Losing it ALLLLL

J

Jazzmaker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think wev all been to the point where we realize we tilt uncontrollably. Been there done that. I have in the past lost my whole br once ^^;;

So just curious to you guys out there who have faced similar situations of watching their br dwindle to nothing due to tilt - what does it take to come back???

I personally think it takes refocus and a good run :p I was forced to take a long break and when I returned I came back more focused on winning and less on money. This has helped me look at the long term rather than the short and therefore exercise more patience in mtts and rings. I think this helped a lot for me to come back (good runs help too!) but what about you guys?

J

jballer20

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't really tilt my bankroll away... i might lose a tourny due to tilt but after i bust i just wanna throw my comp anyway so i tend to get far away from my comp and do something else lol. but if i'm just playing poorly time off is always good

jewboy07

jewboy07

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no one is tiltless but everyone can tilt less

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also tilted all my bank roll away a few weeks ago.I was playing on a site and was picking up great hands only to have them beat.I picked up KK 3 times within an hour to have another player have AA all 3 times.Than I went on tilt and took my entire bank roll to the bj table and lost it all.

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Than I went on tilt and took my entire bank roll to the bj table and lost it all.

Don't do this. For the OP too, and not trying to sound rude, but you HAVE to practice good BRM. I was tilting pretty badly over the last month or so..but by using good BRM, I found myself able to recover. If you start playing above your usual limits because you're on tilt...you're probably headed downhill.

C

ColorMeBoom

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When i see my BR depleting, I usually stop playing real money at that time and play a freeroll or two....You still have that chance to win but your not risking anything. It just helps me without the stress of losing my money. just a suggestion :)

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just recently blew my stack due to tilting.
I have to relize that when i'm having a bad day at the tables just to get up and leave for a while and see if things turn around.
I acctually posted a blog called the 2suck out blues.
Because the other day just seemed to be the way it was for me all day long.

jasonallen28

jasonallen28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been there done the same thing but one thing I believe helps is taking a break from it all. I went broke one time and took a break and someone gave me a $5 loan on Full Tilt and I played a 90man 3.30 ko tournament and place 3rd and then another one placed 5th so i think a break defently helps.

houcowboy

houcowboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Discipline is the key and not just for poker.

Set some limits and stick to them.

slipknot4life

slipknot4life

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use to be pretty bad a tiltin, Now the beats don't get to me so much, and if they do, I stop playing for at least a couple hours.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have lost my whole BR before and I take a break, go back to freerolls and build it up again. I feel like an absolute moron when I don't use proper BR management.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i lost my roll many times in the past, and had serious tilt issues until about a month ago, only until i started to look at the 'long run' was i 'cured'. Now i just lose combus money which makes my life easier aswell

I

iloveoatmeal

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I started out with 0 and got up to 1000. My plan was at 1k to move from the 25 nl 6 man tables to the 50 nl. Upon moving to 50 nl i got my ass kicked at first and dropped down to 500. Then i had to go back to 25 nl and get it back up. THis happend 3 times straight. After lossing a 3rd 500 dollars at 50 nl i walked away for 2 months. Upon comming back i had the passion back for the game and i was mentally more ready to play. I finally broke pass my plateau.

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started out with 0 and got up to 1000. My plan was at 1k to move from the 25 nl 6 man tables to the 50 nl. Upon moving to 50 nl i got my ass kicked at first and dropped down to 500. Then i had to go back to 25 nl and get it back up. THis happend 3 times straight. After lossing a 3rd 500 dollars at 50 nl i walked away for 2 months. Upon comming back i had the passion back for the game and i was mentally more ready to play. I finally broke pass my plateau.

An excellent example of the benefits of good bankroll management. That's exactly what it's for: to absorb losses due to bad play and/or bad luck. It's even more important when you're still learning the game, and adjusting your playing style from session to session.

That's why I'd advise anyone learning poker to make understanding BRM an immediate priority. I guess you can learn whether a flush beats a straight before that, but not much else. :D

F

Flushbuster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i usually just head back to the small stakes cash games and build up my stack again

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep your chin up and you'll get there. Just remember to play within your b/r limits and you'll be fine.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If tilted many times before but if never lost my whole roll and if defiantly never done something as stupid(no offense OP) as take my entire BR to one table.
Self control is key,when i tilt poker becomes boring,when poker becomes boring i stop playing.
Simple as that.

C

chuckgellasc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never tilted the whole bankroll away. I use a 4BI stop loss in cash games, which I play mostly.

G

glworden

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally think it takes refocus and a good run :p I was forced to take a long break and when I returned I came back more focused on winning and less on money. This has helped me look at the long term rather than the short and therefore exercise more patience in mtts and rings. I think this helped a lot for me to come back (good runs help too!) but what about you guys?

I wouldn't tilt my whole roll, but I've experienced major dips where I feel like I can't win and I'm losing all the time. What helps is to take a break, think and read about what you need to get back to, then come back and play your best.

It sounds like a simple thing, but it's hard to do. Caro says it. Always play your best. Be honest: those losing streaks are almost always because you get loose or cocky or sloppy. Bankroll management takes care of the normal luck fluctuations, and bad luck - if you're honest - is rarely the real factor over a long losing streak.

So I simply come back, start at lower limits and concentrate on playing tight aggressive poker. My stats when doing well show I see 20% flops or less.

You say think of the long term. I disagree. It's thinking long term that gets me into trouble. I want to make this much money or get back the money I lost, and it causes impatient play. I think of the short term. What's the best way to play this hand and this session? I win what I win and have to be happy with that. My confidence is restored when I have a string of winning sessions, even if those are small wins.

Gary

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't tilt my whole roll, but I've experienced major dips where I feel like I can't win and I'm losing all the time. What helps is to take a break, think and read about what you need to get back to, then come back and play your best.

It sounds like a simple thing, but it's hard to do. Caro says it. Always play your best. Be honest: those losing streaks are almost always because you get loose or cocky or sloppy. Bankroll management takes care of the normal luck fluctuations, and bad luck - if you're honest - is rarely the real factor over a long losing streak.

So I simply come back, start at lower limits and concentrate on playing tight aggressive poker. My stats when doing well show I see 20% flops or less.
Every thing above i agree with. Every thing below i disagree with
You say think of the long term. I disagree. It's thinking long term that gets me into trouble. I want to make this much money or get back the money I lost, and it causes impatient play. I think of the short term. What's the best way to play this hand and this session? I win what I win and have to be happy with that. My confidence is restored when I have a string of winning sessions, even if those are small wins.

Gary
Imo you should be thinking: What´s the best play that will make me the most money in the long run.
a losing session shouldn't matter,what should matter is that u maked the correct long term decision´s in the session.
And thinking i whant to win this much money or get back this much money is just a recipe for disaster.

spranger

spranger

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I've tilted away 2 bankrolls in the past, won't ever do it again. Learning to control tilt is especially important if you multitable. Since I always play 9 cashtables at a time now, if I take a 1outer or 2outer beat on one of the tables for my stack and start to feel the veins popping out, I shut down all the tables and quit for a bit. Going on tilt with multiple buyins at stake can be a horrible thing and can create a HUGE bankroll swing, and not the good kind. If I'm still in a poker mood I'll just come blog on here or go to pokertube.com and watch some Poker After Dark until I'm calm and controlled enough to go hit the tables again.

TheNoob

TheNoob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nowadays, I can tilt horrible and not even come close to losing my whole br. Damn, two weeks ago I parted with 16% of my br and I was sick about that.

I think any time you are losing your entire br due to ANYTHING (tilt, coolers etc) it means you probably need to be thinking about lower limits.

IMHO.

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have that too that if i lose too much on good hands i wanna punch the screen or i go lose all my money better just leave an d come back for a while cause when you're angry your play gets only worse.....

almostfamous1003

almostfamous1003

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't really tilt my bankroll away... i might lose a tourny due to tilt but after i bust i just wanna throw my comp anyway so i tend to get far away from my comp and do something else lol. but if i'm just playing poorly time off is always good

lol yeah i have felt like tossing the PC off the balcony more than a few times! Only thing i can do is get away from poker all together for a few days and then come back more focused

S

stew20

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
oh have i been there lol. i started with a $50 deposit on absolute poker way before the cheating scandal got revealed and i started with $5 heads up sng's then 10 sng's then 20 sng's and slowly worked my way up and before i knew it i was at $800! i just couldnt be beat i was on a hot streak so then my cousin said i was on a roll and should chance a $500 buy in and stupid me agreed i had AJ the guy pushed all in with A6 of clubs pre-flop i called the flop was 457 with 2 clubs... lol i knew i was done right there he had so many outs to win and of course the turn card is the 8 to complete his straight. after i lost that game i was down to about 300 and didnt care anymore i was so pissed i just did a 200 heads up then a 100 heads up and bye bye bankroll.