Life Roll VS Bankroll

K

kelvin22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't find it suited to ask for life-managing advice, on a poker forum. Don't get me wrong, we all have our opinions, and it's what we can offer at most, but (i believe) we all manage our funds, regardless of whatever advice/opinion we might receive, because influence is not always a good thing if it affects you in a negative way.

500hpawd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right now on BCP im doing the starting from $0 challenge but I use part of my disposable income for poker atm. What I want to do is deposit a couple of hundred and separate them and go by a very strict BRM though. and I may do that sometime in the next few months, but for now its freerolls and building from 0 with strict BRM once I get some of it built up.

goal is to eventually be playing 2/4 and 3/6 limit 7 stud

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Read all the tips to manage your poker bankroll. For me, no advice is suitable. In life at the moment I have absolutely no money, very sad. Moreover, there is no money for poker. I have to play in freerolls. However, winning money in online poker, I do not remove it, because it is a trifle. I need to play at average rates in order to at least satisfy my vital needs, but I have no money for it. I'm in a vicious circle.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Very interesting thread and comments.
I have my poker bankroll and my life bank roll completely separated, also 2 different bank accounts for this. Or better said an e-wallet with credit card for poker and an usual bank account for the money, that I earn from my job.

When I started playing poker, it wasn't like this, I always deposited from my normal bank account and wasted my money away with this. But I also had not much money for real life during this time, because I was a student. I did this, until I realized, this isn't the right way.

Afterwards I started freerolling and had a very strict bankroll management. I would say I still have this. Probably too strict. Actually I should play on higher limits, that I do now and meanwhile I have a job and would have enough income to substitute my poker bankroll somehow with this. But it is not necessary anymore. So therefore I do it vice versa, that I cash out from time to time from my e-wallet to present me something nice or use it as extra money for vacation or so.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It very much depends if poker is job and main source of money for you or just hobby like many others.

If it is a job your bankroll and life roll will inevitably be much more tightly connected. In this case having one bank account for everything is not so much of a problem. You should just pay your bills for living with priority and play with the rest using strict bankroll management rules.

If you play for hobby you should take part of your regular income which you can afford to loose and just use it to play. If you will have separate bank account or not is not so important for me as long as you have good financial discipline.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management