Machine or your Brain?

Q

qxcydx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
calculating odds is the poker 101, if you need a machine to do it for you, then you should look for a different sport.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
calculating odds is the poker 101, if you need a machine to do it for you, then you should look for a different sport.

One... Poker isn't a sport.

Two... odds is not the only thing that a machine is used for. The tools that I use calculate every statistic imaginable, and keep up with it on every player in real time, along with study material available at the click of a button. Push/fold charts available in real time.

I get where you are coming from, however if it's available why not use it...

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, I do not use calculating machines, I use my brain as a calculator and count outs, I learned all the combinations and everything necessary for the game and now I play and try to win and count everything in my head!

S

Shooter74

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IA is real....But i still prefer the brain!!

Q

qxcydx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
One... Poker isn't a sport.

Two... odds is not the only thing that a machine is used for. The tools that I use calculate every statistic imaginable, and keep up with it on every player in real time, along with study material available at the click of a button. Push/fold charts available in real time.

I get where you are coming from, however if it's available why not use it...

9.... poker is a sport

twenty five... my brain performs all the processes that your machine does. i get where you are coming from, however if your brain is available, why not use it...

mariuspoker1

mariuspoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm using only my brain and in my opinion is the best option. I don't think those things like odds calculator helped anyone ever; i think it's only purpose it's pure informative.

paulinhlt

paulinhlt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the brain is the best machine :D haha

B

Barbarik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course the brain. Only you decide what to do in a given situation. Yes, machines can simplify some things, but in some cases the use of those same machines is unfair. It is better to do everything yourself, to go through everything yourself.

the brain is the best machine :D haha
Hahaha, it's right. Only brain:icon_king

Last edited by a moderator:
G

guitaRisGood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've considered using one of these but know very little. don't they also track players and provide stats on how they bet/call/raise etc???

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use them as much as possible and try to memorize as many types of situations as possible so that when I play live I have a good idea of where I'm at.

mathtree

mathtree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is that if you need a machine, you are a beginner. The odds change with every part of the hand and they don't mean too much when compared to the betting. The least likely to win will frequently win; bad beats happen every day. An advanced player must use not only his brain, but also his "gut feeling" to win a hand. Play the player first and your cards after that,using your knowledge and intuition and you will be good in the long run.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I've considered using one of these but know very little. don't they also track players and provide stats on how they bet/call/raise etc???

yes they do (which is something many who are responding in this thread seem to be unaware of ... ie. thinking it's only calculating outs & odds, lol)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
9.... poker is a sport

twenty five... my brain performs all the processes that your machine does. i get where you are coming from, however if your brain is available, why not use it...

Can you tell me the VP$IP of all the players on your last table? (how bout the one before that?... & the 10 tables before that?). How often does that player in CO (while you're in BB) fold to a 3bet pre on 50+ bb stacks?

Q

qxcydx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you tell me the VP$IP of all the players on your last table? (how bout the one before that?... & the 10 tables before that?). How often does that player in CO (while you're in BB) fold to a 3bet pre on 50+ bb stacks?

nope, nope and idk+idgaf

all of the trends and tendencies in the world go flying out the window when i shit on the game and force people to make huge decisions for no reason because i play tighter and infinitely more aggressive than them.. ezmoney.:wavey::ciao::wavey::ciao:

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
nope, nope and idk+idgaf

all of the trends and tendencies in the world go flying out the window when i shit on the game and force people to make huge decisions for no reason because i play tighter and infinitely more aggressive than them.. ezmoney.:wavey::ciao::wavey::ciao:

Like a BOSS!

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
During a CC PS tourney when Headache was having a bad game I tried to lighten the mood by saying something along the lines of ...where there is poker there is comedy.

I think I found some comedy here:D

You can play well and you can play poorly..and if you can't tell the difference then a well designed piece of poker software will. Purchasing something like that or using some of the good freeware out there is far less expensive than a single buy-in to a decent game. The second component of this "equation" is investing the time to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the tools you have and test these observations in real games that matter...something out of the "comfort zone."

I'm still playing by the seat of my pants without the use of poker software and I'm still playing the price of stupidity because I sometimes play tired and make less than optimal choices. Before I purchase the software I'm considering I need to learn a few things the hard way because some bad habits die hard.

Last edited:
Mac Poker