James Holzhauer Jeopardy Appreciation Thread

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since the champ said in one of his mid-show interviews that he “majored in online poker,” I figured this was good to post here in general poker.

I really enjoyed watching him crush on the show, especially with making the big correct gambles that so many contestants are too risk adverse to do. Most of all, it was so nice to have a clean-cut highly intelligent person that is also a professional gambler. He said on Twitter that he wants to help destigmatize gambling, and I feel he did (and still is doing) just that.

Way to go, James, and congratulations on such an amazing run!

Anyone else on CardsChat that also really enjoyed watching him play?

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I sure enjoyed his run while it lasted and, clearly, so did a lot of other folks. The ratings were through the roof. I thought it was funny when Alex asked James about his desire and possible future in working in baseball analytics. He remarked that this was before he realized that he could have a career on Jeopardy. What a truly remarkable mind and I agree that he did represent his gambling profession very well.

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just had to look this up, I'm not a big jeopardy fan but the strategy involved was interesting, all it takes is for someone to have a different point of view on how the game is played. Over all a good story. I will be watching more videos about this man and his jeopardy run!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loved it! I don't get to watch it often but was pulling for him and love how he represented our industry!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will be watching more videos about this man and his jeopardy run!

I particularly liked the poker/gambling metaphors he would use during daily double wagers, such as “All the chips!” [emoji23]

Kirs10c

Kirs10c

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since the champ said in one of his mid-show interviews that he “majored in online poker,” I figured this was good to post here in general poker.

I really enjoyed watching him crush on the show, especially with making the big correct gambles that so many contestants are too risk adverse to do. Most of all, it was so nice to have a clean-cut highly intelligent person that is also a professional gambler. He said on Twitter that he wants to help destigmatize gambling, and I feel he did (and still is doing) just that.

Way to go, James, and congratulations on such an amazing run!

Anyone else on CardsChat that also really enjoyed watching him play?

I wonder what Online Poker Room he played in and his screen name. Anyone know?

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wonder what Online Poker Room he played in and his screen name. Anyone know?

I’d love to know that and find out if I played against him at some point!

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Dang it! I miss everything now because I never watch live TV anymore, and somehow my DVR had dropped recording Jeapordy. :bawling: But I'm thinking I'll be able to watch on Hulu on demand? Hopefully? My oldest daughter and I will likely end up binge-watching Jeopardy if that's the case.

YungWan

YungWan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't watched Jeopardy in years though I did watch a rerun of James Holzhauer's last game on Monday. Pretty sick how he changed the game with his strategy of picking the toughest questions first hunting for Daily Doubles!

Also very impressive that the contestants only missed 1 question the whole game! Jeopardy got a lot tougher since I last watched it! :eek::congrats:

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't watch the show but I work for Orange County Government and Emma, who beat James, used to work at our library right down the street from me. I remember her working behind the counter. She is a Jeopardy freak. Tried out for the show four times before getting selected, then had to go against James.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty sick how he changed the game with his strategy of picking the toughest questions first hunting for Daily Doubles!

Yes it is! Will be interesting to see how common sticking with his (vastly superior imo) strategy is or if eventually it will taper off to the “old way” before too long. My guess is that the majority of contestants will go to the old style eventually, mainly due to rampant risk aversion, but that we’ll also see more runaways from the heros that stick with the new way!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watching Jeopardy now just isn’t as fun without James competing [emoji24]

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Watching Jeopardy now just isn’t as fun without James competing [emoji24]
I was able to catch the last bit of his games, so we're going through 2 or 3 a night. He is definitely a character!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was able to catch the last bit of his games, so we're going through 2 or 3 a night. He is definitely a character!

That’s a fun idea! I did miss some of his games initially so I’ll have to go back and watch. Did you record them on your tv or are you watching with a streaming service?

Becky Eubanks

Becky Eubanks

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I so enjoyed watching him, my husband thinks Emma was related to him LOLOL !!!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't watch the show but I work for Orange County Government and Emma, who beat James, used to work at our library right down the street from me. I remember her working behind the counter. She is a Jeopardy freak. Tried out for the show four times before getting selected, then had to go against James.

That is interesting to know.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
That’s a fun idea! I did miss some of his games initially so I’ll have to go back and watch. Did you record them on your tv or are you watching with a streaming service?
I have Hulu Live, so we're recording them through there. We had Jeopardy programmed to record, but somehow I think when we switched from regular Hulu to Live it messed it up, so we've missed a bunch. But getting back on track now.

Fun Fact: My oldest daughter LOVES Jeopardy. She took the online test for the Teens tournament a couple of years ago, and was invited down for an audition. She did great with the mock games and interviews, but had such a hard time on the written test. I was out of town, her dad had taken her down to LA, and she, her dad, and two sisters all shared a hotel room...oof! Her dad kept her up all night the night before with his snoring, so she could barely keep her eyes open during the written test. :( She said it was so quiet in there, and she was so exhausted, she just kept drifting off. She was so disappointed, but I'm trying to get her to try out again. We're keeping an eye out for more online tests (only now she'll need to do the adult one :D ).

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the Hulu Love tip—didn’t know you could record with it. We just have normal Hulu but have been thinking about upgrading.

That’s so cool about your oldest daughter, wow! I hope they release the next online test soon and that she’s the first to get on! :)

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thanks for the Hulu Love tip—didn’t know you could record with it. We just have normal Hulu but have been thinking about upgrading.

That’s so cool about your oldest daughter, wow! I hope they release the next online test soon and that she’s the first to get on! :)
Me too! And yeah, you have to pay a little extra for the DVR I think, but worth it, since I rarely sit and watch shows at the time they come on.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Awesome, thanks for the info, Tammy! :)