New Poker Variation

rujo74

rujo74

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought up a poker variation the other night, hoping to get some feedback. I've been getting into 2-7 triple-draw, but get lotta crap when I call it at our Wednesday night poker game, especially from RiverNoHelp who likes to play Omaha H/L. My variation combines the two games, somewhat.

Players will be dealt 4 hole cards (as in Omaha), and five community cards will be dealt (as in Hold'em), with bettings rounds before the Flop (1st 3 community cards), after the flop, after the Turn (4th community card), and after the River (5th community card).

Players must use at least 2 (which means 2, 3 or 4) of their hole cards along with (3, 2 or 1) community cards to form their best 5-card 2-7 loball hand; where Ace is always high, and straights and flushes count against you. So, as in 2-7 loball, the best hand is 2-3-4-5-7, then 2-3-4-6-7, etc.

Haven't really thought how this might play out, or even dealt any cards; just thought it sounded cool. I would call it "Joe'Maha 2-7".

Then today, I thought of a variation to that. Same layout as above, except there will be an option for a high hand, calculated as follows. Depending on how many cards are used by a player to form his best 2-7 loball hand, the remaining hole cards (which have not yet been used) MUST be played with the board to form the best high poker hand. If you use all 4 hole cards to form the the best 2-7 hand, then you will use 0 hole cards (basically the board) to form your best high hand. The low hand is always determined first, then the high. This would be called "Joe'Maha 2-7 L/H", or similar.

Here's an example. You are dealt hole cards: As Ad 2s 3d (a pretty good Omaha H/L hand). Then the board is: [7h 5s 6s Ac 4s]. First, the 2-7 loball hand is determined; you will use 2 hole cards, and your low hand will be the nuts 7-5-4-3-2. Then, the high poker hand is determined; since you used 2 hole cards (2s 3d) for the low, the remaining unused hole cards (As Ad) must be played with the board to make at best three Aces with 7-6 kicker. You may not use the your 2s 3d for a straight 2-3-4-5-6, because you have already used them for the low hand; also you may not use As 2s for a spade flush, because you have already used the 2s.

Ok, thanks for reading. Will call it at our next Wednesday night game though. Might be fun.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure you'll get much more than a limited following, tbh. I think the rules sound interesting, though may be a tad complex to start off with. I'm actually going to deal this up with the family over the weekend as an experiment just to see. The tough part is keeping the used cards sorted.

So, if I use three hole cards and lose the low hand, do I get just the one remaining card for the high hand? Do I have to play the low to be able to play the high? What about a qualifier like in O8?

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting. Has some elements of Chinese Poker since you are using each card once for different hands.

rujo74

rujo74

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cool. Well I'm interested to see how it plays out. To answer Jack Daniels, yes if you use 3 for the low, then you will only have 1 (whichever was not used) for the high. At showdown, the best low hand for each player will be determined FIRST; this will determine how many hole cards the player will use for the high. So, yes you are forced to make a low first, then whatever is left will go towards a high. I guess I'm trying to emphasize the low end of the game instead, and any high would be a bonus (half-pot if lucky). Not sure what you mean by qualifier, but we'll see how it works out tonight.

Ah and yeah it does kinda remind me of Chinese Poker!

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
toss in a baseball, and you got a weeener.....