Long tourneys

W

waldorood

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never played on world tavern poker. How is it?
1Birddog

It's not an online poker service so you can't "play on" it. It's a USA league run through a website and played, in person, at bars. The bar pays them a fee and the web site does the game management and supplies the end of season prizes. A bar will typically setup the game for a weak sales night and bring in extra customers. No gambling allowed so all legal for most states.

The bar I usually play at will get 40-60 players on a Tuesday night for 2 games (7:00 and 10:00)

All of which is horribly off topic, but does result in some huge end of season games (Bang! back on topic!)

I've been tempted to start a thread on bar leagues and specifically World Tavern Poker but didn't want to risk getting labeled a spammer. Maybe I will and just cross my fingers...

I have no business affiliation with World Tavern Poker but I am a satisfied user. Admins, if you have a problem please PM and it's the last time I'll post anything about WTP.

A

Alwinpos

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive been playing a 1800 free cash tournament once.
I was running great and ended up in the 100ths with my chipammount.

The tournament lasted almost about 4 hours untill i got knocked out and finished 198th.

They should really create a system where there will be 1 day breaks after every x ammount of hours.

toogood2k

toogood2k

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
once i had played freeroll on pstars like about 6hours~, finished 2nd. won my first money on pstars ^_^ that was like about half year back

D

Daleyboy1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The longest ive played is 7 hours in a $5 buy in on stars to finish 28th

FEARFACTOR

FEARFACTOR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Awhile back pokerstars had event qualifying tourneys where the winner of each table advanced to the next round against the other table winners, this format continued until I think only 10 players remained. The tourney I played took over 6 hours, but to make it harder if you won your table you might need to wait an hour or so for the other tables to finish before the start of the next round.

Yeah, I played in several of these a while back. Once I had to wait over 2 hours for the other tables to finish before we could start the next round. A couple of times I was too tired to wait. Not knowing how long it was going to take, I just said to heck with it and went to bed.
The U.B. $50 freerolls typically take 6 hours. The blinds go up so slowly. Also, there are so many sitters that eat the clock up. Even if a sitter has clicked "sit out", if he gets transferred to a new table, the clock process starts all over again. With an initial 20 seconds to act, then 60 seconds extra time, it gets very maddening. They need to fix that, so once you are "sitting out", you are not dealt cards until you unclick it.

xtrigemino

xtrigemino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I finish 2nd on a pokerstars freeroll like 2 years ago.. men I play like 6 hrs in that tourney. over 6000 people... so sick, from that day I never try again , but if you want play just for fun... do it, ;P

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
man, in all the many years gone past, i must have had many games 6-8 hrs long, and usually for a small payout (at best). 12000 ppl is too many for a game, unless its the wsop, now that i got a bankroll, i prefer sit n gos- usually 1 table- a quick game, alright payout, and 1 in 3 win is my kind of odds. thx for the warnings of the deepstack games too- now i know I'll never touch em:)
and congrats to all the above players that played some great games

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Longest one I've played was definitely the deestack tourney on Stars on the weekend. I went out after the 7th break and there were still around 8tables left playing at that point. Close to 8hrs. and nowhere near the end of it... 30min. levels for an online tourney.... pretty long for sure. I got so tired in that tourney that once when I woke up with AA, I just shoved like 90bb's on a 3-bet AI (and I actually got called.. LOL.. which only prolonged the agony, lol).

I've considered playing these tourneys again, but it's just such a huge time committment that I haven't bothered to. Good practise for Deepstack play (and decent to be used for a Deepstack Live tourney with super slow structure, as in 2 or 3-day event.... which I'm contemplating here coming up later this year). Like I said... I've thought about it but even in the tourney lobby it says something about having the coffee on (& I suggest having meals made in advance, lol).

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Longest freeroll.... it was on Carbon Poker. I was considering playing in a priv. league and some of the games were being held on Carbon. I didn't really want to deposit so I thought I'd give one freeroll a try, just after downloading the site and fairly late at night.
I think there were around 1,000 entrants and for sure only Top10 got paid. I went out in 11th with K-K... damn!!!!
I thought afterwards as I hobbled towards my bed at 5am,.."Why didn't I just pick up a VisaGiftCard at 7/11 and deposit on there tomorrow. Instead I've just written off my entire day tomorrow and won't be able to make any $$ working.....for what??.. to try to win like $5 or $10?"
I didn't/couldn't/& wouldn't play another one after that, lol... but I didn't deposit either.

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been quite constantly playing rebuys on the ipoker network. These usually take about 4-6 hours, so you really do have time to wait for a lot of hands.

The upside is that the ROI you can make in these tournaments is very
nice since the other players generally aren't patient enough to wait for good spots.

E

Ecomdan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the longest one I've played was the Hubbles freeroll on stars... this was before they lowered the entry cap to 9000 I think it used to be 10 or 12000 could enter.

Took about 8 hours to get to the cut off for the round 2 ticket, and then it didn't even end! I was asking the players at my table wtf is goin on? Why we still playing?? Something about tourney leaderboard points or some crap... I got the ticket so I said screw the points and just started shoving all in til I bust and then went to bed :)

1Birddog

1Birddog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, Waldorood for the info on the World poker. I was just wondering about it since I never saw it anywhere
1Birddog