To the newbie OH player: Playing Sets

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is more a reminder to myself than an info post, as i just took a few bad beats with em
and yes, i'm pretty much a noob too, so feel free to correct me if i'm wrong - I'm just posting what I've read elsewhere and what i feel is right through my experience

In holdem, obviously a set is a huge hand
In Omaha however, this is only a monster if it improves to a boat or quads because usually someone has made some kind of straight or flush if either is possible

I think the proper way of playing them, as opposed to a made hand like you would in holdem, is to play them as a draw ( aswell be careful of a bigger set, as it is not uncommon to have one hit at the same time as yours )
so don't bet into this hand, call if the pot's multiway, or if your short-handed, maybe a raise would be a better option, conditional to a safer flop.
Playing it as a draw will also disguise your hand to the fellow newbie OH player and you can probably extract more chips that way

ex
your hand: QQTK

flop: Q5J

outs: the case Queen, three 5s and three Js would improve your hand to a made hand
so 7 outs
then again here you also have a straight draw, so there would be more outs and more reason to call

any input/criticism is welcome

Last edited:
Osmann

Osmann

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all we need to get info on the suits on the flop, because that's really important in omaha.

Second I don't think you should play this hand as a drawing hand at all!!!!
You need to eliminate as many people as possible and you do that by betting HARD. I can't go into big details right now cause I'm in a hurry, but you probably have the best hand and the hand with the highest potential. So you need to make other players pay to chase their draws. If you bet it hard the only hands that may have odds to chase are 10, K, A, x ; 9, 10 K, x and 9, 10, K, A. Often you will get people with weaker draws to call you, so you need to make them pay.

Edit: Whoa I just looked at you hand again.. And you also have a nut straight draws, wich makes you hand a lot better. Now you are not so vulnerable against straight draws, so why wouldn't you bet it??? You are playing a made hand with great drawing possibilities.

Last edited:
ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow i must have been high...
this example was a bad one...i meant to have one where there are no other outs available to you
like JJ25 (for whatever reason you are playing this hand) with a flop of J9T

Osmann

Osmann

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then you are playing a drawing hand (ofcourse) cause there are allready a straight out there. So you have to consider your potodds, if you are going to call a bet.