Phrase "Nice Hand"?

J

jsstone16

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
there is a big difference in 'nice hand' and well played. I have used both. Nice hand comes in when there is no skill. like when players make things an all-in-fest.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
empty words without any emotions, meaningless phrase

dopustim

dopustim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good hand - well-assembled combination.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there is a big difference in 'nice hand' and well played. I have used both. Nice hand comes in when there is no skill. like when players make things an all-in-fest.

That’s interesting, not how I use the phrases myself but with you having pointed it out, I can see that many players also use it in a similar fashion.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I much prefer saying nice hand to the person still in the game than good game to the person just put out of the tournament.

FastOne

FastOne

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It's just one of those things that are used out of "tradition". I think most people don't use it in its literal sense, mostly as saying good play or well played. Of course, sometimes people use it in a sarcastic way, after losing to a bad beat. But in general I think we tend to use it to congratulate someone's play, without paying much attention to the meaning of the actual words. Anyway, you make a good point in your analysis. :)

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most times "nice hand" means "what the f...ing shit did you do?"

Haha yeah if it's me the one that uses the phrase xD.
I mean no offense or anything, just some times that I'm frustrated I might use the words 'nh' in a sarcastic way.
But I guess most times people say it without thinking too much or without any real meaning, like you say hello.

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never used these words myself but sometimes they wrote well played or a good hand

V

Vlad Nesterenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Normal phrase, this topic can be discussed forever and come to nothing)) it is better to consider the way you think the best

R

rmcmullen2003

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I will use VNH (very nice hand) if someone gets quads or better but only if they have pocket pairs. If they hit three 8's on the board and have J-8 I am not saying nh or vnh. Sometimes even if the hand does not go to showdown I will still say it when someone catches me bluffin and I have to fold. But like someone said above it is probably over used and I think it is more of a sportsmanship gesture than anything else.

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is just politeness among the players, attention should not be emphasized on this. common measures of mutual understanding.

Pokerishard

Pokerishard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It s a normal congrat........doesn t mean nothing more then : "nice hand".

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands