Jeff Gross (Poker Pro) - Ask Me Anything!

K

Kalmi500

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

How many hours do you play a day?
You play poker every day?

M

mjarom21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good stuff. Watch your stream sometimes, keep it up and hope you enjoy the forum.

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

CardsChat Pro/Twitch Partnered Streamer
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi Jeff thank you very much for this topic and for donating a little of your time and your knowledge to us CardsChat members ..... I really enjoyed knowing that you feel a little Brazilian because of your wife being a Brazilian .. .. I hope I can play with you in some game here in CardsChat and I managed to win ... lol ... always success in your journey

Cleber Wagner
Prazer! Boa Sorte :) Yes let's do it!

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally believe poker is all about the bluff. whether its tournaments or getting action in a cash game. Do you think this bluff approach is now dead in the high stakes circuits? and is it mainly dominated by hero callers and range analyzers?and what makes tom dwan a good bluffer? sorry its like 4 questions but thank you very much for joining us!

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Managing a bankroll has become more polished as the years have gone by. I have a good system for what I want to risk in what formats. I also have supplemental income and a well diversified portfolio of revenue streams that has a nice padding for me that takes away pressure of playing in a cash game or mtt that I play. If i feel a bit off/cold I may sell more then I would or if I'm hot and in the zone I may press a bit more but I keep it down the center of the fairway most of the time. Bankroll management is key and def a vital part of longevity in this beautiful game!

So what was your first attempts like going pro? Did it go well? Daniel Negreanu lost over 3k! Which was his whole bankrolland lost it more times than theres outs for a oesfd. Do you have any horror stories of the past you wouldn't mind sharing?

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a pretty good grasp on range and position as well as how chip stack plays a huge roll in style but i think my problem is focus loosing it i bluff way to much. Any suggestions on maintaining focus would be greatly appreciated.
Hey! I think I don't bluff enough! There is def a good middle ground. I think you should take out "no equity bluffs" if you have 45ss and the flop is kj9dhc for example this would be a board to give up on since you have no back door draws or equity. Also bluffing on earlier streets focus on and less on turn and rivers. Happy to discuss this in more detail! I will be live streaming on twitch soon (JeffGrossPoker.tv) :) come chat!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've won 3 entries into the Sunday Million over the last three weeks (including today) by winning a Spin N Go ticket ($11, $22), then by winning the SNG satellite...after several attempts.

I encountered "gettingpwned" several times during the SNG's.
One of my earlier posts stated that "I'll be thinking like an Orca to make meals of sharks."

I've been able to satellite my way into some of the bigger games at Party, ACR and 888 and have made notes on some of the usual suspects there also (these are all CardsChat venues).
Two questions please:

1. What database lookup (HendonMob..SharkScope...) should I review, if any, to study the kinds of players I'll be facing on the virtual felt in the bigger games?

2. Can you recommend some of the toughest online games you're aware of at Poker Stars or is the price point self-explanatory?

Thank you Jeff!
Hey! sharkscope for online, hendon mob for live generally.
I play mtt on pokerstars, not so familiar w/ the lower stakes cash games. I know the higher stakes ones are very tough. Best of luck!!!!!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello jeff! When was the time you decided to become a professional poker player?Was it when you hit your first big score ? Also do you still enjoy the game as gou used to or see it more of a work now?
I loved this game from the first moment I played it! 2010 at wsop I finished 5th/3,000+ in a WSOP event for six figures. You can search me or any player on the Hendon Mob website. Yes I enjoy it more then ever, each day more and more I appreciate it and how it translates into every day life! #notahobby

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Jeff, I was wondering if u could help me with I guess a theory question? Say we are in early position with KQ KJs etc. we open or 3 bet and completely miss the flop what do we do? We completely miss flop and turn what do we do? Thanks for the info!
Tom! Thank you for the question. This is a complex question and the board texture and stack sizes and player tendencies will vary lot here; this is why the game is so great. Very rare the exact same situation arises (lots of similar but always a bit different). Happy to discuss in more detail on a live Twitch stream! JeffGrossPoker.tv is where I stream!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just referencing the above post: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/gen...oss-poker-pro-ask-me-395777/post-4728653.html,
"PocketFives" seems to be a good site as well.

As a recreational, studious but exclusively online player presently, my goal is to earn $100k online before the year is out. My ability rating on SharkScope shows a high of 67 and yours as JeffGross on Poker Stars, shows as 77. Before I commit to maintaining a larger bankroll on the site, my present bankroll ranges from $20-$70 and I withdraw regularly, should I try to win some of the micro stakes MTT's and pay my way into larger tournaments or should I keep working at winning satellite entries to the larger MTT games?
This really comes down to where you think you have the most edge and are the most comfortable! I would stick w/ smaller stuff to maintain your roll. MTT has lot variance; so supplementing that w/ some steady sng/cash is great! I like that idea best.

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good morning Jeff or good afternoon, whatever time you read it, hopefully you're fine, will you ever play some cardschat freeroll? It would be great
Hey! I just got to Montreal today from Vegas for the WPT events at Playground Poker here. When is the next one let me know will do my best!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dear Jeffrey

Did you play College soccer? what position?

Also, how do other cardschat members get a hot Brazilian wife

Cheers
Hey there! Yes I did at the University of South Carolina. Central Midfielder (& left bench lol, didnt' play ton in colllege but did get partial scholarship and had a blast)!. haha that is called using your one time!!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I still do not allow myself to play poker live because of the emotions, any tips so that I can get rid of the emotions?
Yes! Meditate, take deep breaths. If you are playing and feel it coming on then stand up take walk & simply notice what is happening and move on! This is normal, takes practice!! I believe in you!!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

How many hours do you play a day?
You play poker every day?
Hey there! I don't play every day, and I don't set an exact hours. Generally it's how I am feeling/doing or if it's a live home game session I go until the end. If it's a twitch stream (JeffGrossPoker.tv) it can e up to 14 hours when rested and feeling good. The time varies lot! It's rare I set a specific time slot to play.

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally believe poker is all about the bluff. whether its tournaments or getting action in a cash game. Do you think this bluff approach is now dead in the high stakes circuits? and is it mainly dominated by hero callers and range analyzers?and what makes tom dwan a good bluffer? sorry its like 4 questions but thank you very much for joining us!
Bluffing is a key component & using blockers is very important. There is less random bluffing but still calculated bluffs. Solvers are def a real part of the game now. I like your thought process!

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluffing is a key component & using blockers is very important. There is less random bluffing but still calculated bluffs. Solvers are def a real part of the game now. I like your thought process!

I have always wanted to be the best poker player in the world since I was a child and read Phill Helmuths guide to limit holdem. Inside this holy grail of a book he explains people as animals and each strategy is adjusted to beat each individuals strategy/personality. Ive always thought to myself the strategy to beat the pros is not to use the strategy that they are using.but having a deep understanding of what they are doing and why they are doing it and understanding how to counter it. I have often found alotta of the counters to the pro moves (such as cbets) include check raises and floats to reraise either the turn or river depending on the texture and opponent.In tournaments using this outplay my opponent strategy using position and really gutsy online reads.I usually dominate the chip leader position the entire way or bust early. The downfall/Con of the counter strategy is how much the raises put me at risk if I did run into a set or two pair often times betting 2/3 of a pot just to win the pot which half the chips in said pot were mine(I ALWAYS try to isolate).Running into a table full of very tight slowplayers is also very bad for this if we see a flop but free blinds till then. The pros: My range is the entire deck I raise with position and spotting weakness. I can get more action than anyone by showing some of these bluffs.It than makes the table looser and I can get people to shove over me with second pair and draws.(when the time to manipulate the table is right )and switching gears.
If my 74 offsuit hits and I read my opponents properly I can get paid
I don't rely on cards so if I never get dealt a hand I can still make it far folding is a big key to winning and setting up an image. Iv raised with 49 and wouldn't limp or raise with A10 the next hand due to my changing image, the 49 I felt was a good steal the a10 the very next hand made me feel like id get played back at .Ive made it to lots of final tables without ever a showdown ,using proper timing and spotting weakness and understanding what my opponent has and what he likes to do and HOW MY OPPONENT VIEWS ME AT THE MOMENT IS KEY. hope that rant helps you somewhere in at the table.So to back my words Iv won the 1k gtd 5 max 518$ 1st place and the 5k turbo 1st place 1350$ in the same day couple months ago and I won this freeroll while writing this post 1st/736 players h15$420k freeroll lol I know and won 2.20 ticket to a satellite just as bad as the first hahahah and fifth hand in a guy out of position calls my 3rd continuous preflop raise flop comes J 10 6 rainbow he bets half I check raise him all in he calls and shows AJ I show QQ turn comes a J and ends my career again.Back to the freerolls for me... well if you read my rant thanks and whats good with a rant response You know you got it in you!just RANT! logically of course in your perception theres no right or wrong poker is very complex the right and the wrong answers are both right. AKQ username on ACR mabey I'll see ya at the tables soon or in a cardschat members tourney hopefully :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Screenshot (59).jpg
    Screenshot (59).jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot (63).jpg
    Screenshot (63).jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Capture6.jpg
    Capture6.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 37
AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just some photos to brag! show us some awesome finishes if you got the screenshots lol

Attachments

• Screenshot (11).jpg
    Screenshot (11).jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot (10).jpg
    Screenshot (10).jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot (9).jpg
    Screenshot (9).jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot (12).jpg
    Screenshot (12).jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot (13).jpg
    Screenshot (13).jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 34
AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I could definitely take advice in bankroll management as I bought into this 22$ tourney with a 55 $ bankroll and hit a set of 9s on the flop against a cbet shoving opponent shoving with kk that gets all in with 2nd pair and turns the set of k's to kill my soul. Even after taking out various opponents variance kills at the finish line.
But would you recommend to anyone to actually grind pennies and not shoot for a better starting level in the first place. 50 dollars on ACR is NOTHING unless you doing penny games. I'd rather just keep restocking 50's and shooting for 1000+$ cashes personally. Did you ever do the freeroll phase like many of us poor unlucky online players and if not what was your first stakes?1/2 mabey? or r u a tourney guy?

Attachments

• Screenshot (32).jpg
    Screenshot (32).jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot (34).jpg
    Screenshot (34).jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I have always wanted to be the best poker player in the world since I was a child and read Phill Helmuths guide to limit holdem. Inside this holy grail of a book he explains people as animals and each strategy is adjusted to beat each individuals strategy/personality. Ive always thought to myself the strategy to beat the pros is not to use the strategy that they are using.but having a deep understanding of what they are doing and why they are doing it and understanding how to counter it. I have often found alotta of the counters to the pro moves (such as cbets) include check raises and floats to reraise either the turn or river depending on the texture and opponent.In tournaments using this outplay my opponent strategy using position and really gutsy online reads.I usually dominate the chip leader position the entire way or bust early. The downfall/Con of the counter strategy is how much the raises put me at risk if I did run into a set or two pair often times betting 2/3 of a pot just to win the pot which half the chips in said pot were mine(I ALWAYS try to isolate).Running into a table full of very tight slowplayers is also very bad for this if we see a flop but free blinds till then. The pros: My range is the entire deck I raise with position and spotting weakness. I can get more action than anyone by showing some of these bluffs.It than makes the table looser and I can get people to shove over me with second pair and draws.(when the time to manipulate the table is right )and switching gears.
If my 74 offsuit hits and I read my opponents properly I can get paid

I don't rely on cards so if I never get dealt a hand I can still make it far folding is a big key to winning and setting up an image. Iv raised with 49 and wouldn't limp or raise with A10 the next hand due to my changing image, the 49 I felt was a good steal the a10 the very next hand made me feel like id get played back at .Ive made it to lots of final tables without ever a showdown ,using proper timing and spotting weakness and understanding what my opponent has and what he likes to do and HOW MY OPPONENT VIEWS ME AT THE MOMENT IS KEY. hope that rant helps you somewhere in at the table.So to back my words Iv won the 1k gtd 5 max 518$ 1st place and the 5k turbo 1st place 1350$ in the same day couple months ago and I won this freeroll while writing this post 1st/736 players h15$420k freeroll lol I know and won 2.20 ticket to a satellite just as bad as the first hahahah and fifth hand in a guy out of position calls my 3rd continuous preflop raise flop comes J 10 6 rainbow he bets half I check raise him all in he calls and shows AJ I show QQ turn comes a J and ends my career again.Back to the freerolls for me... well if you read my rant thanks and whats good with a rant response You know you got it in you!just RANT! logically of course in your perception theres no right or wrong poker is very complex the right and the wrong answers are both right. AKQ username on ACR mabey I'll see ya at the tables soon or in a cardschat members tourney hopefully :rolleyes:
Hey! Sounds like your thinking about the game well!! Keep crushing & thinking about the game at a high level! Yes see you at the tables. I will be streaming on Twitch on Sunday (today) JeffgrossPoker.tv :)

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just some photos to brag! show us some awesome finishes if you got the screenshots lol
nice shots!!! keep it up :) hope to see you on twitch today! JeffGrossPoker.tv

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I could definitely take advice in bankroll management as I bought into this 22$ tourney with a 55 $ bankroll and hit a set of 9s on the flop against a cbet shoving opponent shoving with kk that gets all in with 2nd pair and turns the set of k's to kill my soul. Even after taking out various opponents variance kills at the finish line.
But would you recommend to anyone to actually grind pennies and not shoot for a better starting level in the first place. 50 dollars on ACR is NOTHING unless you doing penny games. I'd rather just keep restocking 50's and shooting for 1000+$ cashes personally. Did you ever do the freeroll phase like many of us poor unlucky online players and if not what was your first stakes?1/2 mabey? or r u a tourney guy?
I started at .25/.50... bankroll is a bit complicated as often your money you put into poker at one given point isn't your final roll as you have other money. Good to keep it separated though! All the best & okay to go for it now and again!

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm kdawg71 on ACR. Ever so often I get in a really bad funk. I feel as though I am making the correct plays, yet it's darned if I do, darned if I don't. The question I have for you is how do you deal with the mental aspect of the game when deep down you truly feel as though you are making the correct plays yet it seems as though you are getting penalized for making them. Truly in a bad funk kdawg71.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually did try to watch you on stream today It wasn't you though it was some other guy. I probably got rerouted do you have a specific time you usually do on twitch?
hey a good way to get the cardschat peeps on your channel would be to stream the cardschat ACR tourneys. We'd love to watch something we all actually play in and we'd prolly be telling our friends hey watch this guy to watch us lol. no BS people love themselves at the poker table more than anyone else if you could incorporate the cardschat community in your stream and mabey even do some commentary on cardschat final tables live. You'd probably get a good hundred subscribers each time. Well if you do decide to let me know I'll help spread the word, and thanks for joining our community!!!

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest regret was making an emotional shove in South Africa Alpha 8 $100,000 buy in. I had played well that tournament even having a nice 4bet bluff on Phil Ivey pre flop. It ended up being a mtt that turned into a SNG w/ only 10 total entrants. 3 Paid out and I was chip leader w/ 4 left. Myself, Jungleman, Jason Mercier & the one amateur who had 4bb at one point only when the other 3 of us were healthy. I called his all in utg 4 handed w/ J4ss which was marginal and then few hands later shoved on Jungleman's open w/ A8o and he called w/ 88. I knew he was gonna be opening super wide and give me lot of credit but he called and I lost. Jason Mercier was very short also and would have shoved from the BB and busted... that was a $200,000 min cash and it was also the longest flight in the world at the time Joburg to Atlanta... That hurt badly & took a while to shake off. Playing the bigger buy ins I sell action as well and was just a tough one to swallow to give that report knowing I made an error. It was a good lesson but also one that I won't forget.

I think the play was solid it coulda been 77 or kq suited running it for his life but running into 88 was just bad luck unless you were hoping for bubble money(than fold/sitout). We play for first around here.Really not so bad sounds like the money, the flight and letting your backers down is what hurt u the most. the decision of raising with a5... were you actually raising a5 or were you stealing? if you were goin for the steal it was great spot, and unlike most i'll tell you folding waiting for the cash is a long term losing strategy

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

NICE SHOTS? ITS BLURRY AS HELL YOU CANT EVEN SEE NAMES LOL well ty for being supportive and positive I didn't realize they were gonna be of poor quality but I'm check shoving with air on that statement lol. I actually asked tammy how to fix the photos she is the best!Tammy Recommended me to use Gyazo photocapture free easy and no ads or stuff* She also has a perfect avg ROI on ACR of -100%. I dare someone to try to accomplish that feat, only Mike Matusow is that unlucky lol sry off topic...……………... Im all in...… Now that I won that pot!Nice bluff!!but Its a white bluff and you even said your weakness is bluffing that you don't do it often enough lol*pours salt in wound maniacly* Instead of my feats you must suffer through my personal "Beat To Death" forum of monstrosity of existence. Its only 1 page long so its not torture and most of those beats happened all in one day.It is a freak of Nature and a sight to behold and NO the photos are garbage but YES you can see the cards.:D oooohhhh you're livestreaming right now the venom sunday million huh!! HERES THE LINK CARDSCHATTERS LETS RAIL!

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/bad-beats-vents-71/beaten-death-394149/

https://www.twitch.tv/jeffgrosspoker