Luck

H

Habbiner

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I havent been here for a while as i am a lapsed poker player. I have given it up because poker sites are fixed, lets not get into that, but also because of the above.

The skill element in poker is vastly over rated, and that luck is more important. Any hand, seemingly ahead, can be beaten easily. The possibilities of any hand is vast, from the flop to the river.

Even with the odds in your favour, there are playable odds that say you will lose, every hand. Every card, in every hand is a coin toss. To think you can play against that is laughable.

The thing that keeps poker playable is the delusion you can increase your skills and win money. You cant. All the top poker players know each others game, and can call hands on the strength of that, not what you would call skill.

Its all a punt in the dark, unless you know your opponent. There is a thread further down about a pair of kings, can you throw them? Of all the pairs of kings ive had, over many years, ive hardly won any. You judge whether to play a good hand on the behaviour of your opponent, not on your hand.

That is a measure of how unpredictable it all is. How many bad beats have you had this week or month? With the title of this note, bad beats now has a new meaning. Randomness is king, no pun intended.

Has anybody done a statistical breakdown of what can happen at any stage of a poker hand? No, because if you had that info, you would quit.

Its all a bit of fun, thats all.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
We all have luck! It’s either good or bad at the end of the day! You will never know unless you play!

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Your perception of poker is curious. Poker isn't about waiting for a perfect hand and playing with the certainty that you're going to win.
Think of poker as a scale with two plates: one is called luck, the other is called skill.
If you play very skillfully, know the fundamentals, have discipline, you put weights on the skill plate and this plate has gotten heavier.
Then the Dealer gives the cards. The two cards you receive are also weights and are classified as light, medium and heavy. You must analyze these two weights. Knowing if they are light, medium or heavy and knowing which dish they went to. It's up to you to know the fundamentals and to know which plate the weights of the cards you received were for. Then you look at your position at the table. If you know the fundamentals, you know where the weight of your position has gone. You should analyze which plate is heavier and who you are playing with: luck or skill.
It's pre-flop betting time. Then the skill begins. Not just to place your bet, but to read the weight of your opponents' scales and decide whether or not to play that hand.
If you give up, it's over.
If you get into the hand and call to see the flop, that's three more pesos that can all go to one of the cymbals or split and not change things much. Then the skill comes back, as before.
Turn and river are the same thing. Ability to know where the weights are.

All-in is the time when you kick the skill away and embrace the lucky plate because it's too heavy to be dispensed with. But luck is tricky, so play with it at your own risk and preferably with a stack that can absorb the loss without taking you out of the game. However, even to play lucky you will need the skill to consider your position and analyzing the behavior of other players at the table is essential to putting more weights on the lucky plate.

One important tip: knowing the dynamics of dealing cards in online poker rooms can put more weight on your skill plate.

Last edited:
A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The luck in poker in fact its big part of win......9n internet its different game its not like in tv or he play face to face....often the leader of cash game or tournament will be more lucky dont know why but its often like that

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
really

really in poker the luck factor counts a lot in the game. more skill counts a little more, another factor is having a good bankroll to play as i always say money always begets money ..

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Everyone has the right to their opinion. I believe that skills will always be more important than luck. But the main thing in my opinion is to be able to enjoy the game.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Don't agree, but hey, beats the hell out of actually working at it eh.

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is 50/50 skill and luck with a possibility to tilt the skill side favoring your way more than luck. Having bankroll management is the most important thing. Never worry about your win and loss record in poker the no.1 goal is are you consistently profiting money?

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello to all!
I disagree, a skill is needed in any business, if in poker a skill at some point does not help you win, this skill will not allow you to lose a lot.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In any aspect of life, luck plays a role not only in poker. In poker, it is more important to show composure and restraint, combined with patience and hard work, those who are not ready for this can only rely on luck.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I havent been here for a while as i am a lapsed poker player. I have given it up because poker sites are fixed, lets not get into that, but also because of the above.

The skill element in poker is vastly over rated, and that luck is more important. Any hand, seemingly ahead, can be beaten easily. The possibilities of any hand is vast, from the flop to the river.

Even with the odds in your favour, there are playable odds that say you will lose, every hand. Every card, in every hand is a coin toss. To think you can play against that is laughable.

The thing that keeps poker playable is the delusion you can increase your skills and win money. You cant. All the top poker players know each others game, and can call hands on the strength of that, not what you would call skill.

Its all a punt in the dark, unless you know your opponent. There is a thread further down about a pair of kings, can you throw them? Of all the pairs of kings ive had, over many years, ive hardly won any. You judge whether to play a good hand on the behaviour of your opponent, not on your hand.

That is a measure of how unpredictable it all is. How many bad beats have you had this week or month? With the title of this note, bad beats now has a new meaning. Randomness is king, no pun intended.

Has anybody done a statistical breakdown of what can happen at any stage of a poker hand? No, because if you had that info, you would quit.

Wow, you sound like a disgruntled employee, or just a poor loser. I know people, myself included, who have cashed in thousands from online poker. Yeah, luck was involved, but I seriously doubt we could keep doing it consistently if it was nothing but luck.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
They can beat you with junk hands, but it's part of the game, there will always be Recreational players who play you and beat you with anything, but it's a matter of keeping trying, even if I lose, I know when I played badly and when I played well.

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, I believe that luck does not exist, there is only probability, that is to say, an event can be done as long as it is likely to be fulfilled,
For example, if you play the lottery Well, you have a chance of winning the but if you don't play you can't win the if you play and you win it's not luck it's a probability it's 1 1000000 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

I see only frustration on your part.

In fact, to win a hand you need to have 100% of the probability on your side, so if you only have 99.99%, that 0.01% will eventually happen.

Of course, when it happens, it hurts and you bring up all existing conspiracy theories.

But see, building my BR from scratch, playing with freerolls.
Today, I earn an average of $800 per month, for many countries this is little, but for mine, it is equivalent to 4 minimum wages, that is, I earn the equivalent of an experienced lawyer or even a part-time engineer.

So be more flexible, find out what happens to your game, and try to find out if you're not wrong, because I guarantee you, luck happens, but it's something very small in the long run.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think luck in poker plays a major role in the company of patience and skill.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck influences but it is not the most important thing, you can win with 2-7 to an AK on the river because the player folded and luck has nothing to do with it, your ability to play is much more important and that covers many things that require study and perseverance to maintain a good game

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Luck talent,skill,patience, ego,knowing odds,and timing all play a part

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For two days in a row they give me AQo and I lose against 99 of the villain. I'm losing those flips and I'm not liking them at all.