Only option when running bad is to play less

MarlonCanada

MarlonCanada

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to slow down when running bad. I admire players that can mostly play unaffected by bad streaks. Be interesting how one can have that mind set.

JordanH

JordanH

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's the nice thing about cash games. When you're running bad you can just quit - no muss, no fuss. I do that all the time. When I'm hot I just keep playing, when I'm not, I go do something else.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
There is another option when playing bad, it is to take a brake! I think it is the best, because you are resting and prepearing for the game.

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The beauty of playing a few good first person shooter games for a few days, when the cards are running bad - it's like therapy.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Taking a break to re evaluate your game would not be a bad idea. Many time when I am dunning bad i find out it was my play that was the issue.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
taking a break is a good idea if you need a mental break from the game, as well as time to evaluate your gameplay and decision making. however, a break is not what stops a bad streak, is playing. bad runs don't affect my game because i know it's all variance and probability in the long run.

lets take rolling dice, for example. lets say want to roll a 6 and, out of 100 tries, you don't. it's frustrating, but how do you eventually hit that 6? you keep rolling the dice. taking a break is fine because maybe you're just frustrated, but it doesn't do anything to affect the probable outcome of rolling a 6. it's still 1/6 if you continue rolling again immediately or after a 15 minute break.

the same goes with poker. lets say you're getting it in as a 60% favorite or better, but you're on the bad end of variance. taking a break could help your mental game and help make sure you're making +ev decisions and not being affect by your bad run, but it doesn't help with the probability of your hand winning in the long term.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I see it the exact opposite. When running bad, the only thing to help is volume of games. The more games you play, the more hands you get to play, the more opportunities you get to shed the run bad and go on a heater.

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see it the exact opposite. When running bad, the only thing to help is volume of games. The more games you play, the more hands you get to play, the more opportunities you get to shed the run bad and go on a heater.

fully agree with this post, you gotta keep putting in volume and concentrate on making the correct decisions!

C

casique31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are doing it wrong and that somehow affects your self-esteem, I will tell you my point of view, which is surely not the absolute truth but perhaps you can draw some conclusions. The more you play, the more you will lose, be it for money or freeroll, you will feel terrible because you are moving away from what you think you can achieve. But there is something positive in all this is the sum of experience, it is preparing for an activity in which the winners are always few and in many cases only the best. and that is the point to become the best you have to go through this whole process

bra01

bra01

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with your point of view. I often take a break for a day or two to adjust when I'm not lucky.

Raphael Zabel

Raphael Zabel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whenever I'm making bad decisions I try to disconnect a little, try to do other things I like and when I'm less worried about the outcome I go back to playing.

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a plan that will never fail you, when it goes wrong I do not stop at all, just under the speed and pay almost enough and little by little it improves as the days go by.
in bad days you also learn.

Sulfuros001

Sulfuros001

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Running bad?

What i do the most, especially on tourneys, i sit out a few hands, like 2 big blinds, i go drink something fresh, i came back with better energy and i make up what i lost.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

if when you have a bad streak it is to play less or stop playing for a couple of hours .. and then resume with a colder head !!!

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Leaving the game during a losing streak is of course a great art! But this should not be abused, otherwise he will never learn to play!

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As an option you can try to choose another poker room to play or try to play couple of freerolls, right now there are lots of different freerolls in rooms and you can take some money for free, if you don,t feel alright to play higher limits on your own money.
Anyway if you want to take a break, that,s also is an option. Sometimes you need to have a rest from the game, just because sometimes in online poker soft can kills you many times and you just need to have a break from the game for some times.
I prefer to play freerolls in this time if i want to play poker , but also you do some other things.

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If cash tables, perhaps just switch to another table within your limits. That way you get to keep playing, keep volume up to give you chances to win. However, if you are starting (or flat out feeling) to feel frustrated/angry/in any way tilty, for sure, take a break. Just go do some Honeydew chores, mow the lawn, build something in the shop, watch a sitcom, hell, bang the wife/husband/partner if they're down! Just do something to get you out of that mindset. If it was just a cool table or a run of bad luck, you should be right back into gaining ground. If not, like others have said, take a look at your play and make sure you're not making mistakes!

Last edited:
GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I start running bad, I just play Freerolls for a while :). I also just try to balance my live with other things too such as a nice long walk, a bike ride, enjoying the outdoors, gardening, cooking, computer games etc….so when things are a bit rough in poker, I ease back a bit (I don’t stop though) and I just switch to something else for a while. I might switch for an hour, a day, a week who knows :)

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I'm running bad, but making good reads and have focus, I'll play on. Making mistakes, playing loose or just not enthused or reason to cut a session short.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I have to slow down when running bad. I admire players that can mostly play unaffected by bad streaks. Be interesting how one can have that mind set.

In general, no poker player can win first place daily in a slow or turbo tournament with more than 100 players, and if he is a professional poker player, he can always pass to the winning seats. Yes, sometimes we don't get a good hand and sometimes even the strong hands lose, that's why my friend we have to learn poker strategies and how to read the opponents' movement "body language" as well as the bluff skill

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you totaling -- I always slow my play when I am running bad . . . It took major losses before I realized to stop playing until it passed.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I take playing poker as a great pastime that always gives me pleasure. I play for the sake of the game itself, so I'm always happy with my results. The main thing for me is the right decisions and a disciplined game.

P

plusssev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not sure you shoid play less, i would take a little pause, but after keep playing in normal mode.

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I might be defective but I'm never more engaged in poker than when I'm running horribly. I don't know exactly why, but losing gets my attention a lot harder than winning.

I say put in the hours and grind through it!

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I don't mistakes in play, I can relax and continue. But if I feel signs of tilt I prefere to break and do something another.