Status
Not open for further replies.
S

seventhcereal

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How can it be luck when over half the time the cards are never even shown?

Hello all long time no come on here. Today Abdi and me have talk about luck vs skill.

I think luck is better than skill I tell him because, with luck you win more times than you lose. But he tell me skill is long run in this many hands or months or years and luck is this many times so luck loses to skill but that makes no sense because if I playing a game and I get good hands and lose to luck that means I lose that game, no? So why luck no beat skill, but skill beat luck? And I lose that game playing good hands against a lucky player, so how is that good for me?

My English (writing is not so good), but my speaking much easier for me and understanding.

G

glenn161274

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of skill in the long run, but at any given time anyone can be lucky and go on a run and win a event. But to last along time in poker you need skill and plenty of it.

sandund

sandund

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
online poker is more about luck. While a pair of kings is a beautiful sight, they are often accused of being ace magnets on the flop, or be dominated by pocket aces.

akaRobbo

akaRobbo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not even close. Skill plays a much bigger part.

akaRobbo

akaRobbo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online poker is more about luck. While a pair of kings is a beautiful sight, they are often accused of being ace magnets on the flop, or be dominated by pocket aces.

Nah, you just suck and can't fold strong hands, rigtard.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is nothing more than happy (or unhappy) coinencednce. You are short stacked on the button and shove your QQ. Blinds call with AA and KK. You are "unlucky" in this hand, right? Until you hit a Q on the river and take the pot, so now you are "lucky"? That's what many would say. Hogwash. Using that logic, you are simply always lucky until you are not/always unlucky until you are not.
As for skill; you have QQ on button, are short stacked, but facing two/three all in's before you from larger stacks. You fold - skilled because you know that QQ probably is no good against this much action. But QQ hits the flop, meaning you would have had the nuts. So, was your fold unlucky? Skillful AND unlucky?
Well, if you play "luck" you would have called and tripled up. So, a similar situation comes up later and this time you bust out of the tourney, having relyed on luck.
So, I would say worrying about if you are unlucky or not is a huge waste of time and it's a sucker move. Use skill and you will go a lot farther. Skill can save you far more often than any luck ever possibly could, except in those rare circumstances which cannot possibly ever be duplicated on demand. Thats the key - can you reproduce a "lucky streak" when called upon to do so? No. Can you reproduce a cash win using skill? Not every time, but far more than any "lucky" player could ever dream!

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not even a discussion, let alone an argument. Luck is not within your control. Skill is the only thing you have a say in. You can work on your skills, luck is the wild and uncontrollable element that makes working hard on your skill critical to your success.

sandund

sandund

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not even a discussion, let alone an argument. Luck is not within your control. Skill is the only thing you have a say in. You can work on your skills, luck is the wild and uncontrollable element that makes working hard on your skill critical to your success.
C'mon, software rules. When you are playing online, you don`t play just against your opponents. If is poker skills all you need, you obviously never played against players like Russians. :D They don`t have any problems with winning without bluff on hands like 2-7 ... what ever you have in your hand. Just because poker software isn`t based on real life poker statistics. If you don`t work with statistics in online poker, we can`t talk about poker skill. Lot of them allways force bad hands because full -house is not a problem to get on hands like 2-7. I have watched lot of crazy cash games on PS, when people are pushing for 2nd time thousands of dollars on cards like AA...gues what, big money come with the hands like 2-7. You can`t say that people are playing wrong and don`t have skill because they are pushing for 2nd time hands like AA against 2-7...and have worst kind of bad beats...again, again and again.

Last edited:
sandund

sandund

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is nothing more than happy (or unhappy) coinencednce. You are short stacked on the button and shove your QQ. Blinds call with AA and KK. You are "unlucky" in this hand, right? Until you hit a Q on the river and take the pot, so now you are "lucky"? That's what many would say. Hogwash. Using that logic, you are simply always lucky until you are not/always unlucky until you are not.
As for skill; you have QQ on button, are short stacked, but facing two/three all in's before you from larger stacks. You fold - skilled because you know that QQ probably is no good against this much action. But QQ hits the flop, meaning you would have had the nuts. So, was your fold unlucky? Skillful AND unlucky?
Well, if you play "luck" you would have called and tripled up. So, a similar situation comes up later and this time you bust out of the tourney, having relyed on luck.
So, I would say worrying about if you are unlucky or not is a huge waste of time and it's a sucker move. Use skill and you will go a lot farther. Skill can save you far more often than any luck ever possibly could, except in those rare circumstances which cannot possibly ever be duplicated on demand. Thats the key - can you reproduce a "lucky streak" when called upon to do so? No. Can you reproduce a cash win using skill? Not every time, but far more than any "lucky" player could ever dream!
C'mon, let's face it - in real life poker - things are different. Statistics from
World series of poker talking about first rule; AA hend = when you play one on one, win 8 times and 1 time lose. In a long time statistics that is basic rule why players pick to play AA hand against just one opponent. When you play online poker with AA hand there is no way to win 8 times in 9 hands. If you win 5 times, you are more than "lucky". :rolleyes:

sandund

sandund

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the bad players will said that poker is a game of luck, and the good players will say it´s a game of skill. Personally i think it´s a game of skill which luck it´s a part of it. Only lucky makes bad player win and only unlucky makes good players lose.
I think that the Texas Holdem in real life is not the same game as Texas Holdem online.
In real life TH is game of skill because statistics is a big part, online poker isn't based on a long time statistics and without statistics we can`t talk about skill. Simply, poker software can cross you in one hour more than just one time with the same fake, just for the record, I lost with KK against K4s in one hour more than twice, but on the same table happened to win twice with 23s against AA. :rolleyes:

sunirico

sunirico

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's a can of worms:

There is no such thing as luck. As you keep doing the same thing you get "luckier" at it so it's skill.

Magic on the other hand does exist, whether you know that you are doing it or even believe you did or not.

Last edited:
R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
short term luck
long term skill

R

RicoRich24

Rising Star