Ivey mucks the winning hand - checked to the river!

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hahahahahahahahahha, PRICELESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS...

I mean, I've done that before, and felt stupid as hell, but then again, I'm not a WORLD PRO

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you missed the point (again).

The simple fact is that people (including Phil Ivey) make mistakes. Like it or not, you can't debate it...no one is perfect.

Sure they do but I think you are missing my point (again). No one expects Phil Ivey to be perfect - of course he makes mistakes - but something like that is beyond a mistake, it's borderline incompetent.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure they do but I think you are missing my point (again). No one expects Phil Ivey to be perfect - of course he makes mistakes - but something like that is beyond a mistake, it's borderline incompetent.
LOL...if you think someone (even a pro) forgetting they had one card of a particular suit is borderline incompetent, then you clearly know nothing about the brain functions of the majority of human beings that don't have an eidetic memory.

Definition of "mistake" - First line: a wrong action attributable to bad judgment or ignorance or inattention;

Oh, I suppose the other possible answer in all of this is that you've chosen to take such a ridiculous contrary stance simply for the sake of arguing and inflating your post count. I doubt (for the most part) that that's the case, but if we're randomly going to latch onto silly claims then this one fits right in with the same type of rationale.

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL...if you think someone (even a pro) forgetting they had one card of a particular suit is borderline incompetent, then you clearly know nothing about the brain functions of the majority of human beings that don't have an eidetic memory.

Definition of "mistake" - First line: a wrong action attributable to bad judgment or ignorance or inattention;

Oh, I suppose the other possible answer in all of this is that you've chosen to take such a ridiculous contrary stance simply for the sake of arguing and inflating your post count. I doubt (for the most part) that that's the case, but if we're randomly going to latch onto silly claims then this one fits right in with the same type of rationale.

Sure, the definition of mistake is a wrong action attributable to bad judgment or ignorance or inattention but that's NOT what most people consider a mistake in poker. A mistake in poker would be making a bad play, making a bad call, over betting, misreading an opponent, etc. Forgetting one's hole cards when you have the nuts and not bothering to take a look at them before you fold is beyond any reasonable mistake in poker -yes, it's borderline incompetent - and if it was anyone other than Phil Ivey that did that we would be laughing at them, calling them a fish and saying they shouldn't be playing poker.

And comparing my responses to your posts to someone that's doing it for post counts is laughable. I'm the one with 25 or so posts - you're the one with thousands - who do you think post count matters to??? :lol:

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure, the definition of mistake is a wrong action attributable to bad judgment or ignorance or inattention but that's NOT what most people consider a mistake in poker. A mistake in poker would be making a bad play, making a bad call, over betting, misreading an opponent, etc.
I think most people would say that it is a HUGE MISTAKE to forget your hole cards and/or failing to check them then muck like he did. His mucking was very "bad judgment" and directly attributable to his "ignorance" of what his hole cards were and/or to his "inattention" to what the board was or when looking at his cards. Seems to me that what happened in this case fits perfectly into the actual definition of mistake. You don't get to short cut or modify/tailor the definition to exclude the items you can't address as part of your stance. I'd agree with the items you noted as being mistakes in poker specifically, but the definition doesn't stop there.

and if it was anyone other than Phil Ivey that did that we would be laughing at them, calling them a fish and saying they shouldn't be playing poker.
I'd laugh at anyone including Phil Ivey. I think it was an incredibly stupid thing to do as well. But speak for yourself about the playing poker; I want people like that at my table.

And comparing my responses to your posts to someone that's doing it for post counts is laughable. I'm the one with 25 or so posts - you're the one with thousands - who do you think post count matters to??? :lol:
Good, you actually got my point. Assuming my claim was actually absurd and one with which you vehemently disagree with, if I would now continue to argue it by modifying definitions and making other random claims then maybe you can actually see how that would look from the a rational perspective.

Oh, and on a side note, we actually do get a lot of noobs that come in spamming their post counts with complete crap in hopes of getting to 65 posts so they can try to get into our freerolls. We not only delete crap postings on a regular basis but we have also had to actually ban members for repeated crap postings that wouldn't heed a warning or infraction. So while it might not be true in your case (and I wasn't actually accusing you since I haven't reviewed your posting history yet ;)), it is actually a very real issue that we need to deal with.

coolnout

coolnout

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I liked the segment ESPN did with Ivey for their final table where he said he kept rewinding it cuz he was sure "they made a mistake"... LOL. :)

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think most people would say that it is a HUGE MISTAKE to forget your hole cards and/or failing to check them then muck like he did. His mucking was very "bad judgment" and directly attributable to his "ignorance" of what his hole cards were and/or to his "inattention" to what the board was or when looking at his cards. Seems to me that what happened in this case fits perfectly into the actual definition of mistake. You don't get to short cut or modify/tailor the definition to exclude the items you can't address as part of your stance. I'd agree with the items you noted as being mistakes in poker specifically, but the definition doesn't stop there.

I'd laugh at anyone including Phil Ivey. I think it was an incredibly stupid thing to do as well. But speak for yourself about the playing poker; I want people like that at my table.

Good, you actually got my point. Assuming my claim was actually absurd and one with which you vehemently disagree with, if I would now continue to argue it by modifying definitions and making other random claims then maybe you can actually see how that would look from the a rational perspective.

Oh, and on a side note, we actually do get a lot of noobs that come in spamming their post counts with complete crap in hopes of getting to 65 posts so they can try to get into our freerolls. We not only delete crap postings on a regular basis but we have also had to actually ban members for repeated crap postings that wouldn't heed a warning or infraction. So while it might not be true in your case (and I wasn't actually accusing you since I haven't reviewed your posting history yet ;)), it is actually a very real issue that we need to deal with.

Looks like we somewhat see each others points, lol....it's as close as we're going to get anyway....lol. I still believe that "mistake" and certain other ones combined to cost Ivey the tournament. Because of those mistakes, Ivey, IMO, did not deserve to win the tournament.

T

TheWall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ivey made one mistake, beyond that he is a self made millionare. You can make a big deal out of this if you want, but in reality it doesn't matter. He is still better then any of us will ever be.

B

bilgert

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That only goes to show you- even the best can screw up hard. Take that to heart when you bust out of your 0.10 Sit N Go :)

S

skullomaniac

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw this live and I was speechless...

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ivey made one mistake, beyond that he is a self made millionare. You can make a big deal out of this if you want, but in reality it doesn't matter. He is still better then any of us will ever be.

Actually he made several mistakes - that we know of - he probably made several other that we don't know of. Folding JJ to 7-7 was a huge mistake earlier.

canucks921

canucks921

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw this on TV, I must sAy I love Norman Chad, he made it even better with his comments. Best quote Phil your banned from the big game for 30 days. I love it.

D

DrChaos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
anyone knows at wich time of the day this hand was?

i think , perhaps he was tired and not concentrated.
it will happen from time to time, but he was unlucky that
it was on the featured table...

G

getpokerskills

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Smith says "ace," calling out his pair.

Ivey mucked his hand. Seconds later, you can see it on Ivey's face that he realized his mistake. He even mumbled "wow," which is a lot for a guy who barely speaks at the table.

Not Sure what time of the day this was but I do know there were just 26 players left and Ivey surrendered a pot of 2.18 million chips with that error.
It's like Usain Bolt running the 100m in 11 secs or summat. Or Tiger Woods Missing a tap-in putt. It's not supposed to happen, and it rarely does.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands