, typically involves shorter-term transactions and results, with players competing in individual sessions or tournaments.
  3. Diversification and Control: In investing, diversification is a key principle to manage risk by spreading investments across different asset classes and sectors. This helps to reduce exposure to any single investment's performance. In poker, diversification is not applicable since it is a single game or activity.
  4. Skill and Probability: While luck plays a role in both poker and investing, the importance of skill and probability differs. In poker, skill can significantly influence long-term results as experienced players can make more informed decisions and exploit the weaknesses of opponents. Investing, on the other hand, relies more on factors like market analysis, research, and understanding the fundamentals of the assets being invested in.
It's important to approach poker with a clear understanding that it is a form of entertainment or gambling rather than a reliable method of investing or wealth building. While some professional poker players may generate significant profits over time, it requires exceptional skill, discipline, and the ability to manage risk effectively.

If you are interested in investing, it is advisable to consider traditional investment avenues such as stocks, bonds, real estate, or other financial instruments that align with your financial goals and risk tolerance. These investments typically involve a long-term perspective and are subject to different regulations, strategies, and considerations compared to the game of poker.

lifecoach22

lifecoach22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you play well and work on your game, then of course if you invest in your initial bankroll you can make good money in the long run.

jose_saleh

jose_saleh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
I suggest you to start playing with small buy ins, and don't invest much, try to make your profits your only investments to avoid loosing money.

MrHachiman

MrHachiman

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course it is an investment, I am surprised by the question if you has been in poker for five years. You have a ROI (return of investment) that arises from the amount of buyins you have paid and all the prizes you have win... In the long run, if you are a winning player (and I would say it doesn't take much knowledge to be one) you will have a positive ROI.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker can also be considered as an investment, if you work very well at it you can make a profit in the long term.

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have two professional poker player friends who did well, but I know how hard it was for them to reach that level and their discipline is absurd, it's not as easy as it seems but it depends if you think your focus is the maximum in this sport will make you happy or not!;):unsure:

nameless

nameless

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello investing in poker is investing in yourself but to be a good player it takes time to become a good poker player it is not just raising the bets because the more you raise the bets the better players you are going to find that means that having to study this game, improve it and go step by step applying the things you are learning and it takes time from one day to the next. You cannot play with recreational players and the next day with professionals because they are going to peel you. At least it was my experience. I played expensive tournaments and the truth is that they surpassed me in level and I didn't have the bankroll to play those tournaments either. You would have to have a good bankroll management and bet the money you are willing to lose

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The more I play poker, the more I am convinced that there is no point in investing money in this game. There is no point, because there are freerolls that will allow you to quickly create and increase your bankroll, you just need to be patient. But if you lack patience, then you do not need to invest money in poker.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
if you're in better condition, I believe it's the natural way, not as an investment, but as a natural evolution of your game.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Need to invest in stocks, gold, real estate, investing in gambling is a bad idea.:)

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It depends, investment in what? in you? on good players? or investment that you expect to receive returns without direct involvement?

If it's you and you're studying deeply, yes, like any new learning.

Decide how you are going to use your new knowledge.
Hence you will have your return or loss on your investment.