Jeff Gross (Poker Pro) - Ask Me Anything!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

CardsChat Pro/Twitch Partnered Streamer
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Jeff just wondering how do you keep composure after a bad beat?
Hey! My dad always taught me to win as if you expect it, lose as if you like it! You have to remember things will happen good and bad, staying even keeled is huge and will go a long way in poker if you can have this mentality as a base line.

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello,
im pretty new in the poker world and reading currently a grinders manual, which i really like. So i play currently only DON to pracctice a bit what i learned.

I have some questions to PokerTrackerStats: Which one are the most important for Tournaments?

Yes using PT4 is a really good idea. The main stats displayed are what I would use. I made a custom change where the BB are displayed in big bold color coordinated video. If you look at my twitch channel; JeffGrossPoker.tv you can click on any past video and see this. Also in my Discord channel, you can see you a folder for PT4 which a video has been made explaining my custom HUD.

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why do you think that tournaments are currently more plentiful of beginning/weaker players
I think tournaments are more intricate, there is more variation then with stack sizes and how to play different bb situations. Cash games is more "solved" if you will 100bb+ deep, not as many soft games online. Think mtt will always be lucrative to those that study & put in the time.

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jeff, what's the number one thing that separates a recreational player and a professional?
mental toughness; willingness to take risk when they believe there game is ready to move up stakes. This was discussed recently on a podcast i did w/ BenCB789

A

alannalmeida

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Give some professionals tips about behaviours

First of all, thanks for doing that. So my question is quite untypical i think. Could you give some tips about reading our opponents. because I think when the table is getting smaller is easier to notice everyone playing, but and at the first moment? Like, starting the game. What can you say ? Thanks for that.:cool::cool::cool:

Rawgame74

Rawgame74

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Black Chip Poker

which sites do you recommend online is bcp a good 1?

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, thanks for doing that. So my question is quite untypical i think. Could you give some tips about reading our opponents. because I think when the table is getting smaller is easier to notice everyone playing, but and at the first moment? Like, starting the game. What can you say ? Thanks for that.:cool::cool::cool:
No Problem! I would stay as alert as you can but yes will take a bit of time to get info on someone you've never seen before. Being present & off of electronics is important!

Destruct51

Destruct51

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Jeff!! So I started playing online again this year, found my ground and my game and then started to win. Notable, 6th in the 100k on ACR. I won on PK stars before the fallout too. But lately my hands aren't holding up, way too often. And yes I know this game has variance, but its costing me. Got any advice, charms or secret groups to join, lol!!

Zzzms

Zzzms

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a plateau that ive had trouble spotting..
How do you know when your game has outgrown your stakes?

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Jeff!! So I started playing online again this year, found my ground and my game and then started to win. Notable, 6th in the 100k on ACR. I won on PK stars before the fallout too. But lately my hands aren't holding up, way too often. And yes I know this game has variance, but its costing me. Got any advice, charms or secret groups to join, lol!!
Hey! Yes I would highly recommend doing some studying. What I use personally is on my website; JeffGrossPoker.com/affiliaton (can click on the Raise Your Edge there; discount codes as well). There is lots of good information out there and programs, this is the best for me & I endorse it. Watching youtube videos & Twitch is also great. MTT tournaments online are great still!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's a plateau that ive had trouble spotting..
How do you know when your game has outgrown your stakes?
I think a good indication is when you are getting the same results over and over again(when not good results) also maybe a sign to take a step back and evaluate some of the plays w/ friends or poker tools to analyze what's going on! The definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly & expecting a different result!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dear Jeffrey

Did you play College soccer? what position?

Also, how do other cardschat members get a hot Brazilian wife

Cheers
Reading this again makes me laugh! Haha you gotta make a trip to brazil or meet them walking around Burning Man :)

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually did try to watch you on stream today It wasn't you though it was some other guy. I probably got rerouted do you have a specific time you usually do on twitch?
hey a good way to get the cardschat peeps on your channel would be to stream the cardschat ACR tourneys. We'd love to watch something we all actually play in and we'd prolly be telling our friends hey watch this guy to watch us lol. no BS people love themselves at the poker table more than anyone else if you could incorporate the cardschat community in your stream and mabey even do some commentary on cardschat final tables live. You'd probably get a good hundred subscribers each time. Well if you do decide to let me know I'll help spread the word, and thanks for joining our community!!!
I plan to stream much more in 2019 w/ the Baby coming and less travel! Yes if I am not online you are seeing me auto host someone that's why it re directs you!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Should I play every day?
I would not suggest that! You could if it is for a set amount of time, you really don't want to get burned out though. I think having a set schedule is a good idea and keeps you balanced & hungry!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Jeff,
one question to one of my last hands.
As Qs...
preflop raise....2.5x BB (BB=2.000)
one call...
preflop: 2s 9s 8h
caller set 10.000...
all in from me 30.000...
call again and shows Kh 9c
no hit for me on turn & river for flush or pair.

Do you think this was too aggressive?

BR!
No not at all, having 2 overs & the NFD (Nut Flush Draw) you are def looking to put money into the pot, don't be results oriented! Unlucky next hand!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Jeff,
So here's my question.

As you've obviously been successful both live and online what (if any) type of things do you use for hand type indication from an online game?

I've been fairly successful live and I've won a few online tournaments but I find myself to the point where online it's just always seems if you can even get heads up preflop the hand who chose to stay always hits the board like a Mack truck? It's either a stone bluff or they have the nuts or close? It's easier to size someone up across the table. Is there anything other than thier bet sizing you have found to be a tell or is a help to you when making a decision online?

I'm really talking more of the they have it they don't you know they are shoving whatever comes hands. What makes up your mind that maybe most people wouldn't consider?
Great question. I would say using a HUD is the most valuable (Heads up Display) such as PokerTracker4. This gives you lot of information even basic stats go long way! Hope this helps (for online)

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, Jeff. I have a problem with playing in the middle stage of the tournament and near the bubble. at the very beginning I can collect a good stack (not always of course), but then everything starts to deteriorate. I go into standby mode (top cards ), the game slows down, the blinds devour my chips. in the end, not waiting for anything good I ended up stuffing and out. I have a pathological fear of garbage maps. if the opponents make 3-bet or more, I fold, and in the end my hand is the best. this happens quite often. the worst thing is to answer with a short stack. I ask for your advice from personal experience. what do you do with a big stack, and how do you play with garbage? Thanks. with respect to you, Vlad.
Yes this sounds like a mind set issue. Don't be afraid to go for it. Realize that the lion share of the money is in the top 3 places. So making some aggressive moves near a bubble or secondary bubble that dont' work out some time is okay. Building a big stack that can pressure ppl late is huge! Take some risks & embrace it!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jeff Gross love the twitch stream you are a poker beast and all around good guy! Also congrats on the future baby!
Thanks again! What is your username on Twitch?

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello , When did you start playing poker for the first time and why?
When I was a SO in highschool, my friend on my high school soccer team (Craig Pfister) brought in a plastic chip set and we started playing at soccer camp. The rest is history!

K

kylekramer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
online poker

Hey Jeff I'm a Pennsylvania resident live poker player looking to add some ev to my game, and get more hands in reguarly so I'm wanting to start online play, but no pokerstars here in PA yet the only other I've known of was ACR however they've been accused of using bots over & over making me hesitant to play there. Do you know of a trusted site or any other helpful info. Thanks

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What makes you any better than anyone else in poker?
This is a pretty ambiguous question but can try to tackle it. I think in general you can attribute many factors in what constructs a poker player. Experience & fundamentals are paramount. Being able to deal w/ the mental side of the game is huge as well. bankroll management is also underrated & managing tilt factor. These are some of the things to look at when comparing poker players abilities.

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
one thing i was wondering about pro players is did you have money or a bankroll to start with or did you start with nothing. what is it exactly that makes a pro a pro.
I can't speak for all pro players, but I can talk about my start. I started playing .25/.50 live w/ friends and then the same online 6 -max. I ran up a roll from starting w/ a small amount. What makes a pro pro is hard to say. Basically someone who is able to support themselves from Poker. A pro also conducts him or her self in a professional manner on and off the table.