Is it possible to have a natural ability for poker?

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it possible to have a natural ability for poker?

Yes, although this ability consists of many different factors, which more or less can improve by study and experience.

To name a few....ability to adjust to the situation if certain factors ask for it.
Ability to control your emotions.
Ability to do the math on the fly.
Ability to be honest to yourself.

Maybe you could think of some abilities for yourself.
Important though is to realise which your weakest abilities are, because those are the areas where's most room for improvement.

C

chloebrand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I believe that some people have a natural talent for poker. But I would be willing to bet that most things come natural to you without much effort. The only downside to that, is you may not ever see your true potential at poker. Being naturally gifted at something is awesome, but the downside is that you probably will get bored of the game. Or when it is time to take your game to the next level, you'll find yourself lacking the discipline to learn how to improve your game. Those are some of the negative aspects at being a natural. I may be way off, you may be the most focused, disciplined, and eager to learn player on the planet. If you are, congratulations on the massive success you will have on the felt.

T

Tiago Pratas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the time is the best teacher in poker. not believe there is a natural talent .. yes some are luckier than others lol

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you can have natural ability for anything, but you still need to put the work in to make anything out of the natural ability...

abit like being naturally good at football, but if you don't have positional awareness then you are just a player that 'could be good'...ye have to work at it to make the most of your potential.

everyone has a natural ability at something or many things....mines is not poker, but juggling...can juggle 6 oranges..now that's natural ability right there :)

ViresIntus

ViresIntus

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Natural ability only comes into play when doing Live games. Online games no, but in live games you can read opponents. Take away the reading aspect and then yes, it becomes either dumb luck or skill level.
Be aware though, poker can be very misleading, earning you hundreds on day and losing thousands the next. So if you feel as though your gifted then dont rely solely on that. Study hard, play harder, achieve perfection.

Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My son taught me poker and he has better poker ability cause he bluffs more easily than me. I am too hesitative and prefer limp and fold to raise and call.

How sweet! :) Whats the age gap between you two?
bluffing definitely comes to me naturally, I quite enjoy it! Once you have the correct read on your opponent you can take full advantage like stealing blinds and position!

Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I believe that some people have a natural talent for poker. But I would be willing to bet that most things come natural to you without much effort. The only downside to that, is you may not ever see your true potential at poker. Being naturally gifted at something is awesome, but the downside is that you probably will get bored of the game. Or when it is time to take your game to the next level, you'll find yourself lacking the discipline to learn how to improve your game. Those are some of the negative aspects at being a natural. I may be way off, you may be the most focused, disciplined, and eager to learn player on the planet. If you are, congratulations on the massive success you will have on the felt.

Nope, your fairly spot on there Chloe :) I usually only play for a couple of months at a time. So your right if Im not winning I get bored & move my focus on to something else. I'm definitely one who likes to see results quickly so I know this goes against me for poker! Especially when we are not meant to be results orientated..for me this is very hard!

Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was the same way didn't want to learn the game and mostly just guess at odds. I do seem to do pretty well but, now i regret not learning. I would like to learn the odds, the thing is its so hard to retrain myself and don't even know where to start.

Have you got any poker books CS238? They go through it pretty indepth, especially Harringtons!

T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some people are naturally aggressive and risk takers. These qualities can transfer well into poker but all the probability and odds stuff is something that needs to be learned. Being able to read peoples hand ranges and betting habits etc is a skill you improve over time I guess... In short... I don't think it's natural ability... you learn the game and practice it... some people are good, some are bad, some improve with practice or study etc...

F

Frozenfinn77

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the time is the best teacher in poker. not believe there is a natural talent .. yes some are luckier than others lol

I think some poker stars are natural talents that love poker.

Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people are naturally aggressive and risk takers. These qualities can transfer well into poker but all the probability and odds stuff is something that needs to be learned. Being able to read peoples hand ranges and betting habits etc is a skill you improve over time I guess... In short... I don't think it's natural ability... you learn the game and practice it... some people are good, some are bad, some improve with practice or study etc...

Nice point Tosh! Our personality traits may by default help or hinder our gameplay. Which I guess is why psychology is also considered an important aspect of poker to study. So maybe instead of a natural ability it could be considered more of a natural advantage due to our personality! :)

S

supapro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
would be nice to be a legitimate physic

BiliousBetil

BiliousBetil

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Natural ability is a little hard to come by - consider the well known story of how long it took Phil Ivey to develop his game.

However, consider this: Let's say you're sitting in a home game at a nuclear research lab, and you're accidentally bitten by a radioactive grinder. Can you see the possibilities? :D

Cheers!