Is it possible to win with a fragile mind?

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think it would be a terrible Idea to play Poker if your mind was on other things, like an argument with a partner, or some other event like losing a loved one. You are never 100% focused on the game and will make some really stupid moves that others will take advantage of.
Bad Thoughts = Bad Poker!

S

Shaka1984

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
The stronger you are of mind, the better you will play, someone with a fragile mind tells you that.

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Having a strong and resilient mindset is generally beneficial for success in poker. However, it is still possible to win in poker with a "fragile mind," although it may present certain challenges. Here are a few considerations:

1. Emotional Control: Poker can be a mentally and emotionally challenging game, and maintaining emotional control is crucial. A "fragile mind" that is easily affected by emotions such as tilt, frustration, or anxiety can lead to poor decision-making and impulsive actions. Developing strategies to manage and regulate your emotions is essential for consistent success in poker.
  2. Focus and Concentration: Poker requires focus and concentration to make optimal decisions. If your mind is easily distracted or prone to wandering, it can impact your ability to analyze situations, read opponents, and make strategic moves. Cultivating focus and concentration through mindfulness techniques or mental exercises can help mitigate the effects of a fragile mind.
  3. Self-Awareness: Understanding your own strengths, weaknesses, and mental vulnerabilities is important in poker. Recognizing when your mind is in a fragile state allows you to take proactive steps to mitigate its impact on your game. This may involve taking breaks, seeking support from peers or professionals, or implementing stress-management techniques.
  4. Seeking Help and Support: If you struggle with mental fragility or find that it significantly impacts your poker performance, it can be beneficial to seek help from a mental health professional or a poker coach who can provide guidance on developing a stronger mindset. They can assist you in identifying and addressing specific challenges and help you build the mental resilience necessary for success in poker.
While a fragile mind may present challenges, it's important to remember that mental states can change and improve over time with the right strategies and support. Developing a strong mindset and emotional resilience is a continuous process that can positively impact your overall poker performance and well-being.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do find as fun as poker is, if you have a lot on your mind it can interfere with my play. I try to relax, maybe have a drink, before I play :)

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I agree, I share the same opinion. During the game we go through different uncomfortable situations that bother us, so to make the best decision possible we must of course stay focused. This quality requires a strong mind.

A strong mind requires work because we are humans, not robots. Today, several solutions are at our disposal to improve our mind such as books, coaching videos and courses offered (our Cardschat community offers a course on this subject).

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
as Lavoisier said, in Nature nothing is created, nothing is lost, everything is transformed .... The ideal is to seek the path and the attitudes to transform a fragile mind into a strong mind trained for whatever comes and comes. in poker terms the 1st step train patience and acquire game volume, train pulsh and fold, try to combine theoretical knowledge with practice, set reachable goals, have a focus, go up step by step

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker demands that you be strong in play and in mind, therefore no you cannot win with a fragile mind

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
After all the skill, patience and observation of playing styles, just remember, it’s always good to be lucky late in the game

ghitocarcia

ghitocarcia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Being with your mind in other thoughts, you can hardly win, but it is not impossible, the luck factor has to enter, now I would not understand why some players do it, when they should first solve their ideas or wait to be more optimal

testing826

testing826

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lucky to be good so go for it and forget tilt

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
no u need to be tougher if u want achieve your goals.

Arthurinacio17a

Arthurinacio17a

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
you need to control your emotions

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It is possible to win with a weak mind and lose with a strong mind.
Everything is possible where there is the luck factor.
More or less frequently depending on how you play the game.
But luck and bad luck will always play tricks on poker no matter how well you play.

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
A fragile mind? The rainman could do the math. I'm sure there are poker savants in the world!

Arthurinacio17a

Arthurinacio17a

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Luck has a large percentage in poker

C

cowboybebop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ofcourse not, you cant be fragile with anything in life if you want to exceed expectations, its simple as that.

W

Wega85

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
you do need a sharp mind to play poker. you going to loose otherwise

km1n

km1n

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I dont think so . You can win a tournament dollars in cash games but in poker to have a good mind setup is important

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are psychologically unstable, then the win rate will be negative. Poker is a game that is very sensitive to decisions.

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hello peeps.

I am not sure what you personally mean with 'fragile mind' , so I searched for that terminus and found a quora answer that I´d like to take as a definition until you offer us your personal understanding or meaning of a 'fragile mind':

"A fragile mind is often used to describe a mind that is easily affected by negative experiences or stressors, and may struggle to cope with difficult situations. It can also refer to a mind that is prone to mental health issues such as anxiety, depression, or PTSD.[..]"

First things first:
I got bipolar desease, schizophrenia and some other medical issues that qualify me having a 'fragile mind' I guess. Some days more, some days less. I won´t talk about acute phases of mania or schizoprenic psychosis, because it´s generally not a good idea to handle with money during those days. I also have a very strong sense of justice, which makes it harder for me than for others to accept terrible plays followed by badbeats emotionally and i am hot tempered as well.

To topic:
"Only by a miracle can you win any game with a fragile mind.":
That statement is way too absolute. Therefore it has to be wrong. As long as the 'fragile mind' owner, who simply isn't as resilient as others, manages not to overburden himself (play less tables and shorter sessions), he won´t explode, tilt or simply ruin it. Every child has some sort of fragile mind where emotions can easily take over the thought processes if they are done for the day. But as long as that doesn´t happen, they don´t cry and are able to play chess at high levels.

"Even with the best strategy, without a solid and structured emotional structure, you will not be a profitable player."
Ok coming out: My emotional structure in general is a mess. Deep inside I tilt every badbeat I suffer and sometimes the emotional state is even more intense than tilt. Often I am so mad I want to cry, but I can´t. But I just don´t let these emotions take over control over my actions Instead I always stick to "best practises"/strategy. What sometimes happens is the "**** it"-state I´d call it. I simply lose interest if hands get too absurd and than I might lose the most.

What you feel, what you wish, what you suffer, what you think - it doesn´t matter. Just your actions do. Just like the titanic band playing while the boat sinks. Learn to control your own fragile self and you can win lots of chips like any other player, too.

My overall answer is: Yes. Fragile personalities can be outstanding successful in a lot of environments. Also playing poker.

Unbenannt

Last edited:
Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think this happens. Rarely, but it happens.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think about the short distance, you can just be lucky and anyone can win the tournament - just luck - this is not bad and attracts many players, but over the long distance showing a positive result is not given to everyone and for this you have to work hard on your game