The main strategy of the game with AK.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great hand that should be played with caution. You should never marry this hand.

S

sirgobbles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on how many players are in the hand and my position... fewer the players more aggressively ill play the hand

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play AK aggressive if I am the initial aggressor. If there are one or two bets before me I'm usually along for the ride...

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting and useful information. Having such cards, I usually play aggressively and in my opinion this is the best decision. But of course you have to take into account the format of the tournament and your position at the table.

In addition, it is very good to know rivals, and to have information about them, I mean their game

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i have two strategies, or all in, depends on the table or really slow to the end, if i have KK, go all in.

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me it depends on what stage you are at in the tournament early on i would play it aggressively with caution ,middle stage i would be tight aggressive with it ,and late stage depending on stack sizing and what position you are in you should almost play this aggressive even if your against AA and KK

rafikjan

rafikjan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if the small stack is all in. if the chip leader is also all in. If the average stack 3 bet is so much easier

Dusan

Dusan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"to catch a coincidence on the flop" :questionm .............., :aetsch::banghead:

E

eyeluvpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion AK is the most overplayed hand. Some people will ride it all the way to the river calling bets, making raises even when they do not connect. Yes, I would put out a raise pre flop and try to get the pot. However if someone goes over the top unless I have them dominated in chips I will more than likely fold. Post flop easy fold to a large bet if I do not connect. If I connect I will put out a decent bet to see where I am with the hand. Is it worth losing the tournament or all your money in a cash game with A K? Not for me!

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I see AK as anything from fold to all in.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Yes , I agree , you really need to be aggressive with AK , but at the same time carefull , taking into consideration all the factors you can , like raises before you and make the right reraise , position and your stack size etc . Personally , AK in early position is almost always for me bad news , I don't know why , no position , callers after me that might raise me . Only if my stack is low , the decision is easy , yeap , then raise me my friends :):):)

Nelly404

Nelly404

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, I tried several strategies - all in, slow and tight and I always lose with AK :)

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA vs AK
AK ollin AA call
AA win 91.78%

You should think about it before you go to Olline.The stage of games and the stack plays an important role.

How often is this going to happen? Especailly without somesort of warning. (SHove/3-bet/4-bet) What if villain has KK? Then we have around 30% equity. What if Villian has QQ/JJ/TT/99 ? Then we go to nearly 50% equity. What if villain has AQ/AJ/KQ? Then we are completely dominating.

You cant just assume your opponent will have AA or KK everytime you have AK (Actually since we hold an A and a K, we block several combos, making it much less likely) If you 3-bet or open raise with AK and your opponent calls instead of 4-bet/shoving, you can assume, the high majority of the time, he will have something you either completely dominate (Weaker Ace/King) or a Mid-High Pocket pair, which would be a coin flip.

Sure, if you have a solid read on your opponent and you know for sure he has Aces or Kings, go ahead and fold it, but most of the time, this will not be the case.

If you end up playing a reraised pot, stay aggressive. Just because you bricked the flop, doesnt mean your opponent has you beat. Remember hes mostly going to be playing big aces and kings or pocket pairs in this situation, so put out a solid c-bet to know where you stand. Its possible villian thinks you have a big overpair as well.

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday..intriguing thought process on big slick startin hand..i raise almost always then react to table play...thanks darrell

AcooltartA

AcooltartA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously its always situational but the general rule of thumb is to be aggressive with them and then readjust after the flop.

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically, see the flop and continue to bet as needed...

M

mirrornick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always seem to have trouble laying down AK preflop as I get too attached to the hand, even if facing a 3 bet. I would either go all in or make the call to see the flop. I did fold AK preflop few times if two or three guys are all in.

Top 10 Games