Leaving the Game When Ahead

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play when I see that the players leave then I play on and try to win from other players who stayed at the table or who come to the table, this is a game in which you win or lose money, just focus and try to win from other players!

E

ElRosado

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Up and leaving

SOme one else said deal with it.
I 100% agree. If that's renting space in your head then they already got you.

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you are playing bad players--keep playing unless you are tired and think that you are playing down at their level..if you start to lose your concentration then quit

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not sure what OP means by leaving the game. Is it just sit out or completely leave the table? Anyway there are many cases when such approach is reasonable. Lets give example with a cash game - you start playing and you win for example 3x your buyin quickly but after that you start loosing for a long time and you chips drop to 2x your buyin. In such case i personally would leave that table while i am still ahead and either go to another table of completely quit the game for today (for example when i feel tired). Another example - MTT for which you have qualified via satellite (hence much lower buyin than normal for this MTT). You are close to the bubble and you have enough chips to be sure that you will get to the money. In such case it is ok to sit out till you get to the money and after that continue to play. another example - mtt which is satellite for another tournament. You are close to the bubble and have the chips to get to the tickets for the final. In such case it is stupid to play any hand (even AA) because you can loose even with such hand and you can't win anything. Sitout at the correct time can sometimes be very useful and as it is legal part of the game i never attack people for doing it. Poker is a game where everybody uses everything legal to get and edge and walk out with the money.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I sometime play a cash game and if I get
ahead quickly I get out.

D

derpaderp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you talking about online or live? I can understand why people would think that it’s rude in a home game amongst friends, but online anything goes.

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Actually I don't like it either and I don't stand up immediatly after I won an all-in. Mainly two reasons for me to leave and look for another table:
1. Only regs left at the table. I leave at the next BB.
2. Still recs at the table but somehow being kind of card dead at getting the (admittetly superstitious) feeling, that I had my "fair share of the table". Maybe it's superstition, maybe it's variance.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you! Its rude to leave the game after getting ahead.

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we're talking cash game getting ahead and leaving makes sense. Take the profit and come back later or switch tables and start again risking your normal buy in.

I think you meant sitting out during a tournament. It's a strategic / lazy move. Meaning I'm either not disciplined enough just throw out the trash while I let the other players knock themselves out. Most likely it means I'm playing multiple tables and don't need to be concerned with this one for a while so I'm ignoring it.

M

MrTerek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is the game face reality and do not fantasize absurd things. Nobody owes you nothing is just a game face the risks

Agree for 100%, dont understand what did he want to say

B

BeiMoh420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's tough leaving the game while ahead because "you're hot." I leave whenever I make a bad play or am feeling tired.

Top 10 Games