Is it possible to study the game TOO much?

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just curious, where did you get that ratio?

i've heard it here before. but i just can't find it now. i'm thinking now it was like 3:1. as a remember they said if you played a 3 hours session you would have 1 hour to review it after. the hour studying could be used reviewing posting hands on cards chat. reading... but i know i've heard a few times since too.

NBA2K10ROCKETS

NBA2K10ROCKETS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is possible to study the game too much especially if you are talking about studying meaning reading poker books since there are alot of poker books that have different views and different tactics. If you do too much studying then your game can be ruined because of the different precautions and rules different books stress to the readers. I think it is better to learn how to play poker by experience just play play chips or small cash game to get a good feel on how you like to play and what styles of play is most successful to you. I think that poker books are completely bogus because there is no right way to play poker, and there is not one way to be successful for example phil helmuth and gus hansen they both play such different styles and they are both very successful playing poker throughout their carreers.

M

MsDonkDonk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there is a difference between online poker and live poker when it comes to this question. I don't think you can ever study too much but I am not sure it really helps me as much with online poker. Also, imo the more I study the more I notice that it is just different players opinions of what is best to do.

DrumDemon

DrumDemon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok guys, I am NOT book bashing. I think you would be stupid not to stand on the shoulders of giants. Just be careful not to fall off and get trampled by them either haha ;)

I might as well throw this out there, I am not a new player. I have been playing and studying for years. This is simply one of those times where I find myself questioning my strategy. I find myself wondering if this is just a down swing or if I am doing something wrong.

Frankly, I think the notion of just grabbing some cash and hitting the tables ridiculous. Sure, you will learn what works through trial and error but why? Why not get a helping hand along the way?

Maybe I should have worded things differently to begin with. Everyone ready for 20 question? :p

What do YOU do while trying to adapt a new nuance? Do you drop down a level? Do you bite the bullet and plug ahead? What do you do if you try something different and suddenly find yourself bottoming out? Is is a bad run or bad play? How do your tell? What if it IS just a bad run and the strategy is sound? Do you go back to your original game plan?

Top 10 Games