Just played my first online game of 5 Card Draw!!!

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have recently been reading An education of a poker player, by Herbert O Yardley. It struck me that maybe I should try a different poker variant to see what they are like to play online.

So I played my first game of 5 card draw. It was $3.30 on Stars, and was No limit. It ended up with around 85 entries and 14 places paid. I finished 12th, which was awesome in my first game.

It did strike me that maybe this game could be fairly easy to beat. I was called by all sorts of rubbish at times, when combined with some timely all in shoves I kept my stack without too much danger.

Does anyone else play these games, and what are your thoughts? I'm going to keep track of these games and see how I do.....to be continued.....probably in the challenges thread tho!

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have recently been reading An education of a poker player, by Herbert O Yardley. It struck me that maybe I should try a different poker variant to see what they are like to play online.

So I played my first game of 5 card draw. It was $3.30 on Stars, and was No limit. It ended up with around 85 entries and 14 places paid. I finished 12th, which was awesome in my first game.

It did strike me that maybe this game could be fairly easy to beat. I was called by all sorts of rubbish at times, when combined with some timely all in shoves I kept my stack without too much danger.

Does anyone else play these games, and what are your thoughts? I'm going to keep track of these games and see how I do.....to be continued.....probably in the challenges thread tho!

I prefer some other variants to Holdem but they are not as popular as Texas, Omaha is a great variant that I love to play, also Stud is another variant that I can play well in fact I entered a Stud Freeroll once where only the top 5 seats qualified for a bigger Tournament and smashed it, being the Chip leader on the final table I played until there was only 5 of us left, and even though there was a small cash prize for the outright winner. I sent a message to the Table that they could have my Chips as I was going to bed.
They could not believe that I was giving up and sitting out for the rest of the game, but I explained I had been playing for well over 7 hours, I had done what I wanted and won a seat, So I would wait until the next game, It was 2.00 am. in the morning and had to be up for work at 6.00 am. so had to get some sleep.:)
The next game was held a few days later and the format was Texas Holdem, I was gutted! I really thought we would be playing Stud again! Still I enjoyed the Stud game, just unfortunate not to play it again.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That to me was poker for first part of my life. I actually had no clue there was any other kind.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The old Wild West game. And the most popular game when I grew up (in Sweden).

It's not my favorite game, but you are right that it's probably pretty soft if you know the basics since there is so little information online.

In this old thread, they discuss some learning materials: https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/21/other-poker-games/5-card-draw-books-articles-444981/

I agree, its not my fave either. But its fun to play in a real money game from time to time. Plus we do always get told game selection is key. If a large proportion of the players are playing poorly, I'm in!!! :)
I prefer some other variants to Holdem but they are not as popular as Texas, Omaha is a great variant that I love to play, also Stud is another variant that I can play well in fact I entered a Stud Freeroll once where only the top 5 seats qualified for a bigger Tournament and smashed it, being the Chip leader on the final table I played until there was only 5 of us left, and even though there was a small cash prize for the outright winner. I sent a message to the Table that they could have my Chips as I was going to bed.
They could not believe that I was giving up and sitting out for the rest of the game, but I explained I had been playing for well over 7 hours, I had done what I wanted and won a seat, So I would wait until the next game, It was 2.00 am. in the morning and had to be up for work at 6.00 am. so had to get some sleep.:)
The next game was held a few days later and the format was Texas Holdem, I was gutted! I really thought we would be playing Stud again! Still I enjoyed the Stud game, just unfortunate not to play it again.
I'm definitely looking to extend my understanding of different variations. Stud looks like another fairly simple game. I would love to learn Omaha too, but I got very confused the first time I tried. I think it was hi lo though. Def one day I will spend some time on it.

Have you ever played HORSE tourneys online?
That to me was poker for first part of my life. I actually had no clue there was any other kind.
I think me too. But we didn't play an interesting structure in terms of betting, so the game didn't appear to have much strategy. However now I am looking at it a little differently. :)

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I first learned 5 card draw as a kid but now the only draw game I generally play is badugi, I play pl08, stud8, HORSE the most but I like variety and I think learning other games helps in learning the all around game, it's also very boring playing the same game all the time!

iceheart888

iceheart888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think the last time I played 5 drow cards was 10 years ago. It's one of my favorites but unfortunately it's not very popular

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello everyone. I can't say that I'm facing a problem, but after submitting an application to participate in the league, I found out that games such as Stud, Badugi, and others are planned. I downloaded Doyle Brunson's book and I'm rereading it! Especially, if the first time I read it, I skipped chapters about these games and only read about hold'em, now I understand his words that it is simply necessary to expand one's circle of games. I will definitely tell you about my impressions after the game!

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I love this this game :0 ...to bad that is not very popular and played ..

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yep, this was the standard game back in the day. Well, this and stud. I too played my very first poker games w/this variant. So many memories. I played it once or twice online back in the day at the Merge sites (Carbon, PDC, Reefer to name a few) and did ok. I think there was always a game going at $.02/.04 between the same 4-6 players. Good times.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I enjoy playing some mixed games & also grew up playing 5cd draw (I began playing when my hands were big enough to fan the 5 cards out in them... my mother LOVED poker & became my biggest fan).

I've thought of pursuing mixed games further... maybe focusing solely on them for a few mos. (there's a schedule one can throw together of micro stakes tourneys.. ~25/day). I've played a bit online & studied a small bit too.
Picked up a couple books last year >>
Getting Started with HORSE Poker (Chris Wallace, Michael Mizrachi, Robert Mizrachi)
Mastering Mixed Games: Winning Strategies for Draw, Stud and Flop Games (Dylan Linde aka ImaLucSac )

But then caught the nlhe bug again, (for now)
It would be great to put in some volume & study and then play some Mixed Games Tournaments in Vegas at wsop.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I enjoy playing some mixed games & also grew up playing 5cd draw (I began playing when my hands were big enough to fan the 5 cards out in them... my mother LOVED poker & became my biggest fan).

I've thought of pursuing mixed games further... maybe focusing solely on them for a few mos. (there's a schedule one can throw together of micro stakes tourneys.. ~25/day). I've played a bit online & studied a small bit too.
Picked up a couple books last year >>
Getting Started with HORSE Poker (Chris Wallace, Michael Mizrachi, Robert Mizrachi)
Mastering Mixed Games: Winning Strategies for Draw, Stud and Flop Games (Dylan Linde aka ImaLucSac )

But then caught the nlhe bug again, (for now)
It would be great to put in some volume & study and then play some Mixed Games Tournaments in Vegas at WSOP.
This is great info, cheers.

For years I have said 'poker' and meant only NL holdem. The reality, and history is much different.

But also the competition is very different. Loads of players are solid enough at NL holdem, I wonder if this is the same for other games.

As is often the case with me, I have an idea, but then other ideas take over, so I still haven't actually played my 2nd game yet!! Haha The beauty of making a thread is that I get reminded!!

Thanks for the link, it looks interesting.

MARIANARDES2022

MARIANARDES2022

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I really like this game, very cool.

Top 10 Games