Phil hellmuth "Q4o"

S

shokaku

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Like so often in poker. One bad decision, here re-raising with Q4o, leads to another bad decision. He had put himself in a realy tough spot here, where every possible action was bad. Folding would have left him with just 9 BB, so he chose to gamble.

Opponent surely took it better than he would have.

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Obviously this is not a good move longterm.
Who knows what kind of mood he was in and perhaps tilted or just wanted to gamble it up.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Somebody posted this in the forum like a day or two ago.

I saw the the clip and it seems that he's kinda short stacked and really sick of the guy to his right.

He could go another orbit or maybe two but if he wants to try in win it then he's got to go all in against someone he believes is messing around stealing the blinds.

I doubt he would do that against a rock/tight player. He's probably thinking if the guy had a pair then he wouldn't raise it and try and trap Phil. So its any 2 cards and against any 2 then against that you're going to be something like 65/35 underdog if the opponent has over cards or 55/45 in favor of Phil if the opponent has 2 random cards below the Queen.

This again, this is why I hate why folks see certain moves that PROFESSIONAL PLAYERS DO AND in this instance, one of the best tournament players in the world and judge the moves. lol.

Yeah its a bad move but those folks had been playing for awhile and those folks just don't give up or go with hands like that for zero reason. There is more than just the hand influencing his judgement to go with that awful trash hand.

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
He just knew that he would catch thrips.
Seriously though, I think he knew what he was doing. Calculate pot odds and call.

hsimonyan

hsimonyan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Phil is certainly a great poker player but I don't like him, he put himself in a very difficult position, but he was very lucky, or it was 'white magic' ....

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think about the play of the poker professional phil hellmuth? I leave the link so you can see it and give me your opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQLt6obZ9YI

I think several top-notch players would try to bluff Foxen here. It is not a "good" or standard play, but a bald bluff against a player who was occasionally playing weak hands. Sometimes bluff-raising against a player like this will get you into trouble, and it got Helmuth into trouble. Foxen had a pair this time. To raise a bluff like this, it doesn't matter what two cards you have, you could have 82o and still play this way against a player who has been noticed raising junk. The goal is to get him to fold his junk (i.e. Foxen). The only problem is that he didn't have junk this time, so Helmuth is in trouble. Helmuth's choices are to fold and continue with 9.2 BB and cash out later very low in the tourney or go all in and hope just so that he can cash out higher later. Since his Q was higher than Foxen's 9, he does have a 28% chance here. (of course Helmuth doesn't know this until the cards are face up). The all-in has only one goal, to try to finish higher in the tourney with a lucky draw. It worked this time, but would only work 28% of the time. The odds that matter are how far up ITM you will move if you hit vs. where you would be if you fold. If the hand would hit 28% of the time, then you need to have at least the difference in payout odds of 3.6:1 when it hits vs. if you fold. I am not sure in that tourney where they were at in terms of payout, but that might be the difference between 2 or 3 payout slots. In the right situation against the right player this has odds in your favor sometimes. I think Helmuth had the odds for the payout increase in his favor.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This is certainly not a good hand to bet on. What was the idea he had, bluffing, just betting or lost concentration, hard to imagine what went through his head.

Savantino

Savantino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he overthink it, thought this guy trying to rebluff him and wanted to show a "world class poker"