Ivey mucks the winning hand - checked to the river!

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Saw that last night on ESPN,,, made me feel better to know even the great players make mistakes,,, does the look on his face right after he mucked say he realized it just then?
Take care

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was waiting for someone to post this video.. Was on chat with some folks last night when we seen this.. That was nuts.. I was like did he just muck his cards? Wowsers

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea i saw this last night on tv as well..i was like wtf..really?..and the pot was like 2.5 million chips...mistake on his part

coolnout

coolnout

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DanielBreckner (Observer): phil u mucked the best hand in the main event
DanielBreckner (Observer): haha
DanielBreckner (Observer): really sick
DanielBreckner (Observer): u saw that?
Phil Ivey: thx daniel
Phil Ivey: lol

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Couldn't believe it when he didnt bet the river, then he mucked his hand after it went check-check - :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Im sure there will be plenty of ribbing going on this week after it was aired lol :D

Velutha

Velutha

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ouch....perhaps this is the kind of situation he wanted to avoid/why he rejected ESPN when they wanted to make his table the featured table early on in the tournament (ruining everyone else's chance to play on tv for one session in their life).....this hand will definitely get scrutinized for a long time:eek:

Last edited:
Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ouch and this coming after ESPN is trying to help poker along by putting the best on the cover in the middle of football season, the best does something like this. Not helping poker. lol

Mortis

Mortis

Skeleton Crew
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Ouch and this coming after ESPN is trying to help poker along by putting the best on the cover in the middle of football season, the best does something like this. Not helping poker. lol

It's not hurting poker, either. Saying Ivey is not helping poker because he made a mistake is like saying Peyton Manning isn't helping football because he made a fumble.

This shows even the best pros in poker can make an amateur mistake.... and he still made the final table.

Agile Beauce

Agile Beauce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To err is human. I guess that means Phil Ivey is human after all. And all this time I thought he was some super human poker player. He is still my hero!

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nahh hes still a super human poker player in my eyes lol...i would much rather watch ivey sitting at a table saying absolutely nothing ..than i would to watch mike "the mouth" matosow say 200 words per minute

pfb8888

pfb8888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i mucked a straight in 1/3 limit live once after playing 10 hours cause i saw my opponents 2 face cards and thought he had a higher straight ...
-a horrible feeling as i realized it as my cards hit the table..
- but the worst part was the other player wanted to see my cards......and the dealer turned them up even though they hit some other mucked cards...and the whole table got to see my mistake...

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i mucked a straight in 1/3 limit live once after playing 10 hours cause i saw my opponents 2 face cards and thought he had a higher straight ...
-a horrible feeling as i realized it as my cards hit the table..
- but the worst part was the other player wanted to see my cards......and the dealer turned them up even though they hit some other mucked cards...and the whole table got to see my mistake...

If the player that "won" the pot wanted to see your cards, and the dealer flipped them over, you should have been awarded that pot!!!!!!!

When a players asks to see cards, if it was the player you were betting against the cards are live, if it was anyone else at the table, the cards are dead.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When a players asks to see cards, if it was the player you were betting against the cards are live, if it was anyone else at the table, the cards are dead.

Is this really true? What if the cards touch other mucked cards?

I always like to learn the nitty gritty rules. You never know when they might come in handy at the table!

-Dave

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its interesting that this was discussed in the latest inside deal and it was concluded that it won't have much effect on Phil. And the truth is that even great players make mistakes. It is all about how you deal with them.

Heck, I made one mistake yesterday that could have cost me the final table (loosing half of my huge stack before the bubble with a not so great all-in raise), but was I concentrating on my mistake? No, I was trying to look for other opportunities to make up for what was lost and I was cocentrating on how to play that hand better in the future.

So I'm sure that Phil will adjust a bit and might try to look at his cards before he folds, but I find it interesting that this hand has caught so much controversy.

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting hand. Everybody makes mistakes. I think shortly after he mucked he realized what he would have won the pot.
I still consider Ivey in the top5 pros. It was just a mistake. :)

valientone

valientone

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that seriously upset me when i saw that... that was a pretty big pot that got mucked and threw away for no reason.. i guess you really do got to show no matter what.. you never know when u got the best hand..

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sorry but if you're supposedly the best player in the world, playing for the biggest crown in the world - at that stage of the event - a mistake like that is inexcusable.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sorry but if you're supposedly the best player in the world, playing for the biggest crown in the world - at that stage of the event - a mistake like that is inexcusable.
So if Tiger Woods was in a sudden death playoff for the Masters' championship and he sliced into the rough right off of the tee, then that would be inexcusable to you as well? Or if the best QB in the NFL throws an incomplete pass while playing the worst team in the league, that would be inexcusable? Last time I checked they were all human and humans are not perfect. So where does a goofy perspective like anything less than perfect is inexcusable come from. To expect absolute perfection in all situtations all the time from anyone (including those considered to be some of the best at what they do), is just ridiculous. LOL

ZZFLOP

ZZFLOP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

After all those hours of play, a mistake is excusable, happened to me to on-line before I knew there was something like a 4 coloured deck.

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Proves he`s human, everyone screwes up now & then,, buck:)

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After all those hours of play, a mistake is excusable, happened to me to on-line before I knew there was something like a 4 coloured deck.

No, I respectfully disagree. I've played for over 30 hours straight before - LIVE - not online and I can assure you I never mucked a flush. If I see myself getting weary or tired, then I just start to turn over my cards - winning or losing hands. (Unless it was a complete bluff). Even in a situation like that - say he is tired - couldn't he just shove his ego aside and take a look at his cards before mucking???

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a mistake is excusable,

No, I respectfully disagree.
LOL Having an expectation of absolute perfection from anyone in anything ever is absurd.

So if Tiger Woods was in a sudden death playoff for the Masters' championship and he sliced into the rough right off of the tee, then that would be inexcusable to you as well? Or if the best QB in the NFL throws an incomplete pass while playing the worst team in the league, that would be inexcusable?
??

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL Having an expectation of absolute perfection from anyone in anything ever is absurd.

??

You're comparing apples to oranges. Tiger Woods missing a shot would be comparable to Ivey making a bad play or even a bad call, etc. NOT him mucking a winning hand because he forgot what suit he was holding. Ivey mucking that hand would be comparable to Tiger Woods shooting for the 18th hole while he still was on the 17th hole. SOMETHING THAT TIGER WOULD NEVER DO.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you missed the point (again).
Jack Daniels said:
Having an expectation of absolute perfection from anyone in anything ever is absurd.
The simple fact is that people (including Phil Ivey) make mistakes. Like it or not, you can't debate it...no one is perfect.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands