Is making a living from poker alone possible?

bstyles85

bstyles85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a good part time job/hobby for me. I am averaging an extra 500-600$ a month from MTTs at the moment.

Would I ever try and play it professional? Absolutely not.

Last edited:
Rackbone

Rackbone

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can consistantly win online you could make a living live.

You need to have 20BI and a liferoll but its possible. So if you wanna eek a living out of 1/2 youd need 4k and then money to fall back on outside of poker, maybe another 10-20k.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a very poisonous structure to put yourself in to play a recreational lucrative hobby as a job/life. The cash games are revenue based/percentages based/ high-frequency rake. On top of that the edge in NLH is like non-existent now a days. The game is extremely stressful if bad variance comes your way it will ruin your mood for life, your income your livelihood and basically your Psyche will be dependent on a game with like no edge and notoriously wicked variance.

If you are a marketable pro it is a good idea but if you are not you have terrible odds to compete against on top of that you have to play self employment tax, gambling income tax bracket etc. expenses. I suspect it is a type of hell more stressful than business stock trading.

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it may be difficult at the beginning, but it is not impossible at all. It must be a good player. Who want to live from this, want to be the best. or vice versa? I think the latter. I think live poker can be simpler due to rich hobby players.

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can get good enough to do the whole crowdfunding staking thing, I'd imagine it gets a lot easier/less stressful. But that's a prohibitively difficult level to reach.

D

don1980

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, just ask the professional poker players.

jhosept6

jhosept6

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is very difficult to live only from poker, I think that for this the person has to have a good heritage, to be a very good player or to have a good sponsor.

I live in venezuela and game nl5 and nl10 and as our currency is very devalued with respect to the dollar pffff I earn about 100 salaries that a regular worker in my country would earn

inflmara

inflmara

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe it is possible just need to study and work at it every day

bablo

bablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many examples of successful cache players and tournament players, but this requires a strong character and willpower to learn and play for hours.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I think it is possible. But you need to work hard every day, learn and improve your skills.
Good luck.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont think so, its only a game, lose some, win some.