lacroir

lacroir

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
To start with: I also consider myself more of an amateur player, but already started reading into odds/starting hands/statistics/GTO etc., and as of now I'm starting to winning (not big, but starts to become consistent).

So, what I was wondering: let's assume I play online against some very loose/amateur player and have to face whether I should 3-bet/jam something. I will calculate pot odds, thinking about what the opponent(s) might have and then make a decision. Sometimes I can do a 3-bet/jam, calculating that from that point on their pot odds will not justify a call. But they will still call and maybe get luck on me.

So even further simplifying: how is it the best to play against players who don't think that much on odds and starting hands and these kind of stuffs? Sometimes I feel, I can play optimal and make good decisions but e.g. I cannot assume that they will do similar calculations and fold something - even when a proper raise from me would not justify calling it due to worse pot odds for them. They would simply not fold because they don't even think about these kind of stuffs.

Maybe I over-simplified it but I hope it makes sense what I'm trying to ask. How do you deal with such players?

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Amateurs experience a wider range of emotions while playing. If they win, it's good, if they lose, well, okay (it's a shame, of course, but what can you do). Entertainment is an important aspect of the game for them, so emotions are an integral part of the process. It can be positive emotions such as having fun with friends, catching one out on the river, or a successful session, but even tilt or moving creates an experience that an amateur can then tell everyone about.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
If you play according to GTO / the math behind poker, then you're doing it right!

If fishes or amateurs do not follow this line, they might get lucky sometimes by calling big for their weakest draws and sometimes getting there but you did the right thing and they cannot be profitable in the long run with this play but you will.

Of course sometimes it might make sense to deviate from GTO if you know someone is super loose and calling every bet, it might not make much sense to try to bluff this kind of player. But on the other hand you can make big value bets here.

So just stick to your plan and don't get discouraged when other players get lucky even if they should have been folding, etc.

In the long run, their luck will not matter but your understanding of the game will! ☺️

Good luck!

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing with beginners is easy and hard at the same time. They call often and play for luck. It is impossible to understand exactly what card a beginner is playing with. Usually they have a small card.