Mindset

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be sure, that you're making +EV play. Then when you're lose, there would be no problem to solve and you can simply go on, tilt will fade away without a supply.
If you keep losing and you can't understand why - that's a problem, the source of tilt that will bother you untill you get rid of it. Just calming down by whatever methods won't plug the source of tilt.
So, the key - understanding.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How can I look to implement a winning or positive mindset? I would consider myself a capable player who regularly runs deep in tourneys but am yet to transition that into regular wins. I won only 6 tourneys last year out of around 40 final tables and countless top 20s
I was talking to a friend who suggested I need to stop getting so hung up about bad beats and learn to move past them

I study quite a lot but do feel I need to work on the more mental side of the game and I'm a ultra competitive person but also a terrible loser how can I overcome this to improve my game and get more wins ?
You have already given the answer. Work your emotional on the losses. Study the game to better understand the bads.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hmmm, really not sure why you are expressing frustration at all.

You study the game, so you surely grasp by any metric you are doing exceptionally well. I could understand if someone was complaining about never making final tables let alone winning - but the your story is pretty much the exact opposite.

You can argue 'cashing' takes skill, as does the making the final table but winning after getting to the FT is often little more than a coin flip.

That is precisely why someone like Phil Helmuth stands alone with 'only' 15 bracelets at the wsop after playing countless WSOP tourneys over 30 years.

I'd attempt to work on a realistic perspective which appreciates the wins and final tables! Similarly to Luvepoker, I try to set reasonable goals. My main focus is on cashes and then after the cashes I have an expectation to make 'x' amount of final tables. If I maintain that figure I am happy. Though I strive for the win (don't we all?) I never expect it or feel entitled to it.

Last edited:
Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How can I look to implement a winning or positive mindset? I would consider myself a capable player who regularly runs deep in tourneys but am yet to transition that into regular wins. I won only 6 tourneys last year out of around 40 final tables and countless top 20s
I was talking to a friend who suggested I need to stop getting so hung up about bad beats and learn to move past them

I study quite a lot but do feel I need to work on the more mental side of the game and I'm a ultra competitive person but also a terrible loser how can I overcome this to improve my game and get more wins ?

Probably by realizing just how often you are likely to lose; even if you are a successful player. Compare ROI% for the best players and you'll notice they lose a lot and especially so if they play MTT events with greater variance. There is no way really around losing by variance, but you can learn to not let it get you down as much. Either that, or go to more consistent (although still at the mercy of variance to some degree) cash games or other formats.

Personally, bad beats don't bother me as much as when I know I myself was responsible for misplaying it. As a poker player, it is about risk management and influencing things under our control; the "luck of the cards" (variance) is simply one thing we are not in control of, so don't let it get to you. Instead, place more emphasis on things you can influence (study habits, play-style, betting patterns and so on) :)

Valera979

Valera979

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many factors here! You need to be hungry to play poker, Eager to win!!! When there is such a desire,appetite, then you will definitely win often! )

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Hello, you play very well judging by the results that you wrote, just continue to work even harder on the game and try to ignore your failures, since it is impossible to win each tournament! If you thought well and played the handout correctly but lost then I think that you should not worry, it often happens that opponents get with the worst hand and you are moved! Don't dwell on it! I think that you also move someone quite often when you have the worst hand, but just do not pay attention to it and think that it should be! I want to wish you only patience and good luck!