Overthinking

M

moosepaw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you sometimes overthink your game? I often overestimatee my opponents and play like they are on a much higher level than they really are and i dont adapt to their level. Its a huge flaw that i need to work on.

It's okay to pretend everyone is a professional at first, but you should be adapting and taking notes. I mark people as red who are complete noobs (relative to me); most of them don't change their habits much. Sometimes putting why they're noob in notes, which really depends where you're at in terms of poker skill.

I've made the same mistake too, so good luck.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that the adaptation to the player's level is more related to cash games, all the time the same players, all the time stacks of 100bb, there are ranges, and the draw of cards depending on the range.
In tournaments in a different way, the size of the stack affects, with different stacks, tournament players play differently, because of this, and the position is more important than in cash games.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you sometimes overthink your game? I often overestimatee my opponents and play like they are on a much higher level than they really are and i dont adapt to their level. Its a huge flaw that i need to work on.

Yep. It's often a good idea to take a very short break (a day or two) and then come back with a clearer mind. :)

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hello there Mikeloti13, how you doing today? Very nice question, and hard to answer.

I'm afraid I didn't say anything I wanted but this text is far too long and I don't intend to be boring out of proportion and make our CardsChat's friends to go to sleep. :D

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa
Carlos, you just go right ahead and be as "boring" as you wish....I think (and I'm surely not alone) that your posts are terrific. Very thought provoking. Thank you for the thought and work you put into them.
Regards
David 'gon4iypes' Harriss

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
You must believe in yourself, but sometimes it is better to have the courage to throw a good hand if you feel lost!

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Carlos, you just go right ahead and be as "boring" as you wish....I think (and I'm surely not alone) that your posts are terrific. Very thought provoking. Thank you for the thought and work you put into them.
Regards
David 'gon4iypes' Harriss

Hey, thank you very much gon4iypes, I am very soft touch one and I appreciated.
However, I will try to make more short texts and more objective lines of thought, so I can make the lives of the readers easier.
I also believe that irony and sarcasm are good from a pedagogical point of view.
Have a nice day!

Regards;

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on many factors. As they say, watch the game and watch how others play. An aggressive player often loses because he often bluffs. You need to trust your playing style.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Mikeloti13-

What a great thread!

Yes, I constantly overestimate both my poker opposition and their hand strength. It doesn’t matter how many times they get exposed as playing a marginal hand (and winning or not) when the next hand is dealt I revert back (like a squirrel) to default position, presuming they are Phil Ivey holding a strong hand. Gradually I am weaning myself off this position. I force myself to call down some hands to the river just to see where I and the villain stands (there is no other way around the issue- painful though it is at times).

I have also spent considerable time trying to analyze why I think this way. To be frank one conclusion is I just don’t recognize stupid in poker as I do in other places. In any other area in life I find it quite easy to assess someone’s intelligence and capability. In poker, likely as I am new to the game, not from a gambling background, I automatically credit others with playing smartly. This makes no sense. Contrary to what many assume poker players are not (when it has been studied) any more intelligent than any other group.

So, I constantly, like every other player, see hands played in a ridiculous manner day in and out – the constant refrain being ‘I can’t believe they played that stupidly’. And, in the worst instances it is not the times they lost, but the absurd times they bet through every street with nothing but a high card...and won.

So one recent tactic which has helped to a degree is taking very specific player notes. Forget bet sizes and patterns. I write down examples of hands played in a reckless, wild manner. This is something of a leveller when itcomes to certain players who have a strong image and therefore regularly get away with murder on the felt.

It’s one tool you can employ to begin to demystify your opposition, to lessen their intimidation factor.

Last edited:
Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello there Katie Dozier, thank you very much for your professional comments. It help us a lot here. You are right about what you say, if you playing small, mid and higher stakes: at the micros there are new players everyday, and we cannot say they are "bad" indeed, we simply have no information to deal with this guy.
If I am playing 100 NLHE, for example, I know it is a very restricted field, the regulars are there everyday, and everyone knows each other. When it comes a new player in the pool, one I never seen it before, I elect to treat it as a GOOD REGULAR, until the player proves itself the contrary

You make many great points and thanks for your nice words :)

To clarify more about my assumptions when it comes to new players, I def wouldn’t play against them in a way that requires more poker knowledge than a novice would have until proven otherwise. In other words, I wouldn’t make a bluff and/or more sophisticated multi-street like that requires a player to be “thinking” in order to make that unconventional line profitable for me.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Identifying players properly is one skill that needs to be developed. Often times when I see someone bluff once or twice I make the mistake of thinking that they always bluff and get caught by their traps. I've started putting counters by my notes (when I take notes) to see how many times someone does something.
The second skill is in adjusting properly. If you adjust to someone who you think is a weak player it could be easy to over-adjust and treat them like they are weaker than they really are and get caught losing a huge pot or two.
And finally, there's the rest of the table you have to consider. If you're stuck in a 3-way pot with this weak player, you have to be able to play it as though one player is strong and the other is weak and adjust your play accordingly.

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3thinking to much

Think long think wrong. Your mind is you own worst enemy. Your mind will conjure up its own worst image

L

Liru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to believe the same thing, overestimating my opponents hand and always thinking they have the nuts, until someone told me to play like you always have it, I've lost many hands with this method but it has boosted my confidence. Just need to work on it.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every1 probably has overthinked before once in there life. If you know the game good enough all the outs ect. That's when you start to focus on other people for bluffing and how they play and stuff. Then you take it to next level with say bluffing 1 in every 5 hands just to see ect. Pushing yrself and others no matter what is also rewarding.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
I recommend you to overcome this error is that you play passive style that means not to go to all hands you have to choose which hands to go and with what hands depending on the behavior of your opponents according to your location on the table so you will better fit the rhythm and game at the table or tournament you participate

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let's be honest with yourself - you can play in only two cases! First if you played correctly or if the variance! All unfortunately no other reason! Therefore, the time of decision-making is just an attempt to justify! I decided for myself that it is necessary to learn and improve and not to look for excuses!

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
after analyzing the hands, you just make a decision whether you played correctly or not, just the dispersion is very evil and insidious thing, you can fall into tilt

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
On-line tells

You make many great points and thanks for your nice words :)

To clarify more about my assumptions when it comes to new players, I def wouldn’t play against them in a way that requires more poker knowledge than a novice would have until proven otherwise. In other words, I wouldn’t make a bluff and/or more sophisticated multi-street like that requires a player to be “thinking” in order to make that unconventional line profitable for me.

Hi there Katie Dozier, it is very kind of you. I have a hand here that reminded what you've have said about on-line poker tells:

"In general I tend to assume that much but of course always seek to improve upon a starting assumption—looking for easy to get “clues” such as their preflop raise size as well as aggression. Those that tend to raise to standard sizes and are playing aggressively instead of passively (profitable moves especially in the games I play) get upgraded from me thinking of them as a total novice rather quickly
emoji4.png
"

This is the hand: https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/024uGLT3q

The tells that I found here were simple:

A) Completes from the SB: average regulars are simply never doing it, unless there are a real specific scenario for so doing: 90% 3-bet or fold and 10% call.

B) SB Donks bet flop after preflop raisor in position polarizes its range: it doesn't make many sense for a guy to complete from the SB with AcXc and then donk lead into the flop. Maybe Two Pair, or sets, but giving that SB made a huge donk flop, of nearly 80% of the pot, it will have more bluffs than values in its range. What calls attention, is exactly what you've said: the size that the player utilizes:

C) The turn doubles pairs and SB slows down its bet sizing: now it bets only 1/2 pot, which is also a strange move. If SB had two pair with a Qx now, I guess, it should be betting strong since BB gave tells that it could also have a flush in its range, by calling the huge donk flop.
If SB has a flush nuts, second or first flush nuts, it also should be betting here for value, because BB demonstrated strenght by calling the flop. Betting something between 68% and 150% of the pot would be good both for value and for bluff in a spot like this.
However, if I were in SB's shoes, I would:

A) Open-raise from the SB vs BB 3x or 3.5 giving that we are deep stacked.
The plan is to call some 3-bets (20% of times or more if the 3-bettor is a aggressive recreational) if they come and postflop we are going to check the vast majority of the boards because we are out of position and our opponents know that we open too much from the SB. ;)
When I hit a 7 I would keep checking to call 1/3 pot bets or at maximum 1/2 pot bets because now I have some equity and some turns and rivers can be good, or else, I am already planning a float, depending if BB bets flop and checks turn or if BB checks-behind flop to bet turn. When I call flop I have some floats in the turn in situations like this versus some types of ultra-exploitative players. Besides I have some outs, any ace would be fine, any seven and I could be already ahead of some pocket 6's, missed broadways and connectors, etc. (If BB only calls preflop. When BB 3-bets we need to rethink our strategy).
When I hit an Ace, I would also keep checking, because know I have a very strong value hand, but my image from the SB will give me more bluffs. When I check, BB will think that most of times I have nothing and will bluff more than necessary in a spot like this. Players who love to c-bet flop in pots where BB versus SB, are good candidates. The intention is to call many flops and turns, and maybe bet some rivers for value, depending if BB checks.
Also wil depend it BB called preflop or if BB 3-bets preflop: when SB 3-bets I cannot go very far with my TP Ace, with 7 kicker. I would be nearly breakeven or losing for A8, A9 and losing for AT+.
Summarizing: I would only buff BB in a situation like this when I have a Ace of Clubs or a King of Clubs. Otherwise, I would be unbalancing my out of position range too much. When I have the Ace of Clubs, raise preflop, now c-bet 80% with my flush draw, missed in the river and shoves it will a hard trouble for a average regular to call me with 3rd flush nuts in the river, unless, of course, it has the straight flush. (I say that because I am not crazy: if SB is an average regular and shoves river all-in deep stacked and I have only the 3rd nut flush, I know that this guy will have some bluffs in a spot like this, but those are minimal and I would be folding, if the SB player could really tell a more amenable story. This simply doesn't happen here: by completeting from the SB, giving this is not 2 NLHE but 100 NLHE, the player its screaming weakness at the cash tables. In this case we should give a couple of more speculative calls in the river and be ahead in most of scenarios.
Playing like the SB, bluffing with absolute no equity (it was drawing dead in the flop), shows that we can take good reads and notes on players if we really pay attention in the game and pay attention on what the players are doing.
Thank you for your patience, I am little bit boring sometimes. Trying to improve on that.
Have a nice day!

Regards;

Last edited:
V

Vlad Nesterenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, you need to play, proceeding from your capabilities optimally and first of all, think about your game, and the rest will come with experience

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Thanks for the tip, Katie. Are you saying those you see under or overbet the standard raise are playing passively because the are scared of losing?
This is where becoming a reg in a game type is particularly advantageous—because of you play a ton in a specific format then it’s extremely likely that if someone you have never seen before sits down at the table (wether live or online) then they are pretty likely to be a novice player.

In general I tend to assume that much but of course always seek to improve upon a starting assumption—looking for easy to get “clues” such as their preflop raise size as well as aggression. Those that tend to raise to standard sizes and are playing aggressively instead of passively (profitable moves especially in the games I play) get upgraded from me thinking of them as a total novice rather quickly [emoji4]