D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
WHAT ??? Tell me since you are paying "attention" where did this information about keeping run it once afloat came from?? Just so you "know" you can't run a business and report to your backers you are going to finance the operation by playing high stakes poker! why do people who know NOTHING, always have to make such stupid remarks. It would be illegal for Phil to be mixing "operating revenue" with this challenge. He is running a regulated site. They would shut him down if he could not show separate funding for this challenge. Phil owns other businesses too, I guess he is going to be homeless when this is over, because of course, you are paying attention.

The 'information' comes from Phil Galfond himself who has been open in various interviews about the state (healthy or otherwise) of Run it Once as a viable entity. He has given several interviews where he has spoken plainly about it not being profitable and that his backers could not keep funding the venture if the site could not drive enough traffic to make it viable.

He has even admitted that if he had the choice to go back in time, he would likely opt to not attempt to start a poker site. Phil Galfond is frank when interviewed and had admitted (the most recent Chip Race podcast for example) that he was not prepared for the challenge and thought he might be able to study and learn as the challenge was undertaken against Veni Vidi- obviously the wrong call (and also re-iterated that the very idea of the challenges was to drive eyes/traffic to the site as he has done previously).

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
WHAT ??? Tell me since you are paying "attention" where did this information about keeping run it once afloat came from?? Just so you "know" you can't run a business and report to your backers you are going to finance the operation by playing high stakes poker! why do people who know NOTHING, always have to make such stupid remarks. It would be illegal for Phil to be mixing "operating revenue" with this challenge. He is running a regulated site. They would shut him down if he could not show separate funding for this challenge. Phil owns other businesses too, I guess he is going to be homeless when this is over, because of course, you are paying attention.
Watch how you speak to people who are only trying to add to this discussion. Anything else like this just won't be tolerated. It's unnecesary, completely uncalled for (as the poster said he got it straight from watching Phil), and just plain rude.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah they are playing for real money.also phil is giving odds to each player , if someone finishes the challenge and is an overall winner then phil will give them a bonus of a predetermined ammount ,

Each different "challenge" has different side bets. Yes, this is real money in Euros which makes it "worse" in US dollars for Phil. This side bet is VeniVedi's 100k vs. Phil's 200k. So on top of the amount at the end Phil pays an extra 200k

I am away from my computer today so I will just say Phil had a winning session +87k, and then immediately got crushed the next session for -247k. The total is around -750k

I love Phil, I thought he might be an underdog BUT, if anyone has ever paid attention to high-stakes HU it does NOT go like this challenge. We are bordering on Mike Postle "stuff". I think many players have given up high stakes because we "know" there are active "teams" with real time software etc.... I hope Phil just quits and pays off!!

Thanks for clearing up how it works. That is a crazy amount of money. Do you think this challenge will hurt Phil's brand?

This might be of some interest to some of you (tracking the progress)

https://www.runitonce.eu/galfond-challenge/?utm_source=20-22_18-9-15-16_7-3#

Awesome link! Thanks

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Galfond has suspended the match with Veni Vidi, with it would appear, the possibility he could concede the match.

He has issued a long statement regarding a loss of confidence, the onset of depression, inability to play his best game. I am sure it has been a harrowing experience so taking a break from the series to mentally regroup seems like the best thing Galfond could do for now.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Galfond has suspended the match with Veni Vidi, with it would appear, the possibility he could concede the match.

He has issued a long statement regarding a loss of confidence, the onset of depression, inability to play his best game. I am sure it has been a harrowing experience so taking a break from the series to mentally regroup seems like the best thing Galfond could do for now.

Wow, it's hard to see Phil go through that, but it goes to show that he is only human like the rest of us. I hope that he can make a good comeback story.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You can't see hole cards ?? I never watch a stream , video , FT replayer etc without being able to see the hole cards , ljust boring and miss of the chance for some poker education while having fun being a viewer and watching high stakes players , especially the very good ones , battling each other , lol

Anyway , I find this'' me against the world '' challenge stupid , he risks far more if he loses , his site's reputation one of them . I feel somehow sad for him against some unknown to me players , but for Jungleman I desire him to defeat Galfond and teach him a good lesson , lol :)