Is NL 2-7 Single Draw the best non-Holdem variant?

ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Obviously a subjective question but I got to play this variant in a live Dealer's Choice (9-game) mtt yesterday. It was the only game I had never played a hand of before, but it very quickly became my all-time favorite variant. The level of thought and situational awareness that goes into this game is unlike any other poker game in my experience. To be frank, I'm in love...lol

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have never played NL 5 card draw live but there are so many mental games you can play with people by what you pull so I think that's more fun.

NL 2-7 is really . . . it is what it is, lol.

Usually if they don't pull its a 10 or 9 and someone is drawing then its to an 9 or lower so, eh, it ok.

But if you can find 5 card draw players that can play a little and not beginners then that's more fun but I don't mind nl 2-7.

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many old school players would say it is . But i like 5 card draw high , antes with no blinds , check and raise pre flop and post . redeal if the hand gets passed out , then you have a double ante . Since card rooms went to drop rake instead of time based rake in the 80's that game was phased out sadly .

5TR8 FLUSH

5TR8 FLUSH

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like play 2-7 single draw. One of my favorite mix games along with STUD and RAZZ. Really enjoy playing HORSE, but not the biggest fan of limit hold em.

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know how to play 2-7 draw, I don't understand it, I've never played it, and I don't think I'll ever play it.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I like razz , second best after NLH . But there are no games of razz at the limits that I play . Especially low buy in tourneys for razz I cannot find . Not that I am good at razz, but I just like it

2-7 single draw is not bad for me , but I like razz more

Falai_san

Falai_san

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Have never played NL 5 card draw
I don't know how to play the game.

ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
No, ... just No
I'll go on a limb and guess that you don't play mixed games and/or have not played 2-7 NL single draw 🤷‍♂️
I like razz , second best after NLH . But there are no games of razz at the limits that I play . Especially low buy in tourneys for razz I cannot find . Not that I am good at razz, but I just like it

2-7 single draw is not bad for me , but I like razz more
Razz is awesome too. I recently played a live Razz mtt and everyone had blast.
I like more Badugi
Badugi is super fun but I have never been able to find a game other than PS play money unfortunately

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I'll go on a limb and guess that you don't play mixed games and/or have not played 2-7 NL single draw 🤷‍♂️

Razz is awesome too. I recently played a live Razz mtt and everyone had blast.

Badugi is super fun but I have never been able to find a game other than PS play money unfortunately
I hope you're not too far out on that limb😎....... I play everything mainly pl08, stud8, HORSE, Badugi, Razz, 27 single or triple draw just happens to be last on the list of games I would willingly play again👍

ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I hope you're not too far out on that limb😎....... I play everything mainly pl08, stud8, HORSE, Badugi, Razz, 27 single or triple draw just happens to be last on the list of games I would willingly play again👍
No disrespect meant at all. I'm a big fan of PLO8, Razz and Badugi as well though I've never been able to find a Badugi game. I learned that they actually played 2-7 in the wsop Main event before 1972 when they decided to change it to NLH only. The Dealers Choice live mtt I played last weekend it was picked more than anything by a longshot. Everyone loved it. I can see how it would be a lot less fun to play this variant online though.

I do agree that triple draw 2-7 wasn't my cup of tea. Got dealt a 'pat 8' two hands in a row from the first deal. Usually strong and you're not gonna break a 8 almost ever in this game. But with 3 draws to come the second someone else pats, you're stuck in a check/call or possibly even check/fold situation. That's not fun imo.

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules