Only option when running bad is to play less

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
unfortunately i am not good in that . i often play even more because i want to win it back . that is not good

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
change sites for 1 or 2 days and be back after.....

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You can focus on whether something good comes after something bad or not ;)

R

RDHartsoe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with this. If I have a bad week or two I will take time off to clear my head and refocus.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Numb

I have found that after you play enough hands you just become numb to the bad runs. Now I usually laugh when it gets really bad for a long time.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try not to be affected by that, even if everything goes wrong I remain focused, I only pause when I see that my game has changed, and I could say that it has never happened to me that I am losing and losing, such a strong streak, because everyone We have gone from losing and losing but I always at least rescue something in the session I have. Something for the minimum but I have not had a fatal day so far. Staying focused is always essential:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
taking a break is a good idea if you need a mental break from the game, as well as time to evaluate your gameplay and decision making. however, a break is not what stops a bad streak, is playing. bad runs don't affect my game because i know it's all variance and probability in the long run.

lets take rolling dice, for example. lets say want to roll a 6 and, out of 100 tries, you don't. it's frustrating, but how do you eventually hit that 6? you keep rolling the dice. taking a break is fine because maybe you're just frustrated, but it doesn't do anything to affect the probable outcome of rolling a 6. it's still 1/6 if you continue rolling again immediately or after a 15 minute break.

the same goes with poker. lets say you're getting it in as a 60% favorite or better, but you're on the bad end of variance. taking a break could help your mental game and help make sure you're making +ev decisions and not being affect by your bad run, but it doesn't help with the probability of your hand winning in the long term.

Exactly this ^

The key is to NOT LET it affect your mental game.. AND CONTINUE to play your best by making the best possible decisions for each & every situation.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
unfortunately i am not good in that . i often play even more because i want to win it back . that is not good

Poker is full of pleasant and sad surprises. If you can control your interaction while playing, you cannot be easily left out. You can always come back and keep playing. Sometimes we have to calm down and focus, sometimes we have to stop for an hour or two, in some very bad cases it is good to stop playing for a day or two, which is not easy when we lose and we feel a strong desire to get our money back.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they play so much that they don't even feel the pressure anymore. Not to mention that good bank management should help a lot

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. After many years of play, it gets kind of numb. The losses come a lot, but when I win, it is a great satisfaction. I just keep going.

B

bucky_barnes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's necessarily about 'playing less' when I'm running bad, but I'll play less MTTs I feel like I don't have as big of an edge on. If I'm running bad, I might drop PKO and turbo/hyper turbo MTTs, and play the normal paced games, full ring MTTs. I might drop my buy-in as well and maybe play MTTs that are less than my max buy-in until I start to upswing.

So, my volume might go down a bit but, at the same time, I'm playing MTTs I'm more comfortable with and feel like I have the best chance of doing well and getting out of my run bad/downswing.

bra01

bra01

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I very much agree with your point of view. We should play as little or not as much as possible when it is down.

G

gonzalo1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the same, in bad times I think the best thing is to leave it for a few days and return with the cold mentality of always

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play less, actually even stop, when playing bad. when running bad, though, it's okay to take a breather to calm the nerves (we humans are wired to be adverse to calamity) but keep playing as always. AA loses to 72o 12% of the time, after all. It happens, but far less than our brain try to persuade it to be.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I'm in a bad run, I usually play less buy in games and play more freerolls or I just take a break from poker for a couple of days.

Jabbadanutz

Jabbadanutz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Dumb down

When I start playing bad I have to lower my stakes. That sometimes makes me feel better and strive to increase my ability to beat higher stakes.

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
all you have to do is learn from your mistake
when you play poker, never let you mind in loosing or winning
focus on the game and it's going to be better
if you can't focus than stop for a while

E

easy play

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Taking a break for 2-3 days help. No point in cursing our luck and continue playing. Very difficult to outrun Bad cards and bad beats consistently.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The only way that corresponds to get away for a few days from the tables is when the bad streaks are affecting your mind in your psychological game and that is why they last longer and it is better to take a break for a few days.

But the best way to beat variance in poker is with a lot of play volume if you are an online poker player.

T

tourpro99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the key question is whether you are running poorly or playing poorly. If my mental state affects my play, then yes, time for a break.
But if it's just the standard deviation of bad beats etc. then I keep the 'math/statistics' mindset and just focus on trying to play good, solid poker and make sound informed decisions.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to slow down when running bad. I admire players that can mostly play unaffected by bad streaks. Be interesting how one can have that mind set.
I usually drop to lower buy-in games and don't return to my normal buy-ins until the games seem to be back to normal.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
you take a lot of food and drinking water and the mood is always cool

EnzoRS94

EnzoRS94

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Well, try to convince all the gamblers that lost everything to slow down.
Go big or go home :ROFLMAO:

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best option is to take a break )))

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
That's the nice thing about cash games. When you're running bad you can just quit - no muss, no fuss. I do that all the time. When I'm hot I just keep playing, when I'm not, I go do something else.
Yeah, and that's the nice thing about amateur players - you can just quit when you get bored.