New Jersey bill passed today re: online poker

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This doesnt seem to be good for any of us living in the US. I still hope to one day be able to deposit and play on sites without restriction as the rest of the world does. To me this is just another way the lawmakers are trying to get people who are in the US. First it was prohibition against alcohol and now this...I will never fully understand the thought process of lawmakers, to me it seems like they are just trying to find a way to get people to do what they want.... thats not part of being "free" in my eyes.

+1

Preach!

JasonD1014

JasonD1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope it passes, that would be great. Especially since I plan on moving back to New Jersey this year :)

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that we should be able to play online for real money if we so choose. It is our money, so we should be able to do with it what we want... without all this BS from the gov't. I'm glad I don't live in Washington state, and looking like NJ also here shortly.

Does Washington have any online poker rooms for residents, or has it just become illegal all around?

I live in Virginia. We had about 100 diffrent poker lounges here that were affiliated with several diffrent charitys but now they are all closed because of the governor. Makes me want to move to vegas or ac. Hope this doesn't last for long. How long was the prohibition? Seems like we should be out rallying or something. Free Poker Joe!!

I live in Virginia also, but never really find anything about VA and online poker being talked about. When were there about 100 poker lounges here? I remember the ones in Portsmouth, ie.. Victory Poker Lounge, The Poker Palace, Skillz and 1 or 2 others, but Portsmouth District Attorney decided to change his stance on the luck vs skill factor without making a comment about it, which in turn made poker a form of gambling again in Portsmouth..therefore all the charity poker rooms had to close. I thought that was the only city that ever had Charity Poker rooms, or any legal poker room in VA, and thought there were only a handful of them?

C

chip06

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone know the definition to gambling the goverment is using? Its okay for all of us to play the lottery thats paying $1 for a ticket with 6 diff numbers on it for a CHANCE to win millions.If you win then you have to pay a GAMBLING TAX on your winnings most states is atleast 30% isnt that gambling Okay every friday and saturday night in every state in the US you have countless numbers of senior citizens in a bingo hall buying up cards for a Chance to win money and you look close enough at the books you will find the bingo halls are getting a rake off them cards is that gambling no skill required in either game. Poker you have people who buy into tourneys or play ring games for a chance to win money as well BUT using stragtic play figuring up there hand and pot odds reading other players making decisions on there starting hands and betting which does take aot of skill pratice and time to learn and play the game effectivley. Our goverment has its piroities so backwards its unreal since there is a gambling tax except on bingo seems like as far in debt as this country is they would do what they could to gain more revenue.Maybe we all need to get together write 300 letters well write just one print off 300 copies and flood our congressmen and womens offices with letters and do it every month maybe they will get tired of reciving a few million letters every month and finally take a smart action But thats just a idea im open for suggestions

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
maybe there is some hope,,,but here in Texas our dumb azz governer has said he would veto any kind of live or online gambling.

P

playerk7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey man people dont like gambling, but they cant stop it just like they couldnt stop prohibition, itll always be around so dont worry. theyre will always be a game.

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like they think their citizens are poor players and all the money will be flowing out of state and out of the country to the better players across the oceans.

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late last year they banned on line poker here in Washinigton state classifing it as a class c felony. Some site that I go to have sent me email saying "sorry but you are not allowed here for real money because of the Washington state law". Other sites have not caught up yet but I amsure they will soon. Good luck there where you are at.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone know the definition to gambling the goverment is using? Its okay for all of us to play the lottery thats paying $1 for a ticket with 6 diff numbers on it for a CHANCE to win millions.If you win then you have to pay a GAMBLING TAX on your winnings most states is atleast 30% isnt that gambling

There is no specific gambling tax on lottery winnings. Lottery winnings are taxed at the normal federal and state INCOME tax rates. The highest federal tax bracket is 35% and depending on the state it could be additional 0-8%.

People freak out about it all the time, but trust me, all of us would love to have the "problem" of paying 40% in taxes on a $200 Million Powerball or Mega Millions jackpot win.

If you can't live off of $120 Million after taxes, there is something wrong with you. :D

B

brickmason13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Texas doesnt have a chance dont really understand all the why thou we are broke in Austin............

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you guys think will happen?

Will Full tilt/pokerstars keep us?

If not will they seize our account balances and how many players do you think the new New Jersey site would have?