Mindset

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How can I look to implement a winning or positive mindset? I would consider myself a capable player who regularly runs deep in tourneys but am yet to transition that into regular wins. I won only 6 tourneys last year out of around 40 final tables and countless top 20s
I was talking to a friend who suggested I need to stop getting so hung up about bad beats and learn to move past them

I study quite a lot but do feel I need to work on the more mental side of the game and I'm a ultra competitive person but also a terrible loser how can I overcome this to improve my game and get more wins ?

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to put your emotions aside and consider why they lead to suboptimal thinking. By paying proper attention to these things on a regular basis, you can free yourself from this habitual flawed thought process and gain more control over your mind.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Focusing on negative thoughts and achievements will attract thoughts of defeat as in the post I advise you to always try to focus on something that you will never lose and your achievements and why and how you have achieved. What he did and how he behaved to conquer them I know it is difficult because life changes pass and we have another state of mind every day but we have to try to renew our state of mind to win hands.
# Drink lots of water

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I can recommend you a wonderful book in which you can find answers to your questions. At least this book really helped me.
Jared Tendler - The Mental Game of Poker.

T

Tony0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe play more small field / STT so the final stages feel more familiar.

If you know you played your hands the best possible, it is easier to accept when it does not go your way.

It is sadder to suspect you did not play as good as you could have.

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How can I look to implement a winning or positive mindset? I would consider myself a capable player who regularly runs deep in tourneys but am yet to transition that into regular wins. I won only 6 tourneys last year out of around 40 final tables and countless top 20s
I was talking to a friend who suggested I need to stop getting so hung up about bad beats and learn to move past them

I study quite a lot but do feel I need to work on the more mental side of the game and I'm a ultra competitive person but also a terrible loser how can I overcome this to improve my game and get more wins ?
I think your performance is reasonably good and there is a potential that you might go on top one day.

Positive mindset, that is what we always talk about. But did you realized that it is due to negative mindset that positive mindset came into existence? Everything, no matter how good it is, there are always merits and demerits. What you have to do is increase your positive side as much as you can and decrease the negative impact to minimum. No player can win all the tournaments all the time.
My suggestion is for positive mindset, try to see all the things from positive angel. Even try to find positive things in apparently negative things. Negative side may have a positive point.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Concentrate on winning and ignore failures, think more before any action, be in harmony with making the right decision.

A

azgeda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Variance is not always in our favor. Loosing is a part of the process.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I say you get excited when you're at the final table, you put too much pressure on yourself in those moments, try to play the way you played during the tournament without thinking you're at the final table!

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Philosophy

Study philosophy.

You will learn the art of living, which will also DRASTICALLY improve your poker game.

I recommend philosophy all the time, but very few take my recommendation seriously.

I hope you take this suggestion because the unexamined life is one not worth living. What makes a good philosopher, makes an unbeatable poker player. ;)

P.S. Start with Stoicism and see where it takes you. You can contact me with any questions.

P

pokerdebit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be patient
And not to tilt
Know your odds and possiblities
Eventhough odds dont matter at pokerstars, lol

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Sounds like sometimes you're struggling to tell the wood from the trees and may get things out of perspective...

Most decent poker strategy books have sections on the mental aspect as it's absolutely crucial for anyone playing poker for more than entertainment purposes (and in different ways recreationally too).

There are helpful ways to frame our thinking and also unhelpful ways too.

You can find (or create) all sorts of visualisations and exercises to assist with maintaining a positive mindframe.

Also, learn to remove your ego from the equation. Try to check it in at the door/lobby before sitting down at the felt, you can pick it back up on your way out. :)

More likely than not, ego will be a dominant factor when you find yourself being a 'bad loser'.

Find me to be counted amongst the Philosophy camp with Jordan et Al... :biggrin:

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, everything is simple!If you are a good player, then you only need luck and there is nothing to do in poker without it, so catch it as you can)!

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sounds like sometimes you're struggling to tell the wood from the trees and may get things out of perspective...

Most decent poker strategy books have sections on the mental aspect as it's absolutely crucial for anyone playing poker for more than entertainment purposes (and in different ways recreationally too).

There are helpful ways to frame our thinking and also unhelpful ways too.

You can find (or create) all sorts of visualisations and exercises to assist with maintaining a positive mindframe.

Also, learn to remove your ego from the equation. Try to check it in at the door/lobby before sitting down at the felt, you can pick it back up on your way out. :)

More likely than not, ego will be a dominant factor when you find yourself being a 'bad loser'.

Find me to be counted amongst the Philosophy camp with Jordan et Al... :biggrin:

You rock! ;)

Leeyonah96

Leeyonah96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My mindset is not to win. My mindset is to play my strategy and winnings will come along.

I do not think about winning. So I my expectations will not be that high.

Mortis

Mortis

Skeleton Crew
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Avoiding tilt and proper bankroll management will help a lot. Bankroll management also helps avoiding tilt. At least, it has for me. Understand that variance happens.. and your friend is right, try not to get hung up on bad beats. Instead, learn from them.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have very good results. Most people don't even have that. Therefore, you do not need to change anything.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
friend, I suggest more attention and more concentration mainly at the final tables, and a little luck too.

L

Lexand

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I won just 6 tournaments last year in about 40 final tables and countless top 20s.

Winning 6 tournaments in 40 final tables, gives a percentage of 15%, maybe not ideal, but it also can't be bad for the fact that several times we are shorts in final tournaments straights.
And we also have to see what the stack size we got to the final table, if we get a lot of shorts we will have to depend a lot on luck to be able to beat him.
It really isn't easy to win a tournament, it depends on many factors.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it all depends on your self-confidence. If you are generally positive, then you significantly increase your chances of success. Be patient and it will allow you to be positive.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

maintain a game behavior play the levels that you feel good to play according to your stak and have patience !!! in the long run you will go far !!!

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally prefer to go to cash tables
With a dollar speaking of micro-limits you can generate five dollars in a good day.
and from there you can divide and experiment in the other modalities.:D

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

The think that helped be get past that point was no longer caring about the results. If you care about them they will always be on your mind. I dont worry about results but my play. If I go out 1st hand of the tournament or win the question is did I make the correct play? As long as your making correct plays the wins will come.

FYI, only winning 6 tournament does not mean much. There are many factors you should look at. If you playing 2 a day and playing in tournaments with 1000 people you have had an incredible year. If you playing 100 a day with 100 people each you had a really a horrid year. You need to remember winning a tournament is never easy. I have won 3 out of 4 once. Of course they were small tournament with under 50 players. I won almost 2 in a row once. both had over 500 players. What was the better accomplishment. the 2 big ones.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The think that helped be get past that point was no longer caring about the results. If you care about them they will always be on your mind. I dont worry about results but my play. If I go out 1st hand of the tournament or win the question is did I make the correct play? As long as your making correct plays the wins will come.

FYI, only winning 6 tournament does not mean much. There are many factors you should look at. If you playing 2 a day and playing in tournaments with 1000 people you have had an incredible year. If you playing 100 a day with 100 people each you had a really a horrid year. You need to remember winning a tournament is never easy. I have won 3 out of 4 once. Of course they were small tournament with under 50 players. I won almost 2 in a row once. both had over 500 players. What was the better accomplishment. the 2 big ones.

I generally play 4-5 sessions a week with around 4-5 tournaments per session. I have won two this past week I have stopped worrying about bad beats and more focused on making the right moves