New book

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...from PS's FPP store.

I've just ordered SSH and Stox poker's book to help with my FLHE game, but I'm looking for one more. I've got the HoH series and the book of bluffs...any suggestions?

I'm eyeing Lee Jones' book, Sklansky's ToP, Holdem for Advanced Players,
NLHE TaP, The Psychology of Poker, Ace on the River, and Bill Chen's 'the Mathematics behind Poker'.

I'm working on expanding my FLHE game, but I've already got two books in the mail for that. Not quite sure what I'm looking for; just something to blow my FPPs on and exercise my poker brain with, really :)

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks AG, but I was talking about books in the FPP store, though I'll take a peek at those titles too.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of those available in FPP, Hilger's Odds and Probabilities is easily the best choice. A much better "math" book than Chen's unreadable tomb...

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of those available in FPP, Hilger's Odds and Probabilities is easily the best choice. A much better "math" book than Chen's unreadable tomb...
I'm reading that one right now, AG. It's been a tough read for me so far. There's a few formulas Hilger spits out that he only vaguely explains and his review hands are mostly either too simple or too complex. I consider myself pretty math-savvy, but I'm getting soooo bored with this book. Do you have any suggestions to help in the uptake of this bugger, AG?

(Chuck, wait to see what AG says before you order the book.)

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have an engineering degree and find Chen's book too difficult to want to read. I understand it, but it's no fun read like Ace on the River.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well Chen's book doesn't sound too enticing...

What's Greenstein's book like?

I've heard good things, but also that it's not a strategy book...

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
little strategy, more anecdotal/biographical/philosophical... A MUST OWN!

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fwiw I picked up SSH, Stox's book and Barry's book. Boy is that one shnazzy.

About halfway through SSH ATM and it's all goldddddd. I love gollldddddd.

austin3_11137F.jpg

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Just answered your own question, it's not going to make your game much better, but it's a great read about his start and it does give advice (some of which I didn't like, for example playing a game you can't exactly afford if you think it's soft and you can beat it). It shares how he made it to the top but also covers a lot of general strategy. I literally stayed up all night to finish it the night I bought it, I just couldn't put it down. But as mentioned, it doesn't talk much strategy.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
(some of which I didn't like, for example playing a game you can't exactly afford if you think it's soft and you can beat it)

Well I haven't read it yet, but I would completely agree with what you say he advises. Variance can crush any edge you have at the drop of a dime; hence why proper bankroll management is probably the number one factor to winning poker.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You've heard correct. It's a fascinating read, but very little of it's about the strategy of actually playing poker - instead, it's more a guide to the poker lifestyle: how to mix playing poker with a family life, mixing poker with other kinds of gambling, how not to be a douchebag at the table, so on and so forth.

There's even a chapter titled "Poker and Your Sexuality" :smile:

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I haven't read it yet, but I would completely agree with what you say he advises. Variance can crush any edge you have at the drop of a dime; hence why proper bankroll management is probably the number one factor to winning poker.

This actually brings up a very interesting point that I've thought a lot about in gambling in general. Basically the key to being consistent in winning is to take a lot of low-stakes (compared to your BR) bets where you have an edge (usually not a huge edge). Within a poker game, most people would go all-in with a 60% edge (cash game, not tournament, for the sake of simplicity). But this assumes you can afford to lose it. Would you put your life savings on the line to a 60% coin flip? Most people would say no. 70%? 80%? 90%? 99%? 99.999%? Is there ever a point where you'd say yes? I'd feel comfortable with the 99.999%, although I probably wouldn't even put it on the line with a 99% edge. Others would. I've thought about how to quantify that, and it's tough. I would probably put $1,000 on the line for 99%. And I'm just a college kid without a job (during school, I work summers), so that represents a little under half of my entire net worth.

The calculations are so easy when you're playing within your means, and I'm sure if you thought you were a 90% favorite to win you'd play in a $5/10 game (ok, I'm not sure, just guessing). The problem in poker is that there's never that much of an edge. If I played a poker professional I could play in such a manner that their edge was less than 90%. And most of the time your edge will be more like 55-60%. So I agree with you, but I just remember watching deal or no deal and thinking that even though the +ev decision was to say no deal, I'd take the $300,000 rather than the 50/50 for a million or a penny. As I mentioned, I'm giving up $200,000 in ev, but I only get to do it one time. If I got to choose a thousand times, I'd pick no deal, but when I get one shot, and if I lose I lose $300,000, I'll take the money. Similar concept.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ive seen Barry's book on the shelves when i bought Negreanu's but didn't buy it i guess ill check it out now that i've heard good things!

DINGO8MYBABY

DINGO8MYBABY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently read Sammy Farha's Omaha book, which gets my highest recommendation. It should be for Omaha what Harrington was for Holdem.