Multi Tabling

J

jamesdenson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what the hell is the secret i can not win when trying more than 2 tables at a time when i play 4 i lose 2 then usually place or win one of the other 2 if not both anyone got any tips that might help i have no clue what im doing

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dam another thread on multi tabling!!!!

anyways the secret is your win rate will go down...but your overall profit should go up...because of variance. split your screen into 4ths imo...depending on how many tables you want to play...personally i only play 2 tables ....well on cash....tournies ill do 3 or 4

J

jamesdenson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea i see these people posting on playing 10 12 tables and more i dont see how they do it and make a profit guess i just suck cant seem to make a profit on more than 3 tables. but not gonna give up ima go join about 8 thirty cent sit and gos and see how i do in those. lol probally lose 6 but good practice i guess

B

BC7Falcons7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
multi tabling

I was recently trying to multitable at fulltilt. I was playing in $3/6 blinds in a ring game and also a satellite tourney. I found it very hard to concentrate on both especially because that ring game was high stakes for me ($180). Anyways I ended up not doing well in either. From now on anytime I'm playing in a high stakes ring game or tourney I definatley will not multi table!

Surf Rat

Surf Rat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the secret is ........... you can't win 'em all ..... but haveing a winning percentage or "cashes" overall makes for profitabillity.....you just need to find your comfort zone of how many games you can play in and keep your concentration , tracking whats going on at each table and who's doing it. single table SnG's are easier to keep track of the other players than MTT's cause it won't be moveing you from table to table as the number of players is reduced.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A few thoughts:

- It's a lot easier to do in cash games than it is SnGs, because cash games don't have bubbles and they require a lot of concentration.

- It's a lot easier if you have a HUD keeping stats on the players. You can't really be making meaningful reads on people without one when you're playing 4+ tables, because you'll be too concerned with juggling your own actions to watch your opponents closely.

- If you are multi-tabling SnGs, at least stagger the start times so that you're less likely to be playing two bubbles at the same time.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what the hell is the secret i can not win when trying more than 2 tables at a time when i play 4 i lose 2 then usually place or win one of the other 2 if not both anyone got any tips that might help i have no clue what im doing
One word: Practice.

I used to have trouble handling 4 tables, so I played 3 for a long time. Then I just worked my way up and now I'm doing 11-12 with ease. Took me over 2 years to get from 3 to 12 with confidence, but it was worth it.

Oh yeah... and a big monitor helps, too. I actually run 2 monitors. I just got a 24" to add to my 20". I like to tile my tables rather than cascading or overlapping.

W

wona2009wsopseat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Put up 4 Tables. The goal is to at least break even. Which means winning 1 table, or getting 2nd + 3rd, or 3rd 3 times (btw, if you do manage to get 3rd 3 times out of 4 screens, you are doing something wrong after the bubble pops). Anything after those placings is your profit. As the OP says, they'll lose 2 tables but if you win 1 table and get a top 3 in another table while losing the other two, you still come out a winner.

D

DEdwardsNJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One word: Practice.

Exactly, it takes a long time to get comfortable. I played 4 tables for a long time before jumping to 8 and then eventually 12 and finally maximg out at 16 on full tilt. Any more than 12 and you probably want to be using some additional software or auto hotkey scripts though.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
- It's a lot easier to do in cash games than it is SnGs, because cash games don't have bubbles and they require a lot of concentration.

Wat?

SNG bubble is strictly proper push/folding. It's not really rocket science. Certainly does not require that much concentration. If you have a proper HUD to display stack sizes in terms of M multiples, it's pretty easy to take decisions instantaneously.

sharkyo01

sharkyo01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can easily do 4 to 6 tourements in one go. But after i get my screen set up right it's easy. It takes a lot of pratice but i started with doing 2 and build up from but cash games are easier to do then tournements

O

OneMoreBust

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to do 6 SNG's. Some thoughts.

You won't be able to find the best spots to steal on all tables at once, especially as you approach the bubble.

Space them out so that you dont end up 3-4 handed on all of them at once.

Play tight, small ball poker and dont do anything stupid before the bubble.

You won't get nearly as many reads, but keep playing solid poker and you should get somewhere.

I lost my stats, but I was somewhere around 60% in the money when I played 6 tables at once, but my first and second place finishes dropped compared to 1-2 tables where I was in the money about the same percentage, but more first and second place finishes.

If you are the type of player that gets bored and makes stupid moves because of it, multi-tabling can help eliminate some of those as you dont have time to get bored :p

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

I think you've answered your own question here in your thread....

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Put up 4 Tables. The goal is to at least break even.

With SNG's.. the more tables we play... the more our ROI will drop. I believe what we want to do is maximize a hourly rate (but again.. it depends.. maybe we just want to work on our game and just get better?.. or maybe we just wanna play one game but want to try to win every time?)
I don't think our goal is ever to 'at least break even'??

tgarner

tgarner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do my best playing 2 to 4 tables, but no more. If I play one table I get bored and start doing stupid stuff. Or I start reading the CC forums and not paying attention to the game at all(usually during morning coffee).

If I play 2 to 4 I can still pay good attention to each table to get my reads and it keeps me from getting bored. But unfortuantely I can't do more than four and get good information from each table.

Now if I am just horseing around and not really wanting to take it that serious at the time, I may just play one table and chat with some of the players at the table. That can be enjoyable and relaxing for me at times, especially if you run into someone that's fun to b.s. with.

G

Grindit9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could use software like hold em manager or pokertracker. Then you have to pay less attention and you can play more tables.

J

jamesdenson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea i tried a tracker with the hud really liked it but it made my comp run slow when trying to run it on more than 2 tables at a time but now im up to 4 tables and playing pretty good tried 8 found myself sitting out on 1 every now and then not sure y it didnt pop to the front but i think i need a bigger monitor mine is just a 19 but ty everyone for your advice.

tgarner

tgarner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could use software like hold em manager or pokertracker. Then you have to pay less attention and you can play more tables.

I don't completly dissagree.

BUT, you still don't get your timing tells or even your bet size tells with that. But it is useful information.

C

CashinJen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know

I have no idea how these guys play 10 or 15 tables at a time. I usually have trouble with more than 2 but i guess if you practice you could gradually move up to more and more

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wat?

SNG bubble is strictly proper push/folding. It's not really rocket science. Certainly does not require that much concentration. If you have a proper HUD to display stack sizes in terms of M multiples, it's pretty easy to take decisions instantaneously.

Which tracker do you use to display M multiples?

G

Grinderinoz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the idea of staggering your start times in SNG's.

I've had the situation near bubble times where you have 4 tables open at once and it gets pretty frantic, even with push/fold stratergy.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With SNG's.. the more tables we play... the more our ROI will drop. I believe what we want to do is maximize a hourly rate (but again.. it depends.. maybe we just want to work on our game and just get better?.. or maybe we just wanna play one game but want to try to win every time?)
I don't think our goal is ever to 'at least break even'??
My understanding is that as long as you can break even then you can work on accumulating other benefits, such as VPPs or rakeback, or clearing bonuses.

tsabbat

tsabbat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well if you playing sng then its never quite easy to win every tournament... it never is but if you playing cash games then it might be a little easier i would say as soon as you triple or double your money, u cash out and start back on another table

I

i aint assd

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sngs

i normally play 6-7 SnGs at once, but last night i tried 10

NIGHTMARE, as in 8 of them i got to final 4, so obviously i couldnt play my A game, and i really struggled, but obviously still made a big profit in that sessions.

M

MichiganKuz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
<snipped>

Play tight, small ball poker and dont do anything stupid before the bubble.
<snipped>
If you are the type of player that gets bored and makes stupid moves because of it, multi-tabling can help eliminate some of those as you dont have time to get bored :p

One of my biggest challenges spelled out exactly... stupid lack of discipline. :mad:

Good points, OMBust