Pessimist or Optimist

Akorps

Akorps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Expect the worst, and you won't be disappointed :)

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With all the answers given there a lot's of views on the subject but i think i am leaning towards being a pessimist.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
being a pessimist doesn't mean that your sitting there all feeling sorry for yourself or anything like that.

all it means is that you should be prepared for bad things hoping for the best of course .

If things work your way then great. But alot of the times people will have AK and think its AA. Or they might have KK in a 4way pot with a runnout something like 34577 twotone and they get crazy when they call someones shove and lose.

Pessimism is just another word for saying humbleness or awareness. Be prepared for losing no matter what your holding and if things work out as planned then great. But if you have ACES and think your going to win "NO MATTER WHAT", then i assume you are not going to be able to take the bad beat in the appropriate manner because you had too"high expectations".

Thats why i said expect less and get more.

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
being a pessimist doesn't mean that your sitting there all feeling sorry for yourself or anything like that.

all it means is that you should be prepared for bad things hoping for the best of course .

If things work your way then great. But alot of the times people will have AK and think its AA. Or they might have KK in a 4way pot with a runnout something like 34577 twotone and they get crazy when they call someones shove and lose.

Pessimism is just another word for saying humbleness or awareness. Be prepared for losing no matter what your holding and if things work out as planned then great. But if you have ACES and think your going to win "NO MATTER WHAT", then i assume you are not going to be able to take the bad beat in the appropriate manner because you had too"high expectations".

Thats why i said expect less and get more.

My thoughts exactly i don't look at as being a negative it helps me keep calm and ready for the next hand.

B

blender803

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play my best poker when i`m angry with my girl ...don`t know why :d

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
last week i was a pessimist, this week i am an optimist. Just got 2nd place in a MTT for $58.00.

TimboJonez

TimboJonez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In life I am an optimist but in poker I always expect the worst lol

R

RUNRRUNRTO

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is It More Than A "Feeling"

For me I often get a "feeling" of what the outcome will be before it happens. Example, other night in bar tournament very deep 2 away from the money I wake up with Kings. I only have 9 blinds left since it's now a turbo structure so I see myself shoving (I'm on the CO) but before I do it, I have a vision that BB has AJ and wins. I shove BB calls with AJ. Jack on the flop, ace on the turn, J on the riv. Another example, I have 8-10 suited on the Button I visualize raising before even doing it and visualize SB has QQ. I raise SB calls flop 9c, 7c, Jc nut flush for me. :) Sometimes you just feel before it happens.

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me I often get a "feeling" of what the outcome will be before it happens. Example, other night in bar tournament very deep 2 away from the money I wake up with Kings. I only have 9 blinds left since it's now a turbo structure so I see myself shoving (I'm on the CO) but before I do it, I have a vision that BB has AJ and wins. I shove BB calls with AJ. Jack on the flop, ace on the turn, J on the riv. Another example, I have 8-10 suited on the Button I visualize raising before even doing it and visualize SB has QQ. I raise SB calls flop 9c, 7c, Jc nut flush for me. :) Sometimes you just feel before it happens.

I think we all get these feelings from time to time it can be a bit scary.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
optimist in life, pessimist in poker

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in poker I try to be a stone cold machine, when I get too optimistic it's bad and when I get pessimistic it is also bad! think about how the pro's react when they lose or lose big money, from what ivey or antonius would say it feels good to win a lot but it is even worse when you lose but there calm poker mindset is why he is such a great player, I don't have this mindset yet, I could not handle I think winning a crazy sum and especially not lose it so this is a huge leak for me, of course by handle a huge win I am not saying I would not like it but don't have what it takes to get even in position to get that huge score in the optimal way

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always be prepared to lose!

etherghost

etherghost

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This is what top poker players possess... you know, the ones that almost always make it to the final table? I'm developing this skill through small stakes too. Yes, it can be developed.

L

LeePaiva2014

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep.... i expect it and a lot of the time... it comes haha

blakewyte

blakewyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Hope for the best, prepare for the worst."

That's all I tell myself especially when its a preflop all-in. :p

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pessimist in poker for sure, but I always try to change, but when I see I'm already thinking that my 4 of a kind will be losing for the opponent's straight flush. :(

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you should never be very optimisitc before the outcome of the hands because even if you played your hand correctly, if your opponent have even 1 out, in case you get bad beaten, it would be very hard to recover from that.its much better for me to expect the worst, and if it doesnt happens then, of course you can be more optimistic to face the game.

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok last week i was an optimist and the week turned out very well, This week however i am now a pessimist after the start to the week yesterday.. every bad beat possible and so many coolers.

chipstacker

chipstacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
used to be an optimist but after getting rivered so many times poker players tend to be pessimists

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my approach is kind different

When you play do you always think the worst is going to happen (villian hits one outer on the river) or do you think the outcome is going to be a positive one. I'm reading the Zen and the art of poker at the moment and one of the chapters mentions this.

" By expecting the worst, you have already mentally dealt with
it. You are ahead of it—steady, calm, cool, and collected for the
next hand. The optimist in such situations fares poorly. Cheerfully
expecting to win, he is stunned when it doesn’t happen, and
his agitation often carries over into future hands.
Thus, being a pessimist becomes a positive trait in poker. It allows
you to forge ahead coolly. (And to look cool, too, which opponents
often interpret as strength.) The ability to see the dark
side—what can go drastically wrong—and to have this view of
things always within easy reach become an advantage in poker."

Is this the right way to go or should we always be positive ?

you don´t have to try to force i play with your mind, otherwise you are being a fish, but rahter than that you should focus in the range of your opponent and the odds who make him winner over you, if you are ahead you bet deoending on pot size if you are behind, well check or fold, that´s the way it is,

i would like to change the outcome with my mind but i know it´s not going to happened not even once, and i know that my opponents don´t have that power either,

so don´t overestimate the power of your mind

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can not explain it, but I'd rather play, read hand, when I'm sad and sorrow, mainly when I got to the final table in MTT I had such a condition ..I think this condition gives more confidence and motivation if I caused an ITM mood сlimb..

ccocco

ccocco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in all aspects of life must always be positive knowing that there is a negative side of things ... like yin and yang .. but in poker has more to do with the odds of being positive .. if one handles well those odds and has a game plan will not depend on the positive or negative ..

Fieldsy

Fieldsy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play with confidence I play great. When I am doubting myself my chips seem to slowly get away from me.